Is this a sign of having trust issue?

4 Replies

My husband and I started our REI business together. We've been doing better than I had imagined. Along the way, we've had other investors with money coming out of their ears willing to partner up with us. Sure, it was always very tempting, considering we've never had that much cash to begin with. But we always said no. Even now it's just him and me. To be honest, we cannot even imagine ever letting anyone else in. I know that we could make a lot more money by letting other people in. But it just doesn't feel right.

You think it's a trust issue we're having?

@Lam N.

Maybe trust, more likely control.

Giving up / sharing equity involves giving up control.  Even having to answer a phone to keep someone updated means you're answering to someone.  

@Lam N. "Syndicating" or accepting investor's capital is a HUGE responsibility. If you're not 100% comfortable taking on the risk and liability, it's likely not something you should do. I don't see it as a "trust issue", I see it more as taking responsibility and knowing yourself. 

I spent 34 years in corporate America getting input, building consensus, writing status reports, developing plans/goals/objectives/metrics, etc.  I'd prefer a stick in the eye to doing that again lol. Decline the money and enjoy your freedom.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you