When getting into property management, is it practical to be licensed in real estate?

When getting into property management, is it practical to be licensed in real estate?

Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote

I'm just starting off in investing. Looking to be as calculated as possible in this endeavor and at the moment I'm absorbing as much as I can about the process. I'm considering getting a real estate license in order to solidify and develop skills to pursue property management to the best of my ability. I've not been in a career field that has developed any skills I'll be utilizing in this so I'm wondering, would it be a good idea to get a real estate license? How many fellow investors in this community have a real estate license but focus mainly on property management? I'd appreciate any advice or stories that can be shared. Thank you for your time. 

1Reply
43 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Most states require a real estate license, many a broker's license, to manage real estate you don't own.

    Recommend Googling California's requirements.

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I got my license to sell real estate as an investor to save on commissions and get access to the MLS. That turned into me being one of the top agents locally. Which turned into us managing over 300 units.

    Yes, I would highly recommend getting your RE license.

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    To clarify I'm looking to manage properties that I do own, but I feel from just what I've learned so far that getting my real estate license would help me manage my own properties. Do any of you own your own rental properties and have a real estate license? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.