Rural investments future prospects

3 Replies

The past increases in Urbanization indicate Rural land will continue to go down in price. However, I have been reading a lot of articles lately about young people who want to get back to roots and take up farming. What do you think the future will hold for rural America in terms of Real Estate? Do you think the balance will eventually shift, and people will move out of cities to plant seeds instead of into cities to plant seed capital?

Do you really think that the young generation is going to go back to farming.....?

I think that the future of transportation will change the rural landscape, but people will not move there to farm.

Things like the Hyperloop which allow people to travel from SF to LA in under 20 minutes will change the rural land between SF and LA because now people can buy an affordable home along this train line and they can work in both SF or LA and get to work extremely quickly.

farming is dominated in North America by big-ag. Not really much room for young people who would want to return to paddock. Best to use the Seed Capital on a different sector of real estate in this man's opinion.

An interesting question, and one I've thought about quite a bit.  I don't think the cultural change you're talking about - which I agree seems to be real and growing - will affect the midwest as much as it will affect rural properties around coastal cities which are just outside traditional commuting range.   I think the increases in those areas will resemble a kind of reverse bell curve, in which cultural values lie at the heart of the urban center on one end of the spectrum, and in the 2 to 50 acre properties which are an hour drive away on the other end.  The suburban sprawl in between will not see the gains of the other two (imho). 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you