Best places to live in your opinion

Best places to live in your opinion

Rental Property Investor · Franklinville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 20 votes

It is often said “Live where you want, invest where it makes sense”. Many BP members talk about good markets where they invest.

But let me ask you this. In your opinion, where is a good place to live, to raise a family, to enjoy life and God’s creation.?

0Reply
112 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

@Mark Vandzura

HOME

I remember a girlfriend when I was young. She seemed restless and unhappy. She wanted to go to California. But even at that young age I realized CA was not going to make her happy. To her the grass was always greener on the other side of the fence.  She thought that moving to CA or some other Utopia, all her problems would go away.  The reality if she couldn't be happy in he own skin she wasn't going to be happy anywhere. 

Me I was content where I was. That was home. Just something to think about.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Boise/Portland · Member since 2017 · 709 posts · 742 votes
    7y

    Anywhere in the Pacific Northwest.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklinville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Matthew McNeil What do you like about the Pacific Northwest?

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Mark Vandzura Tampa bay area of Florida

  • Rental Property Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 776 posts · 776 votes
    7y

    Anywhere there are low taxes, lots of sunshine, great quality of life, and a place to have an active lifestyle. Southeast!

  • NY · Member since 2015 · 101 posts · 43 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jason D.:

    @Mark Vandzura Tampa bay area of Florida

  • NY · Member since 2015 · 101 posts · 43 votes
    7y

    Visited, have a couple of friends down there and can't wait to make my permanent move down there. 

    Kevin.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Mark Vandzura

    HOME

    I remember a girlfriend when I was young. She seemed restless and unhappy. She wanted to go to California. But even at that young age I realized CA was not going to make her happy. To her the grass was always greener on the other side of the fence.  She thought that moving to CA or some other Utopia, all her problems would go away.  The reality if she couldn't be happy in he own skin she wasn't going to be happy anywhere. 

    Me I was content where I was. That was home. Just something to think about.

  • Highland, NY · Member since 2013 · 169 posts · 130 votes
    7y

    Not NY

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Probably some good deals in Venezuela right now. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklinville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    @Ned Carey

    Good thoughts! I’m absolutely happy and content wherever I am. I was just thinking there maybe other places with other benefits. For instance, low taxes, good schools, lots of sunshine & outdoor activities, etc.  You’ll never know if you don’t ask.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mark Vandzura:

    It is often said “Live where you want, invest where it makes sense”. Many BP members talk about good markets where they invest.

    But let me ask you this. In your opinion, where is a good place to live, to raise a family, to enjoy life and God’s creation.?

     Cleveland man. It's cheap. Only negative is the weather. That's not a big deal though. I read an article on global warming that claimed Cleveland's weather is going to be similar to what Texas & Louisiana's weather is today by the year 2100. Lol no idea if it's true. Does feel like we've been getting less snow over the last 10 years or so though....

    Source: https://www.cleveland.com/weather/blog/index.ssf/2017/01/noaa_climate_projections_what_1.html

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Hi Mark,

    I am biased because I have lived in the Bay Area for 35yrs.  To me, it has great food, people, and the best weather.  I have grown to love Dallas Ft Worth and it is a place that I can see myself moving to in the future.  Something about those brick houses there.  I just love the way they look, we don't have that in CA.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Mark Vandzura I agree with you. You have to live somewhere, it might as well be someplace nice. I was just throwing in a different perspective.

  • Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mark Vandzura there is a reason that the SF Bay area housing prices are so expensive, it's a great place to live. The diversity of the area, the weather, and proximity to nature are second to none. You can find first-rate restaurants that represent cultures from across the globe. Yesterday, I snowboarded in the morning, did some wine tasting on the way home and had a "real" Japanese meal for dinner. My kids go to school with children from all over the globe: Russia, China, Latin America, etc. There are multiple first-tier universities in the area. On average, my rental real estate has appreciated 2x in 5 years. The list of reasons that attract people to the area is extensive. But again, all of those reasons make the area expensive to live in... but that is also how capitalism works.

  • Specialist · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    For me it's Cyprus. The sun, great beaches, low taxes, perfect local cuisine and charming atmosphere are the key factors determining my choice.

  • Contractor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Been living in Colorado the last 4 years and absolutely love it! I’m a big outdoor enthusiast and love being able to do anything outside all times of the year. Planning on moving back to Indiana this fall to set myself up for the future and live there for probably 5-7 years and start a family and eventually make my way back out here.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Where ever my family is.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 146 votes
    7y

    Cleveland, OH...the country's best kept secret.

    • Cheap cost of living (housing, entertainment, etc)
    • Incredible Park System that runs throughout entire Northeast Ohio (Metroparks)
    • Professional Sports (Browns, Indians, Cavs, Hockey, etc.)
    • Playhouse Square (Biggest theater district in the USA outside of NYC)
    • Rich history (steel, industry, Rockefellers, etc.)
    • Museums (Rock and Roll HoF, Art, etc.)
    • Prestigious Universities (Case Western Reserve)
    • Incredible Food due to multi-ethnic old-world population (Slavic, Arabic, African American, Latino, etc.)
    • Lake Erie (and everything that comes with it, boating, beaches, etc.)
    • Excellent Suburban school systems (I am a produkt of deeze skoolz)
    • City Pride...you don't get it unless you're from here

    The worst part about Cleveland is the weather. 

    It's winter for 5.5 months out of the year. But guess what...everything is a short flight away!

    Actually...Wait...umm....don't move here it sucks...

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mark Vandzura:

    It is often said “Live where you want, invest where it makes sense”. Many BP members talk about good markets where they invest.

    But let me ask you this. In your opinion, where is a good place to live, to raise a family, to enjoy life and God’s creation.?

     I'm going to always vote for Cleveland and most other Midwest mid-market cities. That is what makes sense right now. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklinville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Hey @Tom Ott,  Are you saying Cleveland and other Midwest mid market cities are a good place to live or a good place to invest? I appreciate the response either way, but my question was , “where is a good place to live?

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mark Vandzura:

    Hey @Tom Ott,  Are you saying Cleveland and other Midwest mid market cities are a good place to live or a good place to invest? I appreciate the response either way, but my question was , “where is a good place to live?

     Oh, I am saying both! 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 930 posts · 836 votes
    7y

    No snow, no state income tax, preferably near a beach.  So basically Florida or Texas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklinville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Great reply @Kris L.,

    I love the beach and I strongly dislike snow and taxes.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wiesbaden, Hesse · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 32 votes
    7y

    @Mark Vandzura- Are you only looking in the States or anywhere in the world?

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklinville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 20 votes
    7y

    Good question @Tim Greenfield

    Predominantly I’m wondering what are the best places to live within the states, but I’ve heard great things about panama, and I’d love to here of any other great places to live in or out of our great nation.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.