Wanting to get my Real Estate license

4 Replies | Denver, Colorado

I want it not necessarily to become a realtor, but more so to provide a slight advantage to myself financially to both the purchasing and selling of real estate but also to gain access to MLS listing.

First, I'd like to ask if this is even adventitious as a real estate investor or if I'd be merely wasting time and money?  

Second, If anyone could refer to a good school that is affordable and actually helps you pass the test?  I just want to make sure I use an accredited school.

Thanks in advance!

Tim Milosich

Hi @Tim Milosich ,
I would suggest it is an advantage for you and many other investors have recommended that all RE investors should get their license just to have direct access to the MLS. For them, the financial benefit is just a bonus.

With that said, I do not have an MLS license but have considered getting my CCIM license in the future just because it will make me better when reviewing commercial deals.

Promotion
BiggerPockets
The one-stop-shop for REI
Find Investor-Friendly Agents in Denver
Work with an agent who understands your needs as an investor and helps you find the best deals.
Find Your Agent Now

@Tim Milosich You're going to have to find a broker willing to take you on in that aspect. The thing about most investors is that they don't do enough deals to be good with the contracts, etc. This means greater liability for the managing broker. The MLS is REcolorado, and you can find up to date listings there.

What's your day job? Do you have time to devote to finding deals and being an investor. Can I tile a floor, sure, however it takes me away from finding the next deal and generating income. Sometimes it is actually cheaper and more beneficial to pay a professional.

Originally posted by @Matt M. :

@Tim Milosich You're going to have to find a broker willing to take you on in that aspect. The thing about most investors is that they don't do enough deals to be good with the contracts, etc. This means greater liability for the managing broker. The MLS is REcolorado, and you can find up to date listings there.

What's your day job? Do you have time to devote to finding deals and being an investor. Can I tile a floor, sure, however it takes me away from finding the next deal and generating income. Sometimes it is actually cheaper and more beneficial to pay a professional.

I was recently laid off from my job of 16 years so my time, at this point, is fairly unlimited.