What kind of car do you....

5 Replies

...use when visiting rental properties or meeting with tenants/applicants?

I noticed the what kind of car threads are popular so I figured this was an interesting question and a twist on the what type of car do you drive type threads.

This topic always interests me. IMO its better to drive something not too flashy when working with tenants or applicants, doing repairs ect. My work vehicle is a great condition 2002 4Runner and I think it is a little too fancy some times, not that a 2002 4Runner is anything special. It does make me chuckle when I see tenants that can't pay rent and drive a better car than their LL, I don't chuckle if they are my tenants, lol.

I've talked to REI (AKA the PM as far as anyone else is concerned) that drive Corvette's, BMW's, Porches etc. to rental properties! Not that that is bad, whatever works for you but I am curious to hear how it goes or if there have ever been any problems driving nice cars to properties.

I drive a Prius C its not flashy and gets great gas mileage for all the driving i do. However before the Prius i drove a 97 honda civic delsol. that was also super low-key. 

I drive a 2001 Dodge Ram pickup, but mainly because if I'm at the property I'm hauling tools or ladders or something. My daily driver is nothing special, an 8 year old Volvo S80, but I don't worry about what the tenants think about what I drive. 

My philosophy is that if you have good tenants with good values, they'll pay their rent and take care of your place. What you drive won't change their value system and make them want to take advantage of you. By the same token, if you have tenants with bad value systems, they'll try to take advantage of you regardless of what you drive or how you dress. 

When I was a tenant, seeing my landlord drive a flashy car made me feel bitter. I kind of felt that I was helping to pay for that car that the landlord was so proud to own. That being said, I don't think a 2002 4Runner is a flashy car...maybe if it were a 2015 model...but "flashy" to me is more of a luxury brand, not really Toyota.

Natasha,

I agree a 2002 4Runner is not flashy by any means but it looks nice and is a lot nicer than most cars in my rental neighborhood.

@Brett Russell   I think that thread is more about what you drive in general. I'm talking more specifically what you drive around tenants/prospects and especially want to hear from those that drive nice cars to "work".

And I agree I should be able to roll up in a gold plated diamond encrusted Lamborghini and it have no effect on weather or not a tenant does or should pay the rent, but some people may not look at it that way.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.