How to Network successfully at a young age?

5 Replies

How do I successfully network and expose myself to Investors, Agents, Brokers, Etc.? I've been looking for different ways to show people that I am passionate about what I want to do, but this is my first time actually attending an REIA in North San Diego. Although I am excited to actually meet new people, I am concerned that I might say the wrong thing at the wrong time. I intern for a local REE, but I also want to make my own connections and stay connected! What is the best and most effective way to make myself stand out?

Thanks

Phillip Joo

Wow - you seem very mature for a 17 year old.

Don't worry about saying the wrong thing, if you say it enough you'll learn to say what you want to. Personally, if I tried to learn everything I would be spending all my time in the classroom rather than the field.

Go out make as many inexpensive mistakes as you can for 29 days a month, the other day of the month close on a property.

Good luck.

I'm with Jonathan here--don't overthink it.  Just get out there and be yourself.  Observe others and don't make the discussion all about you.  Ask thoughtful questions and see what others are saying and doing.  Note the styles you like and the ones you don't.

If you are ever in south San Diego I would be happy to meet with you.  I hope my teenager is this motivated, way to go!

Vincent

Just get out there and meet people. Its entire okay to look new and be new, in time you'll know more and be better prepared. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Nice meeting you yesterday.

Get out there! Do not overthink it!

You will stand our tremendously by sticking your hand out - Stating your name and that your are interested in investing. 

The rest will come in time, but just like your post the squeaky wheel will get the grease make sure you ask thoughtful questions. I have set goals over and over again and set plans on how to reach them. They have all taken different paths than I planned on paper.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you