Why and or what are investors fears to take action

31 Replies

I made a post on market place that I thought when I woke up today I would be inundated with Reponses.. and I can only ascertain there must be some fear or some type of lingering doubt in those that say hey want to get into the industry but won't take action. The position I posted about is a 6 figure income with health benefits.. I thought I would be flooded with young energetic I want to become a real estate millionaire LOL.. but crickets basically.. is there something that keeps people form taking action. or at least exploring opportunities .. or is BP just the wrong place to look for someone who wants a shot at some real income and learn the craft that few get to learn.

@Jay Hinrichs , it's a little intimidating with how successful you are, but here's my 2 cents.. 

People fear failure, people fear losing money and looking like a schmuck...   so maybe it's a confidence thing,  maybe it's an ego/pride thing that if they fail they'll look stupid.    Fear shows vulnerability, and while everyone has it, no one really wants to talk about it or admit it.    Experience is the only thing that removes fear IMO.

I will say,  before my partner/husband, I had always thought about it, and knew it was smart, but feared the logistical part of it as I have no rehab/construction experience... aka paying contractors $$$$  (expenses getting out of control)... so when he came along, knowing he could do all the construction aspect, and I could figure out the financial side, it was a great match and here we are!     

I say finding the right partner  and a great mentor is the best approach to get rid of fear!

@Linda D.   thank you for the response.. I am not looking for  the  thing everyone else on BP looks for.. IE you do the work and IF You succeed I will pay you a bird dog fee.. this is a full blown employment position with salary and full benefits and salary is 6 figures.. of course to land the position someone is going to have to have some experience.. but I figure a good agent or broker who is looking for a nice paycheck would apply.. training would be specialized to what I want to accomplish and off we go.. I thought I would get 50 responses.. I got one.. LOL.. So I am thinking maybe BP just is not the place to be searching for this and maybe I need to go to JOb sites.. which I am not sure what those are or where people look for jobs these days.. however I am very excited about this opportunity and its in Ohio just to put some context in it..

The vast majority of those on forums like BP that come on as wannabe investors will never move forward. Most are dreamers that quickly learn that real estate investing is not a way to get out of their present financial situation. It is hard work and requires discipline as well as cash. They do not have what it takes to be successful.

The reality is that except to the most highly motivated (1%) the reason they are where they are financially is the same reason they will never move forward with real estate investing.

They are looking for a quick fix to their present financial situation with little to no effort.

Same reason why so many people today live pay check to pay check. It is by choice.

@Thomas S. well if I am going to pay someone 10k a month for this job and full health benefits they are going to work the tush off  LOL...  this is an opportunity most dream of frankly..  like I said maybe BP simply is not the place to look for employees.. and or the fear of making larger dollars is just to  real..

Hi @Jay Hinrichs ,

I went to the Marketplace to take a look under "Job Opportunities" and didn't see it. It may be the location of the post itself as well.

@Mike Cumbie   I am pretty sure its there but not being a website expert I could have put it in the wrong spot but I did get a hit so some one saw it.. might have to take a different approach in this ..

@Jay Hinrichs

Wow, I just saw your thread and I can't believe people aren't beating your door down for that opportunity.

I would do it myself but I have a career I love.

Originally posted by :

. this is a full blown employment position with salary and full benefits and salary is 6 figures.. of course to land the position someone is going to have to have some experience....

I think experience may be the problem.  If someone has the experience, perhaps 6 figures is nothing for them.  Also, a move to Oregon may be a lot more exiting at 5 figures vs a move to Ohio with 6 figures :-).   Just a thought

Also, any time someone says.. UP to $xyzK salary, the wording conveys a commission or fee for performance type compensation model.  And typically, those are "too good to be true". 

This is what every guru (amazon drop ship, real estate, stock trader trainer, etc...) says, right?  "Retire in 5 years, IF you buy and follow my system", "200K+ income potential", and so on and so forth.

The opportunity is not as hot as you may think, unless I'm missing something.

Lastly, please consider the possibility that if a person is going to be bidding for all these properties, and getting a (presumably) small percentage of bids accepted, why should they cap their return by working for you?  They can do the same thing and not cap their return, right?  What is your unique proposition?  Especially for someone already experienced?

@Vladimir K.   I am not looking for someone to move to Ohio.. just some one who lives there and 100k to start 200 to 250k possible.. they need to make me millions and they will be rewarded..   but someone will pop up I am sure.. like I said I figured I would get 50 responses.. how better way to really dig into this .. then have me teach them the foreclosure business given them a check book with 2 to 3 million a month in it.. and have them go shopping.. and have them make some great money along the way..   I will find the person..  no more trying to wholesale deals and put deals together.. we BUY what we want then sell.. total control.

@Mike Cumbie   Thanks Mike for posting that I was worried about violating the rules and getting a nasty gram from Mindy :)   

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Vladimir K.  I am not looking for someone to move to Ohio.. just some one who lives there and 100k to start 200 to 250k possible.. they need to make me millions and they will be rewarded..   but someone will pop up I am sure.. like I said I figured I would get 50 responses.. how better way to really dig into this .. then have me teach them the foreclosure business given them a check book with 2 to 3 million a month in it.. and have them go shopping.. and have them make some great money along the way..   I will find the person..  no more trying to wholesale deals and put deals together.. we BUY what we want then sell.. total control.

Sorry, I added to my response without seeing yours.  Realistically, however, based on your experience,  what is the anticipated income on their first year? 

@Vladimir K.   well Vald great questions..

1. I was the largest foreclosure buyer in the Portland metro area for years.. so I have experience at this.

2. not a lot of people out there have millions of dollar of cash sitting in the bank that can be used for this business I mean true cash not loans.. which is what is needed in the foreclosure business.. so that rules out most folks.

3. Many folks want a steady pay check I am not basing this on per deal basis.. this will be salary.. ( but of course if they fail they will not be employed for long LOL.. ) just like any other business.

But those are good questions and I understand where your coming from.. and its good to have both sides of the conversation talked about.. and I agree there are plenty of you do the work I pay you bird dog fees IE whoelsaleing etc and I am pretty much anti wholesale.. as one its basically illegal the way its done.. and I always CLOSE on every thing I aim at.

We will see.. hopefully I can find a fit.. just need one... not looking to hire an army.

I used bidding services when I bought courthouse steps in Atlanta and Vegas.. and unfortuantly there are no bidding services in Ohio.. at least what I could find.. AZ has bidding services.. I would much prefer those as I don't have to hire anyone and I pay per project.. but it looks like unless I want to move to Ohio I need to hire someone..

@Vladimir K.   this is a salary postion.. for the right person 10k a month with bene's  but they are going to be very qualified .. if I can't find a rock star I will lower the pay and train them and pay tem accordingly.. someone who can come in and does not need to be trained will go on my payroll.  Like you I have been a broker for many years on the west coast I am used to working with agents and brokers that make 250 k plus .. heck my wife sold 16 million last year.. so you can do the math on here income alone.. although I never see any of it LOL.

@Jay Hinrichs Everyone wants to ask for others help and say if they only had money they'd be successful at this real estate thing, but no one really wants a job or to actually have to work for their money.  They want someone to give them a few hundred thousand dollars and let them do what those flippers on TV do.  Its just like the panhandlers with their "Will Work For Money" signs, if you offer them a job, they won't take

I honestly think you may be better off forgetting about someone with real estate experience, and find the best mid 20's-early 30's go getter proven sales person, who's proven they can grind but are in the wrong business to get over the 6 figure hump.  That's who I'd want on my team. 

If you decide to expand to Oklahoma, let me know. 

@Jay Hinrichs

Come on Jay, I didn't see the post but we are entrepreneurs . 

We would quit any job to work twice as hard and make half as much :) 

I think there is a different mentality of working FOR someone than working WITH someone.  I'd check out the ad but am not currently seeking employment but I'm sure if someone gets a chance to learn from you its worth their while :) 

@Jack Baczek   foreclosure buying at courthouse steps as you know is quite capital intensive..  Like in the bay area is you don't have 20 million liquid your basically wasting your time .. ( if your going to create a bizz out of it.

so most folks can put a few hundred grand together but it does not create deal flow I am giving them a chance to make a nice living and have access to bigger dollars..

Plus you have to look at the human factor.. having been in this game 4 decades I know many just can't do it because of family issues family wants need steady income.. think of those on BP that make it on there own its such small fraction of the US population as to not even register.. everyone else wants some security and paid benefits are always a plus.

@Jay Hinrichs  If I was just starting out I would def recommend a path like this. 

I was just re reading (listening to Think and Grow Rich Yesterday) and it talks about the guy who was dead set on working FOR Edison , 8 years later he ended up as a partner relationship. 

If I was starting out today (assuming no family out of college or during college), I would find who ever I liked the most and offer to work them for free and work my tail off until they hired me .  At least with you I can get paid and with a family its practical.  

Maybe if you get another MHP deal that you seem to stumble across , keep me in mind!

I once hired someone from BP and tried to work a base rate with commission on cold calls for deal sourcing.  The base rate was probably low but i was hoping to make it up on commission.   

Problem I think was didn't happen quick enough and I understand that so we parted ways.  We did get a small deal she made a touch on and we pitched them a couple bucks afterwards but the fit wasn't right.  

What people don't see the real value isn't in the compensation , its in the education , drive , and relationships .

Hope you get someone thats a right fit. 

** - if you are hiring looking to acquire more MHPs that you come across maybe we can chat ;)

@Jack Baczek   one of my parks closes next week.... CA based hedge fund buying it. but I am carrying some paper.

I guess I would consider the applicant pool.

They have to be on this website

They have to be qualified

They have to be in that area

They have to want that job

They have to see your thread

These requirements limit a lot of people

Also, I think the amount of people on BP versus the amount of people on BP who are actually active in the community is a deceivingly large disparity. I wish you the best though

That said, I know you do a lot of work in Vegas, if you have some opportunities that pop here, I'll chase you down like a stage 5 clinger ;)

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Vladimir K.   this is a salary postion.. for the right person 10k a month with bene's  but they are going to be very qualified .. if I can't find a rock star I will lower the pay and train them and pay tem accordingly.. someone who can come in and does not need to be trained will go on my payroll.  Like you I have been a broker for many years on the west coast I am used to working with agents and brokers that make 250 k plus .. heck my wife sold 16 million last year.. so you can do the math on here income alone.. although I never see any of it LOL.

Ah, that right there wasn't clear to me at all from the ad. If you wanted someone to do this for $100k base salary plus bonus/commission here in the Bay Area you wouldn't have an issue, I assume that's certainly the case in Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton. But if they don't know that it's $100k base salary, then it doesn't matter.

(I'll go ahead and underline the "base salary" component, and drop city name keywords for you so folks see that part, don't mind me)

Yes, exactly what @Chris Mason said. @Jay Hinrichs , I don't know if I'm the type of person you're looking for, but I might be. (Few years of high pressure finance experience, a lot of interest in real estate, tend to work until I drop, live in Cleveland.) And the way that ad is written, I wouldn't apply. It sounds like it's entirely commission based.

I immediately pass on job ads without a lot of details or requirements while promising hundreds of thousands of dollars. Especially if they include the terms "self starter" and "gig". They are almost entirely scams. You've unfortunately written an ad which fits right into that mold! :)

@Gwen Fyfe   thank you for the constructive feedback.. I will have to bone up on my ad writing skills.

after crickets I finally got some traction and have quite a few folks to get back to I am sure we will find our match there.

and one of the BP members who is a HML was so kind to float it out on his investor base there in OHIO and he got 10 hits for me. so looks like I have a good chance of finding the team I am looking for.. I apologize that my ad writing skills turned you off it was not my intent.. My intent is to find a person or team and make them a nice income and teach them the foreclosure bizz.. Which as stated is about as tough to break into as anything in this bizzness since there is no leverage and it requires a boat load of cash.. its not a smoke and mirrors talk some little old lady into selling her house for less than its worth LOL.. here we simply buy assets at the sheriffs sale no mystery just as I said a lot of leg work and you must have ALOT of cash to make a business out of it.. and I am not talking hundreds of thousands in my mind to make a business if you cant put 5 million in cash into play your not going far.. because other than your mom and pops that's what the other pro's have to work with.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.