The Most Underused Tool in Real Estate Isn't Software. It's Your Phone.

The Most Underused Tool in Real Estate Isn't Software. It's Your Phone.

Real Estate Consultant · Houston TX · Member since 2021 · 122 posts · 92 votes

I called a property manager last week to ask about vacancy rates in a submarket I was looking at.

Simple question. Thirty second answer expected.

Eighteen minutes later I knew the vacancy rate, which landlord in the area was quietly bleeding tenants because he hadn't fixed the HVAC in two years, which broker had three off-market deals he couldn't publicly list yet, and I had two new phone numbers in my hand I didn't have before I dialed.

All because I asked one question and then shut up.

This is not a skill. It is a decision. Pick up the phone and ask something. People in real estate talk. Especially when someone is actually listening.

The intel you get from one honest conversation with someone who works in a market every day is worth more than three hours of Googling. And it costs you exactly nothing except the mild discomfort of calling someone you don't know.

Most investors are out here paying for data subscriptions and attending networking events with name tags.

Meanwhile the property manager, the code inspector, the title rep, the municipal permit clerk, they know everything. And nobody is asking them.

It's not just about who you call. It's about knowing what questions are worth asking in the first place. Thirty years on job sites and in boardrooms teaches you that. You start to know which thread to pull, and which conversations are going to be worth eighteen minutes of your time before you even dial.

Information is gold in this business. The phone call is free.

Make the call. Ask the question. Then stop talking.

And if you ever want to talk to someone who already knows which questions you haven't thought to ask yet, you know where to find me.

5Reply
94 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Abel CurielBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @JS Burnett:

    I called a property manager last week to ask about vacancy rates in a submarket I was looking at.

    Simple question. Thirty second answer expected.

    Eighteen minutes later I knew the vacancy rate, which landlord in the area was quietly bleeding tenants because he hadn't fixed the HVAC in two years, which broker had three off-market deals he couldn't publicly list yet, and I had two new phone numbers in my hand I didn't have before I dialed.

    All because I asked one question and then shut up.

    This is not a skill. It is a decision. Pick up the phone and ask something. People in real estate talk. Especially when someone is actually listening.

    The intel you get from one honest conversation with someone who works in a market every day is worth more than three hours of Googling. And it costs you exactly nothing except the mild discomfort of calling someone you don't know.

    Most investors are out here paying for data subscriptions and attending networking events with name tags.

    Meanwhile the property manager, the code inspector, the title rep, the municipal permit clerk, they know everything. And nobody is asking them.

    It's not just about who you call. It's about knowing what questions are worth asking in the first place. Thirty years on job sites and in boardrooms teaches you that. You start to know which thread to pull, and which conversations are going to be worth eighteen minutes of your time before you even dial.

    Information is gold in this business. The phone call is free.

    Make the call. Ask the question. Then stop talking.

    And if you ever want to talk to someone who already knows which questions you haven't thought to ask yet, you know where to find me.


    Well said, JS!

    So many folks with info are putting themselves out there online as well... there are houseflippers in my market doing dozens to 100s of deals annually who still answer all of their DMs.

    REbuild Team - eXp Realty5234 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Houston TX · Member since 2021 · 122 posts · 92 votes
    5mo

    Abel,

    Being available is vital.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.