• Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Votes |
How did you spend your time today?

James Wise#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH
Posted Sep 1 2016, 15:09

As a company grows an owner must work on the business and not in the business. This means that the owner must put themselves further and further away from the day to day activities that they once performed when they started their business. 

My company The Holton-Wise Property Group is no different. As of this forum post we have over 50 employees; a far stretch from where we started. When we started the company consisted of a Realtor and a General Contractor buying houses together and doing everything themselves. Tenant screening, painting, lawn cutting etc...

Once a month I like to make sure I get myself back in the field and get a feel for the portfolio and where exactly we are at on a ground level. Typically I hang a contact info sign while I do this. Gives the community someone to call in the event of an emergency and well lets face it, it ain't bad for brand awareness either.

Yesterday, after I spent all day in the field I got to thinking about how the way I spend my time has changed some much as Holton-Wise has grown which then led me to think about all the other things most people spend their time on. Things like Pokemon Go, Candy Crush, Colin Kaepernick and Chris Brown fill everyone's day. The folks wasting there day on that nonsense are often the same people that wonder why they have not achieved their financial goals.

Perhaps it's because they are squandering their most precious resource...Time.

I like to think those of us on BiggerPockets use our time a little more effectively. After all we are here instead of reading about the Chris Brown standoff right?

Which brings me to three questions for all Bigger Pockets members.

• What did you spend your time on yesterday?
  • Could you have used your time more wisely?
  • How did that activity help to grow your business?

Please leave a response to each of those questions and also let us know where you are currently at in your business. Are you just starting out? Widely successful or perhaps somewhere in the middle?

Loading replies...