James Marszalek
  • Property Manager
  • Tacoma, WA
Posted Nov 8 2016, 17:02

1. Generate Leads

2. Analyze Deals

3. Make Offers

4. Rinse and Repeat

These are the only tasks that designate a Real Estate Investor. If you aren't doing these things, I'd argue you aren't an investor yet. Seems simple though, right? You might be reading this saying, "Sure, James, I understand the concept of what you just said, but it's much deeper than that". I've heard that before, and you're right. But, if you wake up every single day without a deal and without a lead, remembering these 4 steps and applying them will get you in the right place to win. 

I'd encourage everyone reading this to go out and find 1 deal a day. Want to do a fix and flip? Pick a property (or get an agent to send you one) EVERY SINGLE DAY. Pretend! Pretend you have the money in the bank right now to finance the purchase, closing costs, holding costs, and renovation. Everyone wants to get hung up on the money! Assume money is no problem. Look at the deal itself. Analyze the deal. Estimate costs, and start putting together your puzzle. If you did this for a whole month straight, you'd know exactly what to say to a money man investor once you found the deal of a lifetime because you've got analyzing the deal in your muscle memory! 

As an agent/investor, I see SO many new people paralyzed by their own fear of the unknown. I'm telling you from experience, jump into this with both feet. It's like playing Wargames. Hundreds of scenarios are played out to find the one that ends in victory, but you can't come to find that scenario until you run through all the rest! Don't be afraid of the unknown. Put the ammo and tools (education) in your arsenal so nothing scares you! With the right resources, and an open and creative mind, there isn't a deal that you couldn't do. 

Last word: I told you not to worry about the money. Because if the right deal comes along, and you don't have the money, you'll have the motivation to go out and find the money. So, while you're analyzing deals, and building up your knowledge arsenal, start building relationships. Get infused into your local community. Meet one person who knows 100 people. Meet contractors and lenders and agents and other investors and other people just like you!  

GOOD LUCK! 

Loading replies...