My experience with the HELOC strategy

My experience with the HELOC strategy

Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 104 votes

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share and get some feedback from other investors who have used their personal home to get a HELOC and start buying investment properties.

I got a HELOC on my home for $150k. Was able to buy 2 duplexes cash, and was able to negotiate a pretty good deal I think. The issue I have been running into now, is getting mortgages on the rental properties to fund my HELOC again, to continue buying. I have found a few banks willing to lend 70-75%, but the rates take quite a hit.

Investment property

Multi-family

Small loan amount ($50K)

The last Lender I was working with, had my closing costs at about $4600 + prepaids.. $56k loan, I would net about $49k. That is almost 10% in closing costs! Way too high in my opinion. I ended up cancelling all my applications and just doing a personal home refinance for the extra money. My plan is to stockpile as much income as I can from 4-5 paid for rentals and eventually build enough cash to buy another rental. My house payment has gone up, but all in all, it's a better deal than what I would've gotten with the seperate mortages on the investment properties.

1Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
8y

Yes, definitely watch your cost of capital. Sub $50k loans are tough to get anywhere from what I understand.

I'm exploring your method now, but a little reversed.  I'm buying with cash I have then getting a Heloc as a line of credit in case another deal comes up during the 6 month seasoning.  I'm buying for 90k and should be able to pull out $100 with $2800 in closing costs 7 months from now.  

Wish they were all like this. I was happily taking a nap when a buddy showed me a house he inherited. Not bankable as is.  Great discounts can be had with cash as you mentioned. Good luck to you, Alex!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Yes, definitely watch your cost of capital. Sub $50k loans are tough to get anywhere from what I understand.

    I'm exploring your method now, but a little reversed.  I'm buying with cash I have then getting a Heloc as a line of credit in case another deal comes up during the 6 month seasoning.  I'm buying for 90k and should be able to pull out $100 with $2800 in closing costs 7 months from now.  

    Wish they were all like this. I was happily taking a nap when a buddy showed me a house he inherited. Not bankable as is.  Great discounts can be had with cash as you mentioned. Good luck to you, Alex!

  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    anything under 60 and loan fees are brutal. my last one came in at 58.5K and it cost me almost double. VERY annoying.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 104 votes
    8y
    Steve Vaughan I'm now wondering if I can find local credit unions who will do a heloc on the investment properties.
  • Investor · Portsmouth, NH · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    @Alex Corral Are you happy how your strategy has panned out? 

    Very interesting topic. I'm currently implementing a portfolio line of credit on several properties and using it essentially how you guys are... buy in cash, stabilize, refinance out... If I can't refinance under good terms, I can term out the line of credit and simply focus on paying that off quickly. 

    In theory it sounds so easy to do a little rent raise, sub-meter expenses out, simply renovations, and go back to the bank with a brand new income statement... but perhaps it isn't enough to instigate a refinance, then you're stuck with all your "deployable capital" in one property.

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 142 posts · 104 votes
    8y
    Jonathan Child I feel a little "misled" on how easy it would be to get my cash back to keep investing. It might be my choice of properties (multi-family), but I was definitely not expecting closing costs to be almost 10%. I have 3 duplexes that would've cost me almost $15k in closing costs to get my initial $150k back. All my properties are worth about $80-90k. I think you could avoid the hit for the small loan amount if you buy single family homes of about $120k, but the returns are diminished for me in that case. I worked a deal with Quicken & got my home refinanced, paid off the HELOC & pulled out an extra $80k to look for 1 more property. The closing costs were about .5%. Fixed rate & my interest is fully tax deductible (the HELOC is no longer). Alex
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.