Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Investor Mindset
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Timothy W.#3 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Votes |
What if there is no housing "recovery"?

Timothy W.#3 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Posted

One of the things I always try to be conscientious to is herd mentality. Recognition of herd mentality and the pure luck of a well timed divorce kept me from investing in real estate in 2007 and waiting until 2008 when I could get property at 20% of 2007 prices. Recognition of herd mentality also pushed me to start flipping a rental here and there in the past couple years when post sub prime fallout out, everyone thought the answer was in buying steady, secure, cash flowing rental properties rather than flipping.

There's a new herd mentality and you can see it by reading what the majority of posts assume here and any other place on real estate investing is discussed. It's the assumption of recovery. Just like everyone assumed in 2006 that every flip could be profitable (look in the old posts on here - it's in there) everyone is assuming that these new lows in real estate pricing are just waiting for a market correction to bring them back up. That may be true but it's to the point now that your barber can tell you REOs are a good investment. When your barber can give you just as good investment advice as a financial professional that's not a good thing.

What if things don't change? What if these prices are the new norm for real estate? Are you mentally ready for that? Is your business ready for that? What are you doing to be ready for the chance that the herd mentality is wrong? What's your attitude, plan and strategy going to be?

Loading replies...