Book Recommendations to Re-Light the Fire

24 Replies

Hey All! It's been a while since I've posted here, but I thought this would be a good place to come for some input. 

I've been a member for coming up on two years, and have been investing in real estate for a while longer than that, always part-time. When the market was 'bad' my wife and I were fairly aggressive, and we might be what a lot of newer folks consider 'successful' with our real estate investing. 

On top of our full-time jobs (my wife is an RN, and I'm an Automation Engineer) we own a small business that makes specialty service tools for a couple of specific industries. It's a small market, but lucrative, and there's a ton of room for growth in a couple of different areas. 

Most importantly, we have three children, and are in the final steps of adopting our 4th. 

None of these things are terribly new, and for years we've managed it all well - as well as any 'normal' people manage their 'normal' lives anyway. But for the last 3-4 months, I just can't seem to find my drive. I have all the opportunities in the world, but just can't seem to find the motivation to even try to capitalize on them, other than going through the motions. 

So I'm looking for some suggestions of great books to read that have helped you out of a similar slump. I've tried to get back to reading the business books that I have, but I can't even seem to focus on those the way I used to. It's just so much easier to pick up a fiction novel, or (horror of horrors) watch something on YouTube or Netflix. I've got a shelf full of business/motivational books, quite a few of them unread, but I really need something different to shake things up I think. 

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for specifically - I just need to bust out of this slump. 

Thanks all!

I hear you man. I hit a similar slump earlier this year.

I've found a lot of motivation from blogs and podcasts. Maybe that would help you more than a particular book?

I also started writing a blog, which has really been a game changer as far as motivation goes. Maybe that would help you? Doesn't matter if you're not a written. I'm not either.

Rob Drum, Real Estate Agent in AL (#112849)
205-253-8756

If you haven't read the 10X Rule by Grant Cardone then I would give that a try. This is one of the only books that I recommend listening to the audio book over reading a hard copy. He talks a lot about taking action and how success and taking advantage of opportunities are your duty to your family and community. This puts a little different spin on your typical self help or business book. Good luck!

Have you ever adopted before? I adopted 2 preschoolers in the 1990s. Both the kids came with undiagnosed emotional issues that took a lot of time, energy and therapy. Your RE motivation slump may be a blessing in disguise. Best wishes on your growing family!

I think your motivation is living in your house in those four precious kids. Sounds like your solid W2, RE, and small bus income is the tool that allows you to impact a child’s entire life. That’s amazing! Maybe you have an increasing role and influence in the adoption arena - maybe that’s your why.

Originally posted by @Bettina F. :
Have you ever adopted before? I adopted 2 preschoolers in the 1990s. Both the kids came with undiagnosed emotional issues that took a lot of time, energy and therapy. Your RE motivation slump may be a blessing in disguise.

Best wishes on your growing family!

Yep - all of our kids are adopted actually. We adopted our first daughter from Colombia in 2013, she's 8 now. Our oldest is 14, and our youngest is 5 - they were adopted at the same time from Armenia, and have been home about 2.5 years now. All three of our kids have Down syndrome, and the younger two are still non-verbal. 

The son we're about to finalize the adoption of is 10, hard of hearing (potentially correctable) and has Cerebral Palsy. 

And I completely agree, and really appreciate your tactful words of caution. If we weren't already experienced and comfortable handling children with histories of trauma and neglect, this adoption would weigh a lot more heavily on my mind than it does. As it stands, this is just what normal for us looks like - pretty similar to a family in their 4th pregnancy. Of course, most babies don't pop out the size of a 10 year old with all sorts of emotional baggage :-)

Originally posted by @Bryan Frost :

If you haven't read the 10X Rule by Grant Cardone then I would give that a try. This is one of the only books that I recommend listening to the audio book over reading a hard copy. He talks a lot about taking action and how success and taking advantage of opportunities are your duty to your family and community. This puts a little different spin on your typical self help or business book. Good luck!

I might have to suck it up and pick up a copy. And I say "suck it up" because I really, really don't care for Grant Cardone. I respect what he's been able to do with his business (assuming I have an accurate picture of it in my mind) but all the interviews I've seen with him (albeit short ones) and any of his articles that I've read just don't sit well with me, and I've always assumed his long-format stuff would be the same way. 

But it gets recommended to me constantly, so maybe I should get over myself and give it a shot. 

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Jason V. :

Yep - all of our kids are adopted actually. We adopted our first daughter from Colombia in 2013, she's 8 now. Our oldest is 14, and our youngest is 5 - they were adopted at the same time from Armenia, and have been home about 2.5 years now. All three of our kids have Down syndrome, and the younger two are still non-verbal. 

The son we're about to finalize the adoption of is 10, hard of hearing (potentially correctable) and has Cerebral Palsy. 

And I completely agree, and really appreciate your tactful words of caution. If we weren't already experienced and comfortable handling children with histories of trauma and neglect, this adoption would weigh a lot more heavily on my mind than it does. As it stands, this is just what normal for us looks like - pretty similar to a family in their 4th pregnancy. Of course, most babies don't pop out the size of a 10 year old with all sorts of emotional baggage :-)

Wow! Amazing!

Originally posted by @Bettina F.:
Have you ever adopted before? I adopted 2 preschoolers in the 1990s. Both the kids came with undiagnosed emotional issues that took a lot of time, energy and therapy. Your RE motivation slump may be a blessing in disguise.

Best wishes on your growing family!

I don’t know what you should read for real estate motivation, but I’m confident the rest of the world should read this story for motivation on being better people. 

My hat is off to you. Amazing, unbelievable and any other adjective I’m not thinking of. 

@Jason V. , first off 4 adoptions is amazing!  The opportunities you and your wife are providing these kids is incredible.  

I've only on my first flip but I have been selling cars for 30 years and for me I always seem to get reinvigorated when I spend time with new salespeople trying to help them, teach them.  They remind me of when I first started and was so excited to make a sale.  I've been doing it so long now that it sometimes seems like I'm doing it on autopilot but working with the newbies gets me inspired again.  Maybe you could spend some time with a newer investor and get back to the time when hunting properties and making deals drove you.

Try Millionaire Fastlane, it's a great book, different from all the rest, It should be enough to fire you up,........ that, & looking at your four beautiful children. Stay on BP, everyday.

Thanks for all the kind words about our family - they are appreciated. We're just normal people who choose to do things a little differently than everyone else, and are extremely fortunate to be able to do so.  We are incredibly Blessed by our children!

@Paul Bowers - Small World! Once upon a time I worked in sales for the Barnard dealership in Geneva, and I happen to be a Newark native. I'm sure we know a lot of the same people. 

@Jason V. I don't know what books to tell you to read.  I just try to read everything I can find time for. But your story is AMAZING!!  My wife started a non profit to help foster kids and families here on the Gulf Coast and we have discussed, especially recently, the idea of adopting a child with Down Syndrome.  I'd love to hear more about your and your wife's story of adoption someday.

Originally posted by @Scott Jeannerett :

@Jason V. I don't know what books to tell you to read.  I just try to read everything I can find time for. But your story is AMAZING!!  My wife started a non profit to help foster kids and families here on the Gulf Coast and we have discussed, especially recently, the idea of adopting a child with Down Syndrome.  I'd love to hear more about your and your wife's story of adoption someday.

I love talking to other folks, like you and your wife, who are passionate about helping kids and taking action to give back. We chose international adoptions for a bunch of reasons I won't bore everyone with, but we love seeing folks who are dedicated to domestic foster care and adoption as well. 

Feel free to send me a message here so we can swap emails, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about our adoptions, and what life in a family with special needs looks like. Or you can go right to 'Reece's Rainbow' which is an organization that has helped us with all 4 of our adoptions, and has an awesome (if sometimes overly passionate) online community. 

@Paul Bowers - Small World! Once upon a time I worked in sales for the Barnard dealership in Geneva, and I happen to be a Newark native. I'm sure we know a lot of the same people. 

That's funny, my first wife did F&I at the Newark store a LONG time ago!

Hi @Jason V. , I agree with @Paul Bowers that talking to other investors is a great way to get motivated.  When I start to lose steam, I call one of my friends who is also excited about real estate, and we chat about our dreams.  Getting together with smart, passionate people is the best way I've found in my short RE career to re-ignite.  Reading a good book can get you on track, but sometimes it is easier to just have a good talk.

Hello Jason, I suggest Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod.  Do some introspection and try to figure out what you really want out of life and what makes you happy.  You've got a lot going on!  Does your current job add value to your life or are you just going through the motions because the pay is good?  Is the specialty service tool business just a hobby or do you really want to grow it and see how big it can become?  Does growing your real estate portfolio intrigue you?

For me, Rich Dad Poor Dad lit a fire in me to grow my real estate portfolio with the end goal of leaving my (well-paying) day job for the total FREEDOM of whatever dreams and goals I would choose to pursue in the future.

Good luck!

@Jason V. , first of all I want to say that you and your wife are amazing people. You are not just adopting 4 children, you are putting yourself on the line to raise these children! Good for you!

Regarding motivation, if you have not heard of Earl Nightingale, listen on YouTube to "The strangest secret in the World". This recording is the only nonentertainment recording to win a Golden Globe in history. It's only about 50 min or less. You can listen to this daily for a while. Also, Jim Rohn and Napoleon Hill.  Book wise, pick up "Think and Grow Rich" the second most published book after the Bible and any book by Jim Rohn. Other great motivators are Zig Ziglar and Og Mandino!

Good luck to you, and I'm sure you'll find your inspiration quickly!

Lumi Ispas, Real Estate Agent in IL (#475.113981)
773-392-2906

@Jason V. You are amazing. I became emotional after reading this post. What you are doing is remarkable and inspirational. I am educating my friends on real estate investing and would love to help you any way I can. Feel free to reach out.

Motivation from books is short-lived...you have to really need something to be able to make it happen.  Figure out what you value in life and do stuff every day that align with those items (for extended periods of time).  And, if you don't really need it, that's fine too...you may be in a good place.

I'd recommend reading something other than 10x if you don't care for Cardone.

I don't know how you have time for full time jobs, a business, rental properties, and four special needs kids...you must never sleep.

You may lack motivation because you already have everything you need. You have a solid family and financial security. It may be time to take an extended vacation and re-evaluate what you want to do with your time. Even if you decide to continue in the same direction you may just need a solid, temporary break. 

Thanks again for everyone's kind words and recommendations!

@Lumi Ispas - Good picks, thank you! It's been a while since I listened to Earl Nightingale - once upon a time a friend gave me that recording on CD, and I think I'm going to listen to it during my commute and skip a couple of podcasts for a while. 

@Mike Dymski - Thanks for confirming my suspicion on Cardone. I always try to keep an open mind, but that's a tough one for me. And I'm not so much looking for a book to motivate me as a book to help me jumpstart my own motivation again. It's never been a problem for me, up until the last couple of months, and I'm struggling to figure out why. 

@Merv Screeton - It's worse than that: I not only have everything I need, I also have just about everything I want too! I'm either a little weird, extremely fortunate, or (more likely) both, in the respect that material things don't really mean much to me, and both my wife and I have been financially successful at this point in our lives. My personal/professional/financial drive has always come from a combination of being the type of person who needs to be constantly challenged, and a 'Parable of the Talents' type of thinking. If I'm not working hard towards a goal I feel like I'm wasting the gifts I have been given, and tend to get bored and do stupid or self-destructive things (like sit on the couch eating ice cream and brownies while watching 'Top 10 Movies That....' videos on YouTube.)

Thanks again everyone, your time and input are appreciated! 

@Jason V. , great insight. If you do have everything you want and need, then I will say go and take some Landmark Education courses. Start with Landmark Forum and look for some huge goals you can get started. 

It seems to me you feel unchallenged and unsure about using your full potential - which is a treat of achievers. Find or better said create that big goal that will make you want to get up early in the morning again and go conquer the world!

Lumi Ispas, Real Estate Agent in IL (#475.113981)
773-392-2906

@Jason V. Hi Jason! Books are a great way to keep yourself motivated and hungry in achieving your purpose. Here are books that I have read and would recommend spending time on: Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, Millionaire Fast Lane by MH Demarco, Never Split the Difference by Chris Voss, and Be Obsessed or Be Average by Grant Cardone. That should keep you busy for a while. I am current reading the 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene, and the next book I am going to read is The 10 Pillars of Wealth by Alex Becker. 

Set a goal and write it down. Place the goal where you will see it everyday, so that you are constantly reminded of what you are trying to do. Don't forget to take some time and look back a couple of months, and think about what you have accomplished. Then use that energy to push yourself even further. Best of Luck! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.