DG A.
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Votes |
How to Give Notice & Move into Tenant Occupied Property - Oakland

DG A.
  • San Francisco Bay Area
Posted Aug 26 2016, 15:16

Hi Everybody!

I just closed on my first property today! I'm super excited! Anyway... 

It's a tenant occupied duplex in Oakland CA. Both units are occupied. Anyone with experience doing this in oakland CA, my question is for you:

How exactly do I go about giving the tenant notice to move out, so that I can move into their unit and live there? 

Some follow up questions:

1. If the tenant moves voluntarily after getting the 60 day notice, is that technically an "owner move-in eviction"or does it NOT fall under the definition of an OMI until I file some kind of legal paperwork? In the case where the tenant leaves voluntarily after 60 day notice, am I obligated to live in that unit for 3 years? 
  2. What exactly does that 60 day notice look like? Is there a form online somewhere I need to use? Does anyone have an example form or letter they can post for me to use? Obviously, I would use at my own risk, and need to consult an attorney for legal advice. Hey, direct message me if you don't want to post publicly. 
  3. What happens if the tenant fights me on me wanting to move in? I legitimately intend to move into this place, right now I'm living on my mom's couch. Not fun. Is there some specific legal filing I need to start on? What are the general steps from 60 day notice on down the line in an owner move-in eviction process?

I'm really excited about starting on this RE investment journey, and grateful for any help!

Cheers! :)

-Danny 

Loading replies...