Real Estate and Investing Role Models

9 Replies

I figured since we're talking about psychology here, talking about role models would be an important aspect of psych. I look at the big dogs - Buffett, Lefrak, Trump for my inspiration, but I'm always excited to hear about the little guy who just went out and made his fortune.

Who are your investing (real estate or other) role models?

I'm a fan of Buffett, Peter Lynch, and many of the other "value" investors. As for real estate - I'm still trying to figure them out, but like you, both Trump and Lefrak are cool people to watch on the developing side. I'm curious about other good guys to look into.

Here's an interesting story that I read today.

http://www.bobparsons.com/My16Rules2006.html

The above (or following) article (or rules for survival) is included with the permission of Bob Parsons (http://www.bobparsons.com) and is Copyright © 2004-2006 by Bob Parsons. All rights reserved.

Li Ka Shing

Asia's Most Wealthiest Man as well as The 10th Wealthiest Man in the world!
Not having much education coming to HK from mainland to work at his uncles jewellery store at 17! Becoming outsanding salesman and moving up to manager at 19.
Observed the manufacturing business and travelling to Europe to experience the color mixing. Coming back to HK started his own production of plastic flowers where he made his fortune.
Later on started in Real Estate and creating his large portfolio in his company Cheung Kong.
Now associated in many companies and majority shareholder in CIBC,Air Canada and Husky Oil.

This man is truely my role model.

real estate role model huh...hhmm

i don't know - Scot Rechler- CEO - Reckson

As for real estate - I'm still trying to figure them out,

Here is the guy who is the inspiration for Donald Trump and many other real estate investors (including me) in an article from Fortune Magazine:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2005/10/31/8359143/index.htm

There are plenty of real estate role models to choose from. But I get inspiration from the people posting on these forms. The people who are at the same level that I am at and are trying to do the same things that I am doing are my inspiration.

Go to your local real estate investor association and find who the big dogs are there.

The local people were my early role models because I could chat with them and see that this real estate stuff actually worked for the "average joe".

I like many others always view my father as a role model. Still trying to figure out how he put up with me and raised me to be who I am today. My mother is right there as well, so I guess I should say my Parents!

As to business people, I look to those that did it on their own. Arthur Blank built Home Depot up and that is amazing!

Recently however, I was part of helping an organization give the gift of mobility to some of our vets wounded in action. They give Segways to those that have lost limbs so it makes it easier to get around. I have to tell you, these wounded vets are amazing! Being a vet myself, I once had someone tell me I was a hero to many. I invoked a quote of the great "Dick Winters" in saying, "I am not a hero, but I served with a company of heroes".

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.