What I Learned About Taxes When I Scaled Into Multifamily

What I Learned About Taxes When I Scaled Into Multifamily

Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 3 votes

One of the biggest mindset shifts for me moving from single-family to multifamily was realizing that cash flow and taxable income are two very different things.

Depreciation and other non-cash expenses can significantly change how income is treated for tax purposes, especially in larger properties.

I recently put together a short video walking through this visually using a multifamily case study, in case it’s helpful for others who think better with examples:  https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1FwE9RA4Pj/

Curious how others here explain this concept to newer investors.

0Reply
56 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9mo

    There are no major differences from a tax standpoint when comparing a SFH vs MFH.

    There might possibly be an incrimental increase of assets eligible for bonus depreciation via a cost segregation study, but that difference is negligible.

    Multi-family homes provide economy of scale but no additional tax benefits.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.