JADU attached to SFR on r-2 lot in LA?

5 Replies | Los Angeles County, California

Hi All-

There seems to be a ton of confusion in the market regarding the new ADU laws in Los Angeles near USC. I'm in escrow on a great SFR with an oversized garage that I'd like to convert to an ADU. Everyone says that's no problem. However the numbers look much better if I can add a JADU on the lot at the same time. One person says this is the way to go. Another says I can't do it because my lot is zoned r2 even though it technically can accommodate up to four units. Anyone know what the true answer is?

Also I’ve heard the owner occupancy rule for JADUs is waived until 2025 to encourage investment. Is there any truth to this? Many thanks! 

Per my understanding of the CA laws, Junior ADU's can only be done on single family lots and no, they did not waive the owner occupancy law to encourage investment. The law specifically states that in the JADU situation, the owner must occupy either the primary home or the JADU, no exceptions. The law was enacted to increase housing supply, though I think this is not the real answer, just the politicians grandioso ideas.

Originally posted by @Will Barnard :

Per my understanding of the CA laws, Junior ADU's can only be done on single family lots and no, they did not waive the owner occupancy law to encourage investment. The law specifically states that in the JADU situation, the owner must occupy either the primary home or the JADU, no exceptions. The law was enacted to increase housing supply, though I think this is not the real answer, just the politicians grandioso ideas.

Will, what about an SFR on a R2 lot? I would think that, if the current use is single-family, an ADU and JADU would be allowed. As I understand it, an SFR on an R2 lot doesn't qualify for two detached ADUs because the use isn't multifamily. I could be wrong, of course! Your thoughts?

Promotion
Speed To Lead
Buy hot seller leads w/o subscription
Buy daily seller leads that are actually ready to sell
Finally there's a place where you can buy leads that asked for urgent help selling their house
Originally posted by @Jon Schwartz :
Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

Will, what about an SFR on a R2 lot? I would think that, if the current use is single-family, an ADU and JADU would be allowed. As I understand it, an SFR on an R2 lot doesn't qualify for two detached ADUs because the use isn't multifamily. I could be wrong, of course! Your thoughts?

That is a very good question, not sure if the law deciphers between current usage or not. I would guess not simply because how could they track usage change (legal or otherwise) to circumvent the law? Great question, I am really not sure of the answer here.

Originally posted by @Will Barnard :
Originally posted by @Jon Schwartz:
Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

That is a very good question, not sure if the law deciphers between current usage or not. I would guess not simply because how could they track usage change (legal or otherwise) to circumvent the law? Great question, I am really not sure of the answer here.

Usage is recorded separately from zoning. If you look up an LA City property, for example, on ZIMAS, you'll get both Zoning and Use Code. For example, my old neighbor 2225 N Vestal is zoned R1-1VL, but the Use Code is "0200 - Residential - Double, Duplex, or Two Units - 4 Stories or Less." It's a duplex in single-family zoning. 

Thanks all! Finally got a call back from LADBS today. They actually told me that on this lot I can have up to 5 units I can develop a duplex with a rec room that I can convert to another unit and then put a duplex ADU situation in the back so that was great to hear!