Disclosure

6 Replies

I am seeking knowledge and wisdom from seasoned Investor/agents. How do you go about your advertising? Direct mail, bandits signs etc..I dont know how laws work in every State, But at least here in Utah If you are a licensed real estate agent you must disclose this in ALL your material. If any of you are investor/agents any tips on how you word your advertising would be great. Im having a hard time picturing working Bandit signs that say "Ill buy your house in any condition. equity real estate"  This could be a reason why some investors stay UN-licensed Lol thanks a million in advance :)

I'm always curious about that, in other states where people say in All advertising you must disclose.  Here it's any advertising, where you're acting as an Agent, not as an investor.

Can you quote the exact language of your law?

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

I'm always curious about that, in other states where people say in All advertising you must disclose.  Here it's any advertising, where you're acting as an Agent, not as an investor.

Can you quote the exact language of your law?

Ill look for it and copy and paste when i find it. Im from SLC, Utah...Funny that you're from Florida..Im planning on relocating in a few months to the sw area. Since I have you here, if I have my license in Sarasota county for example, could I sell property in a different county? Here in Utah I can sell all over the state even though I belong to the Salt Lake Board....curious of what the Florida law is. Thanks!

@Esaul Viramontes as per law, yes. Also to receive the stated buyer commission on a listed deal(without having to get a commission agreement from the listing broker) you have to have an affiliation with that local MLS board.....but most have a reciprocal agreement with almost all others in the state.

In Utah, if you are a licensee or broker, you must disclose that fact when you make offer (disclosure of interest clause on an Addendum), or when you advertise a specific property  (usually you would include a statement like "owner/agent", or "agent is related to seller"). 

When advertising for real estate services you must disclose your broker name. 

Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks :

@Esaul Viramontes as per law, yes. Also to receive the stated buyer commission on a listed deal(without having to get a commission agreement from the listing broker) you have to have an affiliation with that local MLS board.....but most have a reciprocal agreement with almost all others in the state.

Good to know :) should I decide to put an offer before getting my license down there I'll keep you in mind! Thanks again!

Keep in mind that many municipalities prohibit bandit signs (hence the name).  Your broker probably won't be too jazzed getting a call from city zoning enforcement.

Search here for "yellow letters".  There are some good discussions about levels of professionalism from coffee stains to letterhead.  It may give you some ideas.

We use the license as a selling point.  We are licensed and bonded and have passed FBI background checks.  

Of course some folks will always think they're getting a better deal from some fly-by-night outfit.  But just as many folks will choose the professional approach over the coffee stains.

Wm

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here