Hey guys I noticed I haven't been as active here on Bigger Pockets because of my real estate work. I've really started to change my mindset of how I spend my time and where it is best spent. A gentleman who is very accomplished in my local market was a guest speaker at a real estate event I went to and he said that people that are really making things happen don't have time for social netoworking sites and to brag about their accomplishements and what not on FB, BP etc. I guess this line stuck with me and I haven't really seen the benefit of getting on here anymore and am wondering why you guys/gals use Bigger Pockets? I'm not trying to make this site sound useless by any means but I'm just wondering yall's perspective and why you get on here every day? What is your opinion on that speakers statement about successful people and social media?
I've asked myself the same question. I've only asked 2 questions in my 5k posts (neither of which were answered:( and don't share successes much. We're not all just taking or gloating. If your speaker is too 'successful' to have time to give back or to contribute to something bigger than themself, perhaps we have a differing view of what success even is.
Everyone's motivation is different, but for me it's a platform to give back to and fight for the little guy. Not having an angle or anything to sell, not being a pro, etc I think allows me to speak meaningfully about what charges are fair, what advice is sound, maybe some ideas to try out instead. Somebody has to counter all the 'get as much debt as possible always' views on here LOL. But that's just me.
I enjoy writing and talking lightly about certain aspects of RE. Not too deep, like coaching or holding hands deep in the weeds. BP gives me the chance to write and discuss RE topics that interest me, so def not all altruistic.
BP is like a 90/10 Pareto principal. In any given forum, 90% of the yacking is done by 10% of the members. Maybe 85/15. Curious why others like me contribute as well, especially @Jerry W. , @Joe Splitrock , @JD Martin and @Jay Hinrichs
people that are really making things happen don't have time for social netoworking sites
why you get on here every day? What is your opinion on that speakers statement about successful people and social media?
Well I happen to enjoy both reading other people’s posts and answering other people’s questions. So maybe I’m not qualified to answer the question of whether successful people participate in forums such as this because I’m not successful.
Heck, I’ve only bought $300 million or so worth of real estate, and here is the view from my office as I write this:
Sitting in this very spot over the last two weeks with my laptop, iPad and cell phone my team has toured over a dozen multifamily properties. I’ve made two “Best and Final” offers and one initial offer, each for over $20 million, in between walks down the beach for lunch or just to get a shave ice. So this fits my definition of success. I’d be curious to hear his.
So assuming that his theory is debunked, why am I and people like me here? For a few reasons.
We get something out of it. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that all posts are altruistic, or that the frequent posters on the site receive nothing in return. My business is syndicating multifamily real estate investments. Being a known subject matter expert attracts investors and deals. It’s allowed me countless interview opportunities and to be featured in books (not my books...I haven’t written any yet) which brings further awareness amongst our potential customer base.
We hate to see other people cut their own throats. I’ve been witness to countless instances where I’ve seen people blindly march down the road to failure. I’ve tried to warn them or steer them back on course, sometimes they listen and sometimes they don’t, but just like yelling to someone to get out of the street before they get run over, at least when they get run over you know that you did what you could. Same thing happens here, whether it’s someone with a bad idea or someone else giving incorrect advice—those of us who have been around the block can help prevent disaster or at least help improve the result.
We have no one else to talk to. Sure, some successful people jet set and go to black tie cocktail parties to hob nob with other elites, but some of us are just regular folks that come from humble beginnings and no one that we know wants to talk about success, real estate, investments, money, goals or anything other than sports and politics. Here we get to talk with other people that not only enjoy the same topics, but appreciate and see value in what we have to say. And everybody, even successful people, enjoy feeling valuable.
We get to meet people. Whether I’m at home, in the office, or at my part-time home/office (pictured above), I’m not the social-butterfly type. So I don’t meet a lot of new friends. But through BP I’ve been fortunate enough to make lots of friends and meet some very interesting people. I’ve met celebrities, been backstage at concerts and talked one-on-one to one of the richest people in the country, all of which can be traced directly back to being involved with BP.
So my opinion is the speaker at that event just doesn’t “get it”. Or maybe I’m not what he considers successful. But I’m here, and I’m not going anywhere. I just can’t participate as often as I’d like, because, you know, I’m busy. I’ve got to walk down the beach to get a shave ice. LOL
I used to be a really busy person and I thought that meant I was successful. I technically own 8 LLC's across a few different real estate businesses and was working 80 hours a week.
But then I leaned from BP members about a variety of different tactics on lifestyle and entrepreneur mindset. Now I still own all the business but work about 30 hours a week and make the same money.
I hated being a busy person. It is not very fun. Now I take naps when I want, have a glass of wine with lunch, and turn my phone of at 7 pm. I actually just started a blog series on BP about it
I don't want to be "too busy" to do the things I enjoy doing. That defeats the purpose behind why I got involved in REI
It's a free resource of thousands of real estate investors. If you are serious about investing in real estate, why wouldn't you take advantage?
If your goal is to become financially free by investing in real estate, it would make sense to surround yourself and talk with other people that are already there; dont you think?
Take Brian Burke's post above for example. He has invested in over a quarter billion in real estate and posts on this forum and is willing to take time out of his day to offer advice to people here, including complete newbies like myself. I'd have to be an absolute freaking moron not to take advantage of that.
BP is not your standard social media. I dont have a facebook page or a twitter, instagram, snapchat, etc accounts. I simply don't like them and value my privacy too much.
However i'm comfortable here and am trying to learn as much as i can. The only problem is, the more i learn, the more i realize the less i know...
I can already tell from my time on this site, that its almost inevitable that i will meet and work with some people here at some point. It's just a different vibe.
BP is a one stop shop for someone that is new to REI and trying to learn as much as they can. I come here everyday to research and find something else that I can put into my plan of action. And every time I ask a question about something I get an immediate response from someone and usually four of five that help me see more than one side. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than the 50k that the guru wanted for the same insight.
@Dennis Wasilewski I like that I haven't ever considered that but I agree it would be much more beneficial to hop on here than scroll through Facebook or twitter!
@Steve Vaughan Some of my questions go unanswered so I feel your pain brother lol! I agree with the principle you speak of, however I think it's more of an 80/20 thing in my opinion. I have never viewed posting on BP as contributing to something bigger than myself so I appreciate that viewpoint!
@Tom Gimer Why do you say it's odd? How I discovered this was many people referred to it as the FB for real estate investors?
@Tony Wooldridge That is one thing I do take for granted brother I live in a big city with lots of meet ups so I have never been in that situation before lol! Thanks for your perspective and I wish you the best of success too!
@Marian Smith I'm a very sarcastic person and it is pretty hard to distinguish between someone who is genuine and just tugging my shirt on here without emojis lol! I should probably hop on here when I can't sleep too instead of wasting my time on youtube lol.
@Kenny Lee I wish I could be a silent observer brother I'm very outspoken so it's hard for me to stay quiet or just read and say nothing. I see your point though!
@Keisha Andrew I agree with you 100% and am very proud of you for taking the time to learn about REI as an agent. Hats off to you and I'm sure you will crush it because doing so puts you that much farther ahead!
@JD Martin I can't relate completely because my business partners are my friends and that's really all they talk about! However I can relate when it comes to my family and friends from school because they are very ignorant when it comes to real estate and either pretend they know it all or ignore me lmao. I can see that point of view and agree that this is a great place to go if you have that problem. That last statement you made is very bold and I can see the validity of it. I just don't think it necessarily applies to posting on BP but that argument is for another time. I appreciate your commenting though brother!
@Fradel Schaechter I can see that point and respect it. I value the podcasts much more than I do the website so I agree whole heartedly with that statement you made. The podcasts are more convenient and provide me with more value in my opinion!
@Jay Helms I love that last statement and it seems to be a repeated message throughout these answers. Definitely something I need to do instead of waste my time on other social media platforms!
@Ryan Murdock I agree brother we might as well be speaking another language when speaking to others not involved in real estate lol!
@Account Closed I love your mentality and your viewpoints and agree with everything you said. I guess the people on here are the "weird" people compared to their "normal" friends like you said. Paying it forward is a great principle to live by and they admire that and definitely need to do that more!
@Ola Dantis I love your mentality brother and I wish there were more people like that on here. Sadly I have experienced and seen way too many instances where people gang up on someone or just say such condescending and negative stuff to them over a "stupid" question or decision. It really makes me sad and that's part of the reason why I had to take a break from here because I couldn't take the negativity. I too strive to be positive and lift others up when I comment and believe we should all strive to do so!
@Brie Schmidt That's awesome and I'm glad to hear that. Constant learning is definitely very key!
Hey guys I noticed I haven't been as active here on Bigger Pockets because of my real estate work. I've really started to change my mindset of how I spend my time and where it is best spent. A gentleman who is very accomplished in my local market was a guest speaker at a real estate event I went to and he said that people that are really making things happen don't have time for social netoworking sites and to brag about their accomplishements and what not on FB, BP etc. I guess this line stuck with me and I haven't really seen the benefit of getting on here anymore and am wondering why you guys/gals use Bigger Pockets? I'm not trying to make this site sound useless by any means but I'm just wondering yall's perspective and why you get on here every day? What is your opinion on that speakers statement about successful people and social media?
Money earned from doing deals with people who have discovered me on Social Media has put well over 7 figures in my pocket. The guy who spoke about it being a waste of time is really missing the ball.
"Learners are earners and readers are leaders" - Unknown
Whether reading or replying to posts, we all learn and are held accountable.
It's also networking on a national level, while sitting on our couches in our pajamas.
@Michael Guzik People have different perspectives depending on their age and experience. I've heard this many times before by experienced investors. There's a range of experience here on BP that makes it interesting to visit every so often. Here it's focused just on real estate investing versus sites like FB which has other topics to discuss. I enjoy visiting BP to see what others are doing across the country and the world. Interesting topic for discussion! :)
Hey guys I noticed I haven't been as active here on Bigger Pockets because of my real estate work. I've really started to change my mindset of how I spend my time and where it is best spent. A gentleman who is very accomplished in my local market was a guest speaker at a real estate event I went to and he said that people that are really making things happen don't have time for social netoworking sites and to brag about their accomplishements and what not on FB, BP etc. I guess this line stuck with me and I haven't really seen the benefit of getting on here anymore and am wondering why you guys/gals use Bigger Pockets? I'm not trying to make this site sound useless by any means but I'm just wondering yall's perspective and why you get on here every day? What is your opinion on that speakers statement about successful people and social media
@Michael Guzik
I'm not expert by any means. Have spoken on a lot of folks podcast or at different events last year. Was big on Facebook social media groups. Answering questions, and sharing projects. Then had some deaths in the family. Tougher time for a short period both in life and relationships. Then I shut off all linked in, social media (Facebook), and jumped back on bigger pockets. So for me, the contact part is nice. I have some good friends/ mentors here on BP as well. Enjoy answering questions and just talking shop in general. Funny thing no social media and I am busier now then I been in last 6 months.
Crazy how that works.
Alex
I'm late to this party, and thanks @JD Martin for including me in the shout out! Likely, I'll be echoing much of what has been said already, but to start, I don't think you can take what this speaker said literally. Just because someone uses social platforms does not mean they aren't successful. If all they use BP for (or any other platform) is to basically brag about what they're doing, then they're not really contributing in my opinion, but still that doesn't mean they aren't successful.
I have a FB, but it seems the only times I post on it are when I travel. Therefore, some of my friends probably think that my life is all about traveling. They don't take into account that my last post might have been months ago. I have posted on FB in the past about my especially interesting REI situations, and I don't expect all my friends to understand, but since I do not saturate anyone's feed, I doubt anyone is annoyed. =P
Having said that, there's a big difference also between simply bragging and sharing a success story with useful details such as numbers, obstacles overcome in the process, all the how-to details, and other information that others can actually learn from. Posts like those are a wonderful mix of informative and inspirational! I think they're fantastic.
I ask you, @Michael Guzik, why you haven't seen the benefit of getting on BP anymore. Did you feel that way before the speaker shared his opinion? If so, this guy obviously sways people easily and has a way with words. I caution people to take a moment and really digest information they get from speakers who easily sway/move a crowd.
I use BP for a number of reasons to include reading about topics I'm unfamiliar with, helping others, and connecting with like-minded people. Sometimes, I even ask simple questions that I already know the answer to just to confirm I'm on the right track and to create a thread that someone else might find useful in the future.
I tend to get on BP much more during the weekdays than the weekends. And even then, I'm not always on Monday - Friday, and it just depends on my schedule. Before I bought my first property, I remember struggling and I remember for a while it seemed that the more information I got, the more questions I had. I especially remember a guy who offered to mentor me and let me tag-along on his next deal simply to watch and learn. I was very thankful and excited. That guy then dropped off the face of the planet and I felt so let down. Remembering all those emotions, I will not be that person now that *I* can help others.
I wish that my motives for being on BiggerPockets were more altruistic. They are not however. Like @Brian Burke pointed out, there are many people on this website that get things out of being on the site such as noteriety that attract more business to you.
For me, BiggerPockets has been a wealth of knowledge from people who are much more experienced than I am. It has definitely furthered my education even after I did a year long guru program.
But mostly it has been the networking that I have gained through BiggerPockets that has helped me exponentially expand my business. I wrote a post a week ago about finding more than 10 partners and raising over 230k from people that I have met through BiggerPockets in the last 12 months. And in the process I have gained some really good friends including @Christopher L. who helped me move to my new house in Burbank. There are truely quality people to be found here.
It is difficult talking to people I know outside of BiggerPockets about the real estate deals that I’m doing. Yesterday at church somebody asked me what was new and I told him that we just bought three houses on Friday and he was polite and smiled and said that’s great then he really didn’t have anything else to say about it. It seems like each time I share with non-real estate investors what I’m doing in real estate they get what @JD Martin and others have called “that glazed over look” and they just don’t relate. My attempt in sharing with them about what I’m doing in real estate is to attract new investors, however, it’s almost like I’m speaking to them In a different language and they just smile and nod. I have never had a non-real estate investor asked me how I am acquiring properties. So I get better results raising investment capital From people who are already bought in to the idea of investing in real estate.
So for me, BiggerPockets brings me knowledge, success, and friendship. It brings me to feast at the same table as the really experienced and wise investors such as @Jay Hinrichs and other greats here on BiggerPockets.
@Michael Guzik I don't think of BP as a place to come and brag. (Minus the occasional person who says they purchased 500 units today, only to find our they are a 2% owner in a syndication). Some people do share their accomplishments or success stories, but that is no different than telling your friends about a new job or vacation you are going on. For me it is about chatting with friends, sharing ideas and learning.
I think the "gentleman" has one valid point and one invalid point:
Valid - time is our most valuable resource. If I am spending 2 hours on BP, that is time that I could be spending analyzing deals or working on my business. Of course the same can be said for time I spend golfing or watching TV. How you spend your time directly relates to your success.
Invalid - the idea that successful people don't use social media. Many successful people leverage social media for their success. This could be generational, Gen X and Millennial are more likely to use social media as a business tool. I could cite countless examples, but the influence of social media should be obvious to anyone not living under a rock.
@Michael Guzik I don't think of BP as a place to come and brag. (Minus the occasional person who says they purchased 500 units today, only to find our they are a 2% owner in a syndication). Some people do share their accomplishments or success stories, but that is no different than telling your friends about a new job or vacation you are going on. For me it is about chatting with friends, sharing ideas and learning.
I think the "gentleman" has one valid point and one invalid point:
Valid - time is our most valuable resource. If I am spending 2 hours on BP, that is time that I could be spending analyzing deals or working on my business. Of course the same can be said for time I spend golfing or watching TV. How you spend your time directly relates to your success.
Invalid - the idea that successful people don't use social media. Many successful people leverage social media for their success. This could be generational, Gen X and Millennial are more likely to use social media as a business tool. I could cite countless examples, but the influence of social media should be obvious to anyone not living under a rock.
I think this is a really good point - I would add to this that a lot of my "BP" time is my 'golf', 'tv' or 'whatever' time. In other words, the time I spend conversing on BP is pretty enjoyable to me, and so while I am learning and networking with other people, I'm also enjoying myself relating to other people in ways that are current, applicable, and meaningful to me. RE is not the ONLY thing I like talking about, but I like RE, and I like talking about it, so if I have some down time and the opportunity presents itself, why not?
people that are really making things happen don't have time for social netoworking sites
why you get on here every day? What is your opinion on that speakers statement about successful people and social media?
Well I happen to enjoy both reading other people’s posts and answering other people’s questions. So maybe I’m not qualified to answer the question of whether successful people participate in forums such as this because I’m not successful.
Heck, I’ve only bought $300 million or so worth of real estate, and here is the view from my office as I write this:
Sitting in this very spot over the last two weeks with my laptop, iPad and cell phone my team has toured over a dozen multifamily properties. I’ve made two “Best and Final” offers and one initial offer, each for over $20 million, in between walks down the beach for lunch or just to get a shave ice. So this fits my definition of success. I’d be curious to hear his.
So assuming that his theory is debunked, why am I and people like me here? For a few reasons.
We get something out of it. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that all posts are altruistic, or that the frequent posters on the site receive nothing in return. My business is syndicating multifamily real estate investments. Being a known subject matter expert attracts investors and deals. It’s allowed me countless interview opportunities and to be featured in books (not my books...I haven’t written any yet) which brings further awareness amongst our potential customer base.
We hate to see other people cut their own throats. I’ve been witness to countless instances where I’ve seen people blindly march down the road to failure. I’ve tried to warn them or steer them back on course, sometimes they listen and sometimes they don’t, but just like yelling to someone to get out of the street before they get run over, at least when they get run over you know that you did what you could. Same thing happens here, whether it’s someone with a bad idea or someone else giving incorrect advice—those of us who have been around the block can help prevent disaster or at least help improve the result.
We have no one else to talk to. Sure, some successful people jet set and go to black tie cocktail parties to hob nob with other elites, but some of us are just regular folks that come from humble beginnings and no one that we know wants to talk about success, real estate, investments, money, goals or anything other than sports and politics. Here we get to talk with other people that not only enjoy the same topics, but appreciate and see value in what we have to say. And everybody, even successful people, enjoy feeling valuable.
We get to meet people. Whether I’m at home, in the office, or at my part-time home/office (pictured above), I’m not the social-butterfly type. So I don’t meet a lot of new friends. But through BP I’ve been fortunate enough to make lots of friends and meet some very interesting people. I’ve met celebrities, been backstage at concerts and talked one-on-one to one of the richest people in the country, all of which can be traced directly back to being involved with BP.
So my opinion is the speaker at that event just doesn’t “get it”. Or maybe I’m not what he considers successful. But I’m here, and I’m not going anywhere. I just can’t participate as often as I’d like, because, you know, I’m busy. I’ve got to walk down the beach to get a shave ice. LOL
I love you!
@Joel Owens That's awesome man and I'm glad to hear it! I really like the idea of using this website instead of going to networking events that are usually just guru pitches. I don't know if that's the anti social in me or what but recently I haven't seen the value in going to meet ups since most people that go really aren't making anything happen.
@Kariann Bowles I'm happy to hear that and am happy to hear you are looking into REI I wish you the best!
@Bjorn Ahlblad I really agree with what you said about reading the news man it is so toxic and negative these days. I don't know about it being peaceful on here though brother I have seem some preeeetttyyy intense comments and ugly remarks made. I guess it's just people being very passionate about their way of doing things lol.
@Jay Hinrichs Glad to hear that Jay and I agree it is crazy the people you meet on here. I appreciate your comment and really enjoyed your podcast interview!
@Steve Bracero I found this site because of the podcast but I can't really remember how I discovered the podcast lol. I want to say some investors referred me to it!
@Yonah Weiss I appreciate that man! I'm very humbled by all the replies and am glad I asked the question too!
@Jonny Morris I agree man! I have added people like that so that my feeds are actually filled with information that will help me learn and grow. I truly believe that is something every person should do!
@Jeff Greenberg I appreciate the comment and can see the point. It seems to be a reacurring theme that people love to give back so I definitely need to do that more often. It's so funny that you commented because I literally just re-listened to your podcast this morning lol!
@Brian Burke Thanks for the comment brother! It's crazy to see your comment because I'm like hey man that's Brian from the podcast I listened to last week lol! I love the view brother and I can't wait to be in that position in 10 years! I agree with what you said and appreciate you taking the time to type out such an in depth and thorough comment, I'm sure you could have gotten a few snow cones instead so thanks for making the sacrifice lol!
@Brie Schmidt I agree with that and it seems kind of like the 4 hour work week mindset. Although I don't 100% agree with everything in that book I do agree on the mindset of being effective and that being rich is more than just having money. I would much rather be rich in time to enjoy life and doing things I love doing!
@Mike Malfitani It really is a different vibe brother! I agree man it's insane how much you really don't know until you come to places like this and see how much information is out there!
@Michael Guzik I'm not on here everyday but I enjoy answering questions that I can answer or connecting people who can help each other and welcoming new members. The benefit is as simple as helping people makes me feel good lol. As far as what the speaker said, sure some people may not have time to "brag" (although plenty of super successful and super busy investors make time to write educating, valuable blog posts) but we all have the same amount of time in a day and usually it's just a matter of how we choose to spend it. If you want to come on here and help people or "brag" you'll find the time to do it! My $.02
people that are really making things happen don't have time for social netoworking sites
why you get on here every day? What is your opinion on that speakers statement about successful people and social media?
Well I happen to enjoy both reading other people’s posts and answering other people’s questions. So maybe I’m not qualified to answer the question of whether successful people participate in forums such as this because I’m not successful.
Heck, I’ve only bought $300 million or so worth of real estate, and here is the view from my office as I write this:
Sitting in this very spot over the last two weeks with my laptop, iPad and cell phone my team has toured over a dozen multifamily properties. I’ve made two “Best and Final” offers and one initial offer, each for over $20 million, in between walks down the beach for lunch or just to get a shave ice. So this fits my definition of success. I’d be curious to hear his.
So assuming that his theory is debunked, why am I and people like me here? For a few reasons.
We get something out of it. Don’t fool yourself into thinking that all posts are altruistic, or that the frequent posters on the site receive nothing in return. My business is syndicating multifamily real estate investments. Being a known subject matter expert attracts investors and deals. It’s allowed me countless interview opportunities and to be featured in books (not my books...I haven’t written any yet) which brings further awareness amongst our potential customer base.
We hate to see other people cut their own throats. I’ve been witness to countless instances where I’ve seen people blindly march down the road to failure. I’ve tried to warn them or steer them back on course, sometimes they listen and sometimes they don’t, but just like yelling to someone to get out of the street before they get run over, at least when they get run over you know that you did what you could. Same thing happens here, whether it’s someone with a bad idea or someone else giving incorrect advice—those of us who have been around the block can help prevent disaster or at least help improve the result.
We have no one else to talk to. Sure, some successful people jet set and go to black tie cocktail parties to hob nob with other elites, but some of us are just regular folks that come from humble beginnings and no one that we know wants to talk about success, real estate, investments, money, goals or anything other than sports and politics. Here we get to talk with other people that not only enjoy the same topics, but appreciate and see value in what we have to say. And everybody, even successful people, enjoy feeling valuable.
We get to meet people. Whether I’m at home, in the office, or at my part-time home/office (pictured above), I’m not the social-butterfly type. So I don’t meet a lot of new friends. But through BP I’ve been fortunate enough to make lots of friends and meet some very interesting people. I’ve met celebrities, been backstage at concerts and talked one-on-one to one of the richest people in the country, all of which can be traced directly back to being involved with BP.
So my opinion is the speaker at that event just doesn’t “get it”. Or maybe I’m not what he considers successful. But I’m here, and I’m not going anywhere. I just can’t participate as often as I’d like, because, you know, I’m busy. I’ve got to walk down the beach to get a shave ice. LOL
Brian has met Laurence Balter who owns Maui Flight academy Its one of the coolest things when i am on Maui... he lets you fly left seat so you can get some Hawaii airports in your log book.. I am going to Honolulu end of April hopefully will get to fly with him then.. plus his background is much like yours.. I highly suggest you guys hook up..