Networking Power Questions

5 Replies

Morning everyone,

Hope you’re having a good day! I am just starting out on my investing journey and have jumped into the networking game. I know that building relationships and connections is far from a formulaic process, but I think there’s some value in thinking of new ways to ask questions in a way that is different from the same old “where do you work” variety. What are some good questions/statements that you all have used to make deeper connections with people when meeting them for the first time?

@Marcellus P McKinley

"What do you do for fun?" 

Great question, I'm looking forward to the answers!!

I just stepped up to facilitate two new local meetup groups with over 1100 members combined! ;))

So this post should be helpful!

Good luck networking Marcellus!

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

Ask about the goals and concepts people may have.  Relate your goals with theirs. I hate getting trapped into the "where are you originally from?" discussion.  I try to drive my networking opportunities away from this topic.  People love getting on a deep level, but very few are able to get there.  If you can get to that level with people; networking will be a breeze.

Good luck Marcellus,

Nathan Killebrew

Ask them what they're looking for, need or what would ease a pain point for them.  Chances are, you'll have the same needs as them further along in your career.  It'll help you be proactive in what to be aware of.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you