Investor Mindset

User Stats

Votes
Josh Teunissen
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Belgium, WI
Votes |
Entrepreneurial inspiration Ed, Edd, & Eddy?

Josh Teunissen
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Belgium, WI
Posted Jul 1 2017, 08:45

When I was an elementary school age kid, my favorite show was the cartoon "Ed, Edd & Eddy". The entire show was about three Eds trying to "scam" their peers or rather start businesses to sell things to other kids. Im not sure whether im a dreamer as a result of nature or nurture but I think this silly cartoon played a role in my early inspiration to build and create. 

This led me to writing and drawing my own coming books that I had plans to distribute at school. (Never went through). I had an idea to buy candy at Walmart and sell to my peers for cheaper than the cafeteria vending machines. I once used crayons to design and draw out the function of what I believed the first hover car would look like and how it would operate. I wish I still had this drawing. As a kid I loved art and drawing. I had big ideas about being a scientist, an artist, an engineer or something great.

Somewhere along the line I let teenage hormones and unfortunate life events get to me and I walled off this side of me. I came to believe that I should be greatefull for an average job and dreaming is unproductive and frankly rather heartbreaking. Because at that time my dreams and ideas had led to dissapointment, I would hear things like "that'll never work", "why would you want to do that?", teachers wanted me to be tested for attention deficit because my mind was always in the clouds. In all the classes I would hear something that would lead to an idea hatching in my head that I would have to explore and discover. I began to associate these negetive reactions to believing that I needed to change. Coupled with a confusing home life and I deserted this side of me for what I believed other people said I should be.

Fast forward to when I found bigger pockets and I've begun to meet and become reacquainted with the dreamer, the artist, the creator of great things. BP has shown me the possibility of light on the other side of the tunnel. BP is moulding me from a dreamer to someone who takes action towards those dreams. Because an idea is only that, an idea, if you don't explore the possibility. I want to thank everyone who posts content on Bigger Pockets for rekindling the fire for me. As far as taking action, I've made an offer on a duplex in my area and we're creeping closer to close

Thank you all sincerely, -Josh