International Investments: What is your opinion?

13 Replies

Good day BP members!

I was wondering, what do you feel about investments in foreign market like Asia? Do you think investing in other countries is a good move?

Thank you very much and your opinion will be much appreciated :)

Originally posted by @Richmond Jasper Cu :

Good day BP members!

I was wondering, what do you feel about investments in foreign market like Asia? Do you think investing in other countries is a good move?

Thank you very much and your opinion will be much appreciated :)

Hi Richmond,

I heard from fellow Australians the market in the Philippines is growing at a rapid pace.

When investing out of state or overseas, one must have trusted eyes and ears on ground in order to succeed.

Just my opinion.

Thanks

I lived in the Philippines from 2004 to 2006 and can tell you it is a minefield to buy any property there, UNLESS your wife/husband or family are Filipino.

There is the rule of law (mostly) there, but the corruption in the civil system will boggle your mind.

I lived and worked in an around Asia for about 20 years and the only place I would feel comfortable buying property/houses is Japan. But, even then there is tons of bureaucracy to overcome. I have a friend who owns several SFH in Japan, but you don't "really" own them unless you own the land - which is another can of worms.

I have several colleagues who are married to Thai women and they seem to have good luck buying personal residences.  One personal friend owns several rental condos in Thailand and makes decent money doing it, but he has lived and been in business in Thailand for more than 20 years - I am telling you it is not for the faint of heart.

I firmly believe in diversifying my real estate holdings out of just one country and just one currency.  When housing prices crashed in the U.S. they rose in other markets.  

We are personally and professionally invested in Belize, we see it as International Investing with training wheels.  Same language, pegged currency and culturally familiar, and on its early growth trajectory. 

I would say start with the rule of law first and then work your way down from their.  If property rights are not respected, no matter how hot a market it is, or how good the long term sustainable growth drivers are, stay out of the market.  

Good Day, @Engelo Rumora

Thank you for your advice sir, currently i'm living here in the Philippines and to be honest, what you're saying is true, the growth of real estate here in the Philippines is increasing quarterly. Sir Engelo, what about the market there in Australia? How is it there? In the near future, I want to expand my investment to other countries other than Philippines.

Hi Paul Granneman!

True, for foreign investors to acquire land property here in the Philippines, they must be married to a local or they must have a trusted Filipino Citizen who will be the one to carry the name of the title, on the other hand, foreign investors can invest here without getting married to a Filipino citizen by buying condominiums and letting them rent.

I heard that it is good to invest in Japan, that was one of my plans but land in Japan is a bit expensive for me because I'm just a starting investor. 

In Thailand, do I need to get married to a Thai women in order for me to acquire a property?

Good day Sir Eric Tait,

Thank you for your advice, I will keep that in mind! To think about it, it is easier to communicate and exchange information if I will invest in a familiar culture and language

Originally posted by @Richmond Jasper Cu :

Good Day, @Engelo Rumora

Thank you for your advice sir, currently i'm living here in the Philippines and to be honest, what you're saying is true, the growth of real estate here in the Philippines is increasing quarterly. Sir Engelo, what about the market there in Australia? How is it there? In the near future, I want to expand my investment to other countries other than Philippines.

Thanks Richmond,

I haven't been in Australia for over 2 years now but can comfortably say that its too expensive for what I look for in my investments.

I invest based in cashflow and the numbers in the deal today and not future capital growth speculations.

The US is a great cashflow market at the momnt.

Especially the Midwest.

Thanks

Thanks Engelo,

The US market is one of my goals in the future, I heard that it is really good to invest there, but unfortunately as of the moment, my capacity is until Asia only, maybe in the future we can talk again and help me invest there in the States. Lets keep in touch! Appreciate your advice Sir Engelo, Thank you

Hi @Richmond Jasper Cu  , 

In regard to Japan, agreed the price of land is very expensive, but also, it depends what you're looking to buy. To avoid a large land bill, smaller single unit apartments in bigger buildings can be very affordable and provide a nice return. With the Yen falling in value, there are even more good buys available. It's actually quite affordable and a good entry point to the Japan market and international investing experience.

Hello Walter!

Thank you for your advices sir, to be honest, I am also thinking about Japan. For me, Japan is also attractive when it comes to investments, if I may ask, are there any restrictions for foreigners to invest in Japan?

Thanks!

Hi @Richmond Jasper Cu  , there are no restrictions for foreigners to invest in Japan and properties are freehold. Occasionally, some properties in the bigger cities are on leased lend, which I would avoid, but for the most part, freehold with unrestricted purchasing access (i.e. buy as many as you can afford).

Hi @Richmond Jasper Cu ,

There is a trend right now of investing in Asian properties to take advantage of the currency. The Japanese Yen, for example,is at ¥123 to US$1.

The attraction to investing in Japan properties is mainly for monthly cash flow. With prices so low and on the rise, it is an active and healthy market. 

Aside from the financial benefits, because of Japan's traditional and reserved culture, investors don't have the hassle of worrisome tenants and can trust the integrity of professional services without having to even visit the property.

So, yes, I think the time is right for investing in Asia.

Originally posted by @Walter Ichikawa-Doyle :

Hi @Richmond Jasper Cu  , there are no restrictions for foreigners to invest in Japan and properties are freehold. Occasionally, some properties in the bigger cities are on leased lend, which I would avoid, but for the most part, freehold with unrestricted purchasing access (i.e. buy as many as you can afford).

from my understanding the market a very unique opportunity for us foreigners because the rising demand for the smaller single occupant rooms.  but you do have to jump through a few hoops to get there. for a new investor it is a worthwhile market to get yourself into.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here