Buy a Tesla Model 3?

207 Replies

@Kris L.

I would factor that fuel in, and I would consider renting it on turo. Maybe keep my previous car and list them both, drive whichever isn’t rented

Originally posted by @Greg Gaudet :

@Kris L.

I would factor that fuel in, and I would consider renting it on turo. Maybe keep my previous car and list them both, drive whichever isn’t rented

one of my partners lives in the Kahala area he has solar and I talked him into getting an S ..  so his energy is free.  power is expensive in Hawaii as we know.. so is gas.. but you don't drive very far  Tesla quite popular in Honolulu see ton of them.

First and foremost, thank you ALL for your input, experience, tax strategies (those were the best), and wisdom. 

If you're all curious, drum roll please.... I purchased a 2017 Chevy Bolt LT with a range of 231 miles and fully charged at 250. With the exception to the Tesla, all other electric vehicles have a higher than normal depreciation due to low demand (who knew!? especially since it's the future and it cost me a total of $8 bucks to charge it). I took advantage of that depreciation, my case 50% of a brand new one and the write off's. Although I do not qualify for the tax credits available the purchase price far outweighed the fed & state tax credits. I wonder how many people have taken advantage of this fact? Although I do like cars, specifically exotic cars, this is my daily driver which fits my needs currently. Most importantly it allows me to continue investing in RE. 

@Jay Hinrichs thank you for all your valuable input and definitely working to get to your level.

@Nate Bell You are the first out of 7 pages of comments that's mentioned the next best alternative to Tesla, the Chevy Bolt. You were right, I definitely enjoy it and experienced my first no battery life anxiety attack last weekend. Still figuring it out lol. 

That's what we're going to do. Buy used. Our last two cars have been used Prius. Our next car will likely be a used electric car. We sat in a Tesla Model 3 the other day for the first time. Wow. We also sat in the Hyundai electric. Pretty nice, too.  We will have to go check out the Chevy Bolt.

@Brian Rosher Thank you and I feel like a got a steal of deal, the car still smells new and has all the bells and whistles. Definitely the "fanciest" car I have owned. 

@Tanya F. I looked at the Hyundai Ioniq Electric as well and although it is nice, the range is the biggest draw back since they have yet to catch up. I felt that I would have to "upgrade" in a few years which defeats the purpose of owning for at least a decade until technology/range increases. Chevy really stepped up with their 2017 Bolt in response to Tesla long range and am glad there is another option other than Tesla with similar range! I'll be curious to see the range extend over 300+ in the next few years for other manufacturers. There are a lot of Bolts coming off commercial lease and could get great deal as well. One thing that changed my mindset in regards to miles, I no longer care about the miles I drive, I care about how many miles my charge takes up. For instance, my gym travel distance is 9 miles, a total of 18 miles. Last night's charge range was at 222 miles, due to it's regenerative braking, I clocked back at 218! Therefore, I only used 4 miles of power. I am very happy with this purchase and highly recommend it if you're not going Tesla.

Originally posted by @Dulce Beltran :

@Brian Rosher Thank you and I feel like a got a steal of deal, the car still smells new and has all the bells and whistles. Definitely the "fanciest" car I have owned. 

@Tanya F. I looked at the Hyundai Ioniq Electric as well and although it is nice, the range is the biggest draw back since they have yet to catch up. I felt that I would have to "upgrade" in a few years which defeats the purpose of owning for at least a decade until technology/range increases. Chevy really stepped up with their 2017 Bolt in response to Tesla long range and am glad there is another option other than Tesla with similar range! I'll be curious to see the range extend over 300+ in the next few years for other manufacturers. There are a lot of Bolts coming off commercial lease and could get great deal as well. One thing that changed my mindset in regards to miles, I no longer care about the miles I drive, I care about how many miles my charge takes up. For instance, my gym travel distance is 9 miles, a total of 18 miles. Last night's charge range was at 222 miles, due to it's regenerative braking, I clocked back at 218! Therefore, I only used 4 miles of power. I am very happy with this purchase and highly recommend it if you're not going Tesla.

We will have to check it out. Does it come in a hatchback? And does the back seat fold down flat?

That's what we really like about the Prius we have (2010) and the one before (2004) and the Honda Civic wagon before that (1991)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here