JADU attached to SFR on r-2 lot in LA?

JADU attached to SFR on r-2 lot in LA?

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi All-

There seems to be a ton of confusion in the market regarding the new ADU laws in Los Angeles near USC. I'm in escrow on a great SFR with an oversized garage that I'd like to convert to an ADU. Everyone says that's no problem. However the numbers look much better if I can add a JADU on the lot at the same time. One person says this is the way to go. Another says I can't do it because my lot is zoned r2 even though it technically can accommodate up to four units. Anyone know what the true answer is?

Also I’ve heard the owner occupancy rule for JADUs is waived until 2025 to encourage investment. Is there any truth to this? Many thanks! 




0Reply
11 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4y

    Per my understanding of the CA laws, Junior ADU's can only be done on single family lots and no, they did not waive the owner occupancy law to encourage investment. The law specifically states that in the JADU situation, the owner must occupy either the primary home or the JADU, no exceptions. The law was enacted to increase housing supply, though I think this is not the real answer, just the politicians grandioso ideas.

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 952 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

    Per my understanding of the CA laws, Junior ADU's can only be done on single family lots and no, they did not waive the owner occupancy law to encourage investment. The law specifically states that in the JADU situation, the owner must occupy either the primary home or the JADU, no exceptions. The law was enacted to increase housing supply, though I think this is not the real answer, just the politicians grandioso ideas.

    Will, what about an SFR on a R2 lot? I would think that, if the current use is single-family, an ADU and JADU would be allowed. As I understand it, an SFR on an R2 lot doesn't qualify for two detached ADUs because the use isn't multifamily. I could be wrong, of course! Your thoughts?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jon Schwartz:
    Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

    Per my understanding of the CA laws, Junior ADU's can only be done on single family lots and no, they did not waive the owner occupancy law to encourage investment. The law specifically states that in the JADU situation, the owner must occupy either the primary home or the JADU, no exceptions. The law was enacted to increase housing supply, though I think this is not the real answer, just the politicians grandioso ideas.

    Will, what about an SFR on a R2 lot? I would think that, if the current use is single-family, an ADU and JADU would be allowed. As I understand it, an SFR on an R2 lot doesn't qualify for two detached ADUs because the use isn't multifamily. I could be wrong, of course! Your thoughts?

     That is a very good question, not sure if the law deciphers between current usage or not. I would guess not simply because how could they track usage change (legal or otherwise) to circumvent the law? Great question, I am really not sure of the answer here.

  • Realtor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 952 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Will Barnard:
    Originally posted by @Jon Schwartz:
    Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

    Per my understanding of the CA laws, Junior ADU's can only be done on single family lots and no, they did not waive the owner occupancy law to encourage investment. The law specifically states that in the JADU situation, the owner must occupy either the primary home or the JADU, no exceptions. The law was enacted to increase housing supply, though I think this is not the real answer, just the politicians grandioso ideas.

    Will, what about an SFR on a R2 lot? I would think that, if the current use is single-family, an ADU and JADU would be allowed. As I understand it, an SFR on an R2 lot doesn't qualify for two detached ADUs because the use isn't multifamily. I could be wrong, of course! Your thoughts?

     That is a very good question, not sure if the law deciphers between current usage or not. I would guess not simply because how could they track usage change (legal or otherwise) to circumvent the law? Great question, I am really not sure of the answer here.

    Usage is recorded separately from zoning. If you look up an LA City property, for example, on ZIMAS, you'll get both Zoning and Use Code. For example, my old neighbor 2225 N Vestal is zoned R1-1VL, but the Use Code is "0200 - Residential - Double, Duplex, or Two Units - 4 Stories or Less." It's a duplex in single-family zoning. 

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks all! Finally got a call back from LADBS today. They actually told me that on this lot I can have up to 5 units I can develop a duplex with a rec room that I can convert to another unit and then put a duplex ADU situation in the back so that was great to hear!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.