What value do you put on your image?

What value do you put on your image?

Rental Property Investor · parksville, bc · Member since 2017 · 153 posts · 148 votes

I worked in the automotive repair industry for over 15 years where my image was not of major relevance. Employees wore coveralls and had no personal dealings with the public. You don't need to look like a rockstar to fix cars.

When I became an investor and then got my real estate license, it was a bit of an eye opener. I always dressed in clean clothes and shaved, but coming from the automotive industry I never understood the value of how you present yourself. Now I buy decent clothes that fit well and make sure I'm well dressed anytime I'm seen by the public. I have started priding myself on being the best dressed person in a room. People notice the bested dressed person in the room. Like David Greene says, he doesn't have to wear a suit when he sells houses, but it makes the job that much easier.

Where do you draw the line? I used to view spending $75 on a nice shirt a total waste of money, but now I feel confidant and people are more willing to believe you are a professional by looking the part. That $75 shirt might earn the trust of a client that earns me thousands of dollars. Now I'm looking at my car. It's a 2011 midsize sedan (think Honda Accord) and it looks presentable. Is that adequate? If I'm a successful investor and top realtor, wouldn't I drive a nicer car? Are top realtors successful because they drive a nice car, or do they drive a nice car because they are successful?

I'm not a fan of dumping $20,000 on a car that is just a liability. I'm happy in a $4,000 simple car, but what image am I presenting? 

My friend, who owns over ten investment properties now, drives a $500 Dodge Caravan that has dents on every panel. It looks awful. I think it's great that he focuses his money on investments, not liabilities like cars, but what do other people think of him? Is a contractor or fellow investor going to take him serious?

How much is my image worth? I won't go dump $50,000 on a car, and anything I buy would be a cash purchase (thanks investments!) but even at $20,000, is that money better spent by parking it in more real estate, or will the confidence people gain in me by driving a nicer car have a better ROI?

11Reply
222 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y

I believe there's value to dressing nicely, but I don't personally do it. I wear comfortable, clean clothes that allow me to work in the office or crawl under a house. If it's a hot summer, I've been known to wear shorts and flip-flops.

Personally, I'm skeptical of anyone that tries to be the best-dressed in the room. It makes me wonder if they're attempting to compensate for something they lack. I expect people to dress commensurate with their profession and/or their peers.

And if someone refuses to work with me because of the way I dress, I would be OK with that.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

74 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Twin Cities, MN · Member since 2019 · 122 posts · 150 votes
    6y

    @Jason Ridout

    I don't spend much time around my tenants, we have management in place.

    My earlier thread was focused more on working within the industry, with lenders, sellers, partners, developers.

    It's interesting that most of the posters on this thread think they need to hide from their tenants. Wear a fake mustache and old paint stained clothes if you have to. I don't need camoflage. I own the building. If they don't like it they can move.

  • Rental Property Investor · MI · Member since 2019 · 192 posts · 205 votes
    6y

    Presentation means everything to me. I purchase my clothes from Goodwill. I’m always looking for a sale. I dress appropriate for the occasion. When I’m showing a house, I wear jeans, sweats......if I’m holding an open house or handing over keys and doing the walk through with a tenant, I wear slacks and a dressy top; when I’m doing repairs, I wear old clean clothes with paint stains, you name it!!! I purchase my vehicles off Craigslist and public auctions. Some are really nice.

    When I’m getting estimates from contractors, I wear old looking stained clothes and drive my beater so that I will not get over charged. I’m a smart cookie 🙂.

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 159 posts · 161 votes
    6y

    I had a coming to Jesus about image as well. Being an investor/landlord i think you are able to be comfortable and can afford a casual look. Being an agent though means looking the part. I wouldn't buy a $75 shirt per se but I'm not mad at the person who does. 

    I found out I was having a kid 4 years ago and started growing my hair until my locs reached my neck. As I became a realtor though, I realized I needed a cleaner cut to be more successful. I'll grow them back out once I retire and sit around on the beach smoking cigars!

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    6y

    Unless driving a nice car or wearing nice clothes gets the frame labor down to $2/sqft or gets the borrower to pay for their agent's commission and all closing, I don't see the benefit.   

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jason Ridout:

    I worked in the automotive repair industry for over 15 years where my image was not of major relevance. Employees wore coveralls and had no personal dealings with the public. You don't need to look like a rockstar to fix cars.

    When I became an investor and then got my real estate license, it was a bit of an eye opener. I always dressed in clean clothes and shaved, but coming from the automotive industry I never understood the value of how you present yourself. Now I buy decent clothes that fit well and make sure I'm well dressed anytime I'm seen by the public. I have started priding myself on being the best dressed person in a room. People notice the bested dressed person in the room. Like David Greene says, he doesn't have to wear a suit when he sells houses, but it makes the job that much easier.

    Where do you draw the line? I used to view spending $75 on a nice shirt a total waste of money, but now I feel confidant and people are more willing to believe you are a professional by looking the part. That $75 shirt might earn the trust of a client that earns me thousands of dollars. Now I'm looking at my car. It's a 2011 midsize sedan (think Honda Accord) and it looks presentable. Is that adequate? If I'm a successful investor and top realtor, wouldn't I drive a nicer car? Are top realtors successful because they drive a nice car, or do they drive a nice car because they are successful?

    I'm not a fan of dumping $20,000 on a car that is just a liability. I'm happy in a $4,000 simple car, but what image am I presenting? 

    My friend, who owns over ten investment properties now, drives a $500 Dodge Caravan that has dents on every panel. It looks awful. I think it's great that he focuses his money on investments, not liabilities like cars, but what do other people think of him? Is a contractor or fellow investor going to take him serious?

    How much is my image worth? I won't go dump $50,000 on a car, and anything I buy would be a cash purchase (thanks investments!) but even at $20,000, is that money better spent by parking it in more real estate, or will the confidence people gain in me by driving a nicer car have a better ROI?

     Hi Jason,

    As a salesman it's probably best to dress and drive what your "most likely" sales client will expect you to dress and drive, based on what your competing salesmen and women are driving and wearing.

    If you go just a little above that, then you might get a little edge--sometimes. BUT YOU HAVE TO PRODUCE (RESULTS) on a regular basis. Because the cars and clothes are just workman's tools to a salesman (like his personality) and the best tools in the world are of no more use to poorly skilled workman than the cheapest tools are. (learn to close).

    That may be a Mercedes and expensive sport coat in Newport Beach Calif, or suit and tie in some areas of Miami, or getting away with a Stetson cowboy hat in Dallas.

    Dress and drive based on what your competition dictates and what makes you want to work the hardest to produce results for your clients.

    Good Luck!

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Jason Ridout,

    As a realtor, image is incredibly important-- so yes, buy the $75 shirt, get the fancier car, you're essentially putting your resume of how successful you are each day.   Your looks are your branding when it comes to your job.   When you look nicer, it implies you're more successful, which translates to clients thinking you're likely better at your job and good at business!

    As a landlord,  honestly-- I think it's better to lay low.   You know who tenants hate--the rich looking a-holes.   They immediately think they're paying everything, and you could charge less in rent, after all you're all flashy.   Your actions define if they like you/dislike you, and the house you're renting to them determines if they want to work with you.     I have set weekend/work clothes that honestly have paint/caulk, so most of the time tenants see me looking homeless, and honestly-- I don't care, not here to look pretty.  I probably should try, but when I do dress normal  they are surprised with how different I look.   I think it makes some people uncomfortable when I look dressed up, because I'm younger... I might be wrong, but  I think my tenants prefer the frumpy homeless look.  

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    @Jason Ridout,

    As a realtor, image is incredibly important-- so yes, buy the $75 shirt, get the fancier car, you're essentially putting your resume of how successful you are each day.   Your looks are your branding when it comes to your job.   When you look nicer, it implies you're more successful, which translates to clients thinking you're likely better at your job and good at business!

    As a landlord,  honestly-- I think it's better to lay low.   You know who tenants hate--the rich looking a-holes.   They immediately think they're paying everything, and you could charge less in rent, after all you're all flashy.   Your actions define if they like you/dislike you, and the house you're renting to them determines if they want to work with you.     I have set weekend/work clothes that honestly have paint/caulk, so most of the time tenants see me looking homeless, and honestly-- I don't care, not here to look pretty.  I probably should try, but when I do dress normal  they are surprised with how different I look.   I think it makes some people uncomfortable when I look dressed up, because I'm younger... I might be wrong, but  I think my tenants prefer the frumpy homeless look.  

    Well said, Linda.  This should be a sticky response to the image question!

    I will add this about the laying low landlord.   I may show properties to prospective buyers and tenants in work clothes (because I schedule showings while working there anyway) but I do have a legitimate mgt co, an s--corp with biz cards.  

    So it is with a straight face I can give out applications and request holding funds and people have no problem stroking large holding checks to a mgt co vs the bad handyman.  I have never asked a tenant to make any rent, deposit or holding fee out to me personally.  Food for thought. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2020 · 562 posts · 554 votes
    6y

    @Jason Ridout

    Image is important, but reputation is everything. If you walk in the door with recommendations from other investors, agents, lenders, etc that will carry far more weight than a nice suit or a fancy car in my opinion. Image is just an illusion.

    As the famous quote says, a reputation can take years to build, but just seconds to ruin.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2014 · 730 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I got in this business so I could wear sweat pants everyday. And damnit I’m going to do that.

    Meeting with a banker? Sweat pants. If my net worth statement and global DTI are good enough, my image won't stop me from getting a loan.

    Meeting with an investor? Sweat pants. It shows authenticity and proves I don’t need to impress them with image. My performance speaks for itself.

    I regularly meet newer investors for coffee. What do I wear? Sweat pants. It gives them assurance that a suit and tie is not required for success.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y

    My Grandmother that lived in Germany died a while back.  My wife and I went to Germany to deal with the estate including selling her home.  The bank recommended a realtor.  I provided my own trusted translator.  The realtor showed up at my Grandma's home as scheduled and he looked like a homeless person.  He did not try to address us in English once.  I thought it was great that I had my trusted translator.  As the realtor left both the wife, my translator and I had the same reaction: Can we use this guy?  Can he sell anything?  It appears he can not afford decent clothes.

    Fortunately, I had an ex-foreign exchange student who is lawyer for the German government.  I sent her a copy of the contract and talked to her.  She told me this homeless looking realtor worked for the top Real estate company in Germany.  That they only hired the best.  I trust her but still had doubts.  Contacted another trusted person who was the principal at the town high school (and the father of my translator).  He told me not only is he a good realtor, he is basically the realtor for that town and the surrounding towns.  I felt better.

    Next meeting, again at my Grandmother's, he arrived a little early before my translator which was fortunate.  He spoke to us in English saying he had not spoken English since college (his English was great and this homeless looking person went to college).  We signed the contract.  A couple days later we went to his office for the first time.  It was on the corner of the two main streets in town.  He had nearly 100' of linear street space in the top location in town (literally the best store location there was).  He had physical listings under glass billboard for virtually the entire store front including listing for towns 40 minutes away.  He literally had 100s of listings posted and my grandmother's was not even up yet.  Of course, he sold the property quickly.  He sold if for $2K Euro more than he indicated he thought it would sell for which means his estimated value was very accurate.

    Long story but here are the take aways: 1) people do judge appearance 2) if you are good and people know you are good, they do not care much about how you look  3) reputation and look do not always correspond.

  • Member since 2018 · 433 posts · 208 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Jason Ridout

    I dress well and drive a 1 year old Sierra.

    I'm 40 years old, and comfortable with who I am and around my clients.

    When I put together a partnership to buy an apartment building - how seriously would someone take me if I drove a late model dodge caravan or wore flip flops.

    My equity partners are successful, clean cut ‐ well dressed people.

    Surround yourself with the people you would like to be represented by, and take yourself seriously.

    On a side note, shop for your clothes, cars stocks and properties in the same fashion. Find a good deal.

     I guess you and others here wouldn't want to partner with me. Lol

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 824 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    I believe there's value to dressing nicely, but I don't personally do it. I wear comfortable, clean clothes that allow me to work in the office or crawl under a house. If it's a hot summer, I've been known to wear shorts and flip-flops.

    Personally, I'm skeptical of anyone that tries to be the best-dressed in the room. It makes me wonder if they're attempting to compensate for something they lack. I expect people to dress commensurate with their profession and/or their peers.

    And if someone refuses to work with me because of the way I dress, I would be OK with that.

    I'm in IT consulting for my day job -- I am a small guy and I absolutely try to have the most appropriate attire possible. A suit that fits, in gray, black, or navy. Nothing too outlandish. Enough to show I'm a professional, and I care about the details, because I do.

    What you have to watch out for is the guy who dresses the best in the room AND is also the most talkative/know-it-all type. I spot these folks a mile away and they usually fall into two categories -- the orange cheeto (the new name I'm now giving that type of person) or the beautiful mind. 97% are the orange cheeto.

  • Rental Property Investor · parksville, bc · Member since 2017 · 153 posts · 148 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dan H.:

    My Grandmother that lived in Germany died a while back.  My wife and I went to Germany to deal with the estate including selling her home.  The bank recommended a realtor.  I provided my own trusted translator.  The realtor showed up at my Grandma's home as scheduled and he looked like a homeless person.  He did not try to address us in English once.  I thought it was great that I had my trusted translator.  As the realtor left both the wife, my translator and I had the same reaction: Can we use this guy?  Can he sell anything?  It appears he can not afford decent clothes.

    Fortunately, I had an ex-foreign exchange student who is lawyer for the German government.  I sent her a copy of the contract and talked to her.  She told me this homeless looking realtor worked for the top Real estate company in Germany.  That they only hired the best.  I trust her but still had doubts.  Contacted another trusted person who was the principal at the town high school (and the father of my translator).  He told me not only is he a good realtor, he is basically the realtor for that town and the surrounding towns.  I felt better.

    Next meeting, again at my Grandmother's, he arrived a little early before my translator which was fortunate.  He spoke to us in English saying he had not spoken English since college (his English was great and this homeless looking person went to college).  We signed the contract.  A couple days later we went to his office for the first time.  It was on the corner of the two main streets in town.  He had nearly 100' of linear street space in the top location in town (literally the best store location there was).  He had physical listings under glass billboard for virtually the entire store front including listing for towns 40 minutes away.  He literally had 100s of listings posted and my grandmother's was not even up yet.  Of course, he sold the property quickly.  He sold if for $2K Euro more than he indicated he thought it would sell for which means his estimated value was very accurate.

    Long story but here are the take aways: 1) people do judge appearance 2) if you are good and people know you are good, they do not care much about how you look  3) reputation and look do not always correspond.

     I think this sums it up. Upon first impression you almost didn't sign the listing due to the appearance of the Realtor. After educating yourself and learning he was a great Realtor, you signed with him. But how many people don't spend the time researching the person they just met? How many people saw a "homeless" Realtor and just called the next one? 

    The moral of the story is, why not dress nice? Yes, image is an illusion, but it's an illusion you can create until people find out more about you. If this top Realtor didn't look homeless, how much easier would it be to land clients? Why fight an uphill battle? If you look the part and then people find out you are the part, awesome. If you don't look the part, now you need to convince them otherwise.

    Tenants are a different story, but banks, Realtors, contractors and other investors are judging you and you need them to believe you are professional. It's true my friend has a $500 van and owns over 10 houses, but he has done most of that with his own money. Trying to attract investment partners is a whole different story. If you want someone to give you hundreds of thousands of dollars for a joint venture, looking like a homeless person isn't going to help you convince them. Maybe after showing all the numbers and previous success you can sway people, but why start in the wrong direction?

  • Yuma, AZ · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 137 votes
    6y

    @Jason Ridout image is for sales people. I was in sales long time ago got tired of working. Now I own income properties and make 5 digits with no personal debt. . I drive a 2001 4x4. I wear tshirts and shorts only..after awhile people take u serious when you buy and own properties. Contractors invite me out for lunches and beers. All you need to do is be for real in what ever you do..keep buying!!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jason Ridout:
    Originally posted by @Dan H.:

    My Grandmother that lived in Germany died a while back.  My wife and I went to Germany to deal with the estate including selling her home.  The bank recommended a realtor.  I provided my own trusted translator.  The realtor showed up at my Grandma's home as scheduled and he looked like a homeless person.  He did not try to address us in English once.  I thought it was great that I had my trusted translator.  As the realtor left both the wife, my translator and I had the same reaction: Can we use this guy?  Can he sell anything?  It appears he can not afford decent clothes.

    Fortunately, I had an ex-foreign exchange student who is lawyer for the German government.  I sent her a copy of the contract and talked to her.  She told me this homeless looking realtor worked for the top Real estate company in Germany.  That they only hired the best.  I trust her but still had doubts.  Contacted another trusted person who was the principal at the town high school (and the father of my translator).  He told me not only is he a good realtor, he is basically the realtor for that town and the surrounding towns.  I felt better.

    Next meeting, again at my Grandmother's, he arrived a little early before my translator which was fortunate.  He spoke to us in English saying he had not spoken English since college (his English was great and this homeless looking person went to college).  We signed the contract.  A couple days later we went to his office for the first time.  It was on the corner of the two main streets in town.  He had nearly 100' of linear street space in the top location in town (literally the best store location there was).  He had physical listings under glass billboard for virtually the entire store front including listing for towns 40 minutes away.  He literally had 100s of listings posted and my grandmother's was not even up yet.  Of course, he sold the property quickly.  He sold if for $2K Euro more than he indicated he thought it would sell for which means his estimated value was very accurate.

    Long story but here are the take aways: 1) people do judge appearance 2) if you are good and people know you are good, they do not care much about how you look  3) reputation and look do not always correspond.

     I think this sums it up. Upon first impression you almost didn't sign the listing due to the appearance of the Realtor. After educating yourself and learning he was a great Realtor, you signed with him. But how many people don't spend the time researching the person they just met? How many people saw a "homeless" Realtor and just called the next one? 

    The moral of the story is, why not dress nice? Yes, image is an illusion, but it's an illusion you can create until people find out more about you. If this top Realtor didn't look homeless, how much easier would it be to land clients? Why fight an uphill battle? If you look the part and then people find out you are the part, awesome. If you don't look the part, now you need to convince them otherwise.

    Tenants are a different story, but banks, Realtors, contractors and other investors are judging you and you need them to believe you are professional. It's true my friend has a $500 van and owns over 10 houses, but he has done most of that with his own money. Trying to attract investment partners is a whole different story. If you want someone to give you hundreds of thousands of dollars for a joint venture, looking like a homeless person isn't going to help you convince them. Maybe after showing all the numbers and previous success you can sway people, but why start in the wrong direction?

    >The moral of the story is, why not dress nice? Yes, image is an illusion, but it's an illusion you can create until people find out more about you. If this top Realtor didn't look homeless, how much easier would it be to land clients?  

    In this case, I am not sure it mattered at all.  My Grandma's bank recommended him, my ex-foreign exchange student /government lawyer who was in Berlin (half of the country away) indicated he worked for a firm that only hired the best, the local HS principal who researched the RE agent not only indicated he was the best but that he had 100% of the market and the surrounding market.

    I suspect the agent had enough business that he did not feel a need to impress me or anyone else with how he dressed.  Not speaking German, I could not tell if he was coming off literate until he ended up speaking to us in English (and he came across as quite literate as his English was very good especially for someone who had not spoken it in years).  By the time he spoke to me in English, I had had 3 diverse sources (bank, government lawyer, and local HS principal) saying he was exceptional.  I believe he was past trying to dress to impress.  No need.  He was the pinnacle of the agents in the area and it seems like the locals knew it, the bank knew it, and my ex-exchange student half the country away knew he had to be exceptional. 

  • Developer · NY/NJ/PA · Member since 2018 · 758 posts · 935 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jason Ridout:

    Tenants are a different story, but banks, Realtors, contractors and other investors are judging you and you need them to believe you are professional. It's true my friend has a $500 van and owns over 10 houses, but he has done most of that with his own money. Trying to attract investment partners is a whole different story. If you want someone to give you hundreds of thousands of dollars for a joint venture, looking like a homeless person isn't going to help you convince them. Maybe after showing all the numbers and previous success you can sway people, but why start in the wrong direction?

     Why should you have to? Unless it's a funeral or a wedding, you wont see me in a suit. From what I've experienced (10 years in the business, 3 years working in the institutional space), only people who care about image are the people who work for someone else. I've met plenty of people in this business who are worth $50-$100m+ that look like bums. 

    I myself have raised millions in various businesses relatively easily. I wear jeans and a hoodie or sweats and a hoodie every day. My bankers give a crap less about what I look like. All they care about is my PFS and bank balance. My investors only care about my reputation and track record. But my employees and contractors would notice if i show up in a fancy car when I'm haggling over every dollar.  

    You know what wins business? Track record, confidence, and intellect. Can you converse with someone who know the numbers down to a T. Sorry but most HNW individuals get pitched by con men in a shiny suit every other day. What they appreciate is authenticity.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Jill F.

    Here here

    I sat in a town building council meeting last night watching multiple home owners arguing their case for variances for their personal building projects.

    The guy with the tiny house trying to get a approval for a 2nd garage parking space was in a suit and all of the people working with him, engineers and architects etc came in suits and ties

    The guy with the huge estate who wanted to build a colossal unnecessary back porch showed up in a hoodie and flip flops (it was 32 degrees out) he acted annoyed he even needed to show up.

    The more money/success you have, it seems looks matter less. If you are a white male that is.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    I dust off my suit for board meetings. 

    Otherwise, you find me driving around in my corolla with junk in the backseat, a pile of papers in my office, jeans and a t-shirt in the summer, jeans and a hoodie in the winter. 

    But, I place tremendous value on my "image" - I carefully construct what I write, how I talk in board meetings, how I craft feedback to our team, how I present the business operating results to stakeholders, how I help others on the podcast, in videos, and how I write in these forums. 

    It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. I'm working hard on getting those 20 years of strong reputation. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Jason Ridout best advice I ever got: "dress one step sharper than the client" 

    Also, a quality blazer and nice shoes can let you go into any meeting looking decent and can dress up and down matches jeans, slacks etc.  Keep it in your car. 

    We used to have "Filene's basement" in Boston where they had luxury suits etc and they would mark them down gradually till they sold. It was amazing and you could find some real gems, 3K suits for $ 200 etc. 

    Ah....

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooke Park Drive · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Scott Trench:

    I dust off my suit for board meetings. 

    Otherwise, you find me driving around in my corolla with junk in the backseat, a pile of papers in my office, jeans and a t-shirt in the summer, jeans and a hoodie in the winter. 

    But, I place tremendous value on my "image" - I carefully construct what I write, how I talk in board meetings, how I craft feedback to our team, how I present the business operating results to stakeholders, how I help others on the podcast, in videos, and how I write in these forums. 

    It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. I'm working hard on getting those 20 years of strong reputation. 

     I could easily ruin a reputation in far less than 5 minutes

  • Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
    6y

    Image is important but you need to tailor it for your market. If your a real estate agent I expect you in a suit, but not if you are a real estate investor. I buy houses direct from home owners and wearing a suit would be a negative. If you feel to slick then you aren't going to relate and they are going to feel like you are going to get one over them. Personally I have branded polo's that I wear all the time. In summer I wear them with shorts and in winter with Jeans. For me it works as I look professional enough that I have a consistent brand image on my shirt, website, cards etc but I am also casual, laid back and relatable. I don't think this is right for everyone but you need to figure out what feels right for you AND resonates with your audience.  

    Home Buyer Louisiana4.853 Reviews
  • Member since 2018 · 433 posts · 208 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jason Ridout:

    I worked in the automotive repair industry for over 15 years where my image was not of major relevance. Employees wore coveralls and had no personal dealings with the public. You don't need to look like a rockstar to fix cars.

    When I became an investor and then got my real estate license, it was a bit of an eye opener. I always dressed in clean clothes and shaved, but coming from the automotive industry I never understood the value of how you present yourself. Now I buy decent clothes that fit well and make sure I'm well dressed anytime I'm seen by the public. I have started priding myself on being the best dressed person in a room. People notice the bested dressed person in the room. Like David Greene says, he doesn't have to wear a suit when he sells houses, but it makes the job that much easier.

    Where do you draw the line? I used to view spending $75 on a nice shirt a total waste of money, but now I feel confidant and people are more willing to believe you are a professional by looking the part. That $75 shirt might earn the trust of a client that earns me thousands of dollars. Now I'm looking at my car. It's a 2011 midsize sedan (think Honda Accord) and it looks presentable. Is that adequate? If I'm a successful investor and top realtor, wouldn't I drive a nicer car? Are top realtors successful because they drive a nice car, or do they drive a nice car because they are successful?

    I'm not a fan of dumping $20,000 on a car that is just a liability. I'm happy in a $4,000 simple car, but what image am I presenting? 

    My friend, who owns over ten investment properties now, drives a $500 Dodge Caravan that has dents on every panel. It looks awful. I think it's great that he focuses his money on investments, not liabilities like cars, but what do other people think of him? Is a contractor or fellow investor going to take him serious?

    How much is my image worth? I won't go dump $50,000 on a car, and anything I buy would be a cash purchase (thanks investments!) but even at $20,000, is that money better spent by parking it in more real estate, or will the confidence people gain in me by driving a nicer car have a better ROI?

     My agent drives a $500 car, wears jeans and a plaid shirt to work. He also owns apartments. I take him far more serious than the other agents who show up in suits. When they're trying to show me the master bath he's laying out numbers on the property. He itemizes the closing costs right in the offer with who is paying what. The other agents don't often know what the numbers even mean. In my business, (commercial truck repair,) I regularly rub shoulders with millionaires, (not just net worth,) and few of them dress to impress. When people show up dressed up for what I consider everyday tasks I feel like they're putting on a show. It actually makes me more sceptacle of them. Could just be me though. 

  • Coloraado · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    @Jason Ridout

    I would keep my car clean inside and out. Just remember the guy with the fancy car has a liability and works for the guy with the simple 20 year old car who owns assets

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 34 votes
    6y

    I think this cuts both ways, and as with most things in life, the middle path and avoiding either extreme is best.

    Are you more interested in working with consumers or investors? Your physical image probably matters a little more to consumers, and your track record and industry reputation probably matter a lot more to investors.

    Looking clean and smelling inoffensive are good baselines no matter how casual you are at the moment. On the other hand, some people are probably going to be put off if you smell strongly of cologne, look like you spent hours on your hair this morning, have a watch that's more expensive than their car, or a car that's more expensive than their house.

  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    6y

    When I go see my tenants I like to drive my beat up Camry and wear the clothes with the most paint stains on them. Everyone thinks I'm working hard when they see dirty work clothes.

    When I'm meeting with retail buyers and seller, I drive my Lexus and put in some earrings.

    When I go to the gym, I wear my workout clothes. When I go to bed, I wear my pajamas.

    I think there is a certain uniform required for different situations. When you want to sell and make an impression, looking the part will help. 

    There are some gray areas. Maybe for the banker you've never met you dress to impress, but after they realize your net worth and work ethic, you can go in with your automotive clothes. Why not use clothing as a tool to help you get the job done. It's not the only tool, but it's one that you have control over.

    There is more to image than what you wear, like how you smile and how you look at people in the eye when you greet them. And to second what @Scott Trench said "But, I place tremendous value on my "image" - I carefully construct what I write, how I talk in board meetings, how I craft feedback to our team, how I present the business operating results to stakeholders, how I help others on the podcast, in videos, and how I write in these forums."

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.