• San Jose, CA
Votes |
Dealing with Code Enforecement Inspector in San Jose

Deddy W.
  • Investor
  • San Jose, CA
Posted Aug 14 2017, 12:41

Hello good folks of BP,

I need your suggestion on how to deal with Code Enforcement Inspector in San Jose, CA for unpermitted work. Here goes the story:

I purchased the property, in July 2017, it is a Single Family Home in San Jose Downtown area. The previous owner had remodeled the whole house without permit and had converted the garage into a 1 bed 1 bath. The original house is about 1400 sqft, 3 bed 3 bath, lot size is 4410 sqft, zoning R2. Right after I purchased, I had my contractor came over and did some work on the house. Now the not fun part...

A San Jose Code Enforcement Inspector sticked his name card in front of my front door. When I called him, he mentioned that he got a complaint from my neighbor, so he came over and took pictures through the windows and front glass door of the current work that is being done. He came over the next day and mentioned that I do not have permit on the record for all the remodel, electrical work and everything. He said houses in the area was originally built with 1-2 bathrooms, so he said the bathroom addition was unpermitted as well. Also the converted garage need to be converted back. He left after asking for my phone number.

I'd like to get some thoughts on this matter from BP folks, what do you think is the best course of action on resolving the inspection?

Also, if possible I'd like to keep the converted garage. Claiming it as accessory dwelling unit seems out of the question since the lot size is only 4410 sqft. However, with the R2 zoning, do you guys think I could claim it as a duplex?

Many thanks in advance! I'd really like to get out of this mess as soon as possible and continue investing

Loading replies...