BP Episode 350: How To Read Human Nature

4 Replies

I listened to the podcast this morning with Robert Greene and let me just start by saying it is packed with psychological content. If you have not listened to it yet, go do that. They basically discuss how emotional intelligence and people skills are what lead to success in real estate or in business in general. I do have one thing to point out about that..

How come there are complete a**holes that are extremely successful? We all deal with these people and all I’m saying is that I have met more salty dogs in this business than kind/sympathetic that are wildly successful. If people skills are necessary to success then how to do some many people seem to succeed without it?

That's a pretty good question, I'm on you with this one. I've always came across that same situation and I've always just assumed to keep on my road and let them be them. I'm sure they may be @-holes on the outside however I have wondered how they sleep at night?? Or if they if they even get any sleep having to constantly be looking over their shoulder. Oh well for me I guess I really don't want to know just remember what goes around comes around in one way or another.

@Ryan Beasley I think it is because they are so well attuned to leading others, as in they can tell someone to complete a task with a tone most dont like or a persona we dont want to listen to, but at the end of it we always listen to what they want done. I've felt the same way and am trying to gauge if a change in my mannerisms might affect my professional career and make people know me for being a more outwardly strong person.

@Ryan Beasley

In this world there is leaders (usually a******) and there are followers (the sympathetics)...its that simple.

You gotta do what you gotta do to be successful and if that means being an a****** then so be it. Being kind and sympathetic is just going to get you steamrolled over.

While I don't quite share @Mark Fries black and white view on the matter of what it takes to be successful, I think @Ryan Beasley that you are over generalizing and that leads you to ignore reality. 

Are their successful Aholes? Sure. Could it be that the industry they are in rewards that character trait while other industries don't? Yep. That's because some industries require different degrees of collaboration. Used car sales: not a ton of collaboration. Being a lawyer on a death penalty case, boat loads of collaboration. 

Final thought: who cares if they are an Ahole who is successful? That's their problem, not yours. Life isn't fair, good things happen to bad people, so what? Wasting emotional energy bemoaning the fact takes you away from your life's pursuit.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you