Best places to live in your opinion

29 Replies

It is often said “Live where you want, invest where it makes sense”. Many BP members talk about good markets where they invest.

But let me ask you this. In your opinion, where is a good place to live, to raise a family, to enjoy life and God’s creation.?

@Mark Vandzura

HOME

I remember a girlfriend when I was young. She seemed restless and unhappy. She wanted to go to California. But even at that young age I realized CA was not going to make her happy. To her the grass was always greener on the other side of the fence.  She thought that moving to CA or some other Utopia, all her problems would go away.  The reality if she couldn't be happy in he own skin she wasn't going to be happy anywhere. 

Me I was content where I was. That was home. Just something to think about.

@Ned Carey

Good thoughts! I’m absolutely happy and content wherever I am. I was just thinking there maybe other places with other benefits. For instance, low taxes, good schools, lots of sunshine & outdoor activities, etc.  You’ll never know if you don’t ask.

Originally posted by @Mark Vandzura :

It is often said “Live where you want, invest where it makes sense”. Many BP members talk about good markets where they invest.

But let me ask you this. In your opinion, where is a good place to live, to raise a family, to enjoy life and God’s creation.?

Cleveland man. It's cheap. Only negative is the weather. That's not a big deal though. I read an article on global warming that claimed Cleveland's weather is going to be similar to what Texas & Louisiana's weather is today by the year 2100. Lol no idea if it's true. Does feel like we've been getting less snow over the last 10 years or so though....

Source: https://www.cleveland.com/weather/blog/index.ssf/2017/01/noaa_climate_projections_what_1.html

Hi Mark,

I am biased because I have lived in the Bay Area for 35yrs.  To me, it has great food, people, and the best weather.  I have grown to love Dallas Ft Worth and it is a place that I can see myself moving to in the future.  Something about those brick houses there.  I just love the way they look, we don't have that in CA.

@Mark Vandzura there is a reason that the SF Bay area housing prices are so expensive, it's a great place to live. The diversity of the area, the weather, and proximity to nature are second to none. You can find first-rate restaurants that represent cultures from across the globe. Yesterday, I snowboarded in the morning, did some wine tasting on the way home and had a "real" Japanese meal for dinner. My kids go to school with children from all over the globe: Russia, China, Latin America, etc. There are multiple first-tier universities in the area. On average, my rental real estate has appreciated 2x in 5 years. The list of reasons that attract people to the area is extensive. But again, all of those reasons make the area expensive to live in... but that is also how capitalism works.

Been living in Colorado the last 4 years and absolutely love it! I’m a big outdoor enthusiast and love being able to do anything outside all times of the year. Planning on moving back to Indiana this fall to set myself up for the future and live there for probably 5-7 years and start a family and eventually make my way back out here.

Cleveland, OH...the country's best kept secret.

• Cheap cost of living (housing, entertainment, etc)
  • Incredible Park System that runs throughout entire Northeast Ohio (Metroparks)
  • Professional Sports (Browns, Indians, Cavs, Hockey, etc.)
  • Playhouse Square (Biggest theater district in the USA outside of NYC)
  • Rich history (steel, industry, Rockefellers, etc.)
  • Museums (Rock and Roll HoF, Art, etc.)
  • Prestigious Universities (Case Western Reserve)
  • Incredible Food due to multi-ethnic old-world population (Slavic, Arabic, African American, Latino, etc.)
  • Lake Erie (and everything that comes with it, boating, beaches, etc.)
  • Excellent Suburban school systems (I am a produkt of deeze skoolz)
  • City Pride...you don't get it unless you're from here

The worst part about Cleveland is the weather. 

It's winter for 5.5 months out of the year. But guess what...everything is a short flight away!

Actually...Wait...umm....don't move here it sucks...

I'm going to always vote for Cleveland and most other Midwest mid-market cities. That is what makes sense right now. 

Hey @Tom Ott ,  Are you saying Cleveland and other Midwest mid market cities are a good place to live or a good place to invest? I appreciate the response either way, but my question was , “where is a good place to live?

Hey @Tom Ott,  Are you saying Cleveland and other Midwest mid market cities are a good place to live or a good place to invest? I appreciate the response either way, but my question was , “where is a good place to live?

Oh, I am saying both! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here