Votes
Chris Perrotta
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Unauthorized satellite installations on rental units

Chris Perrotta
  • Denver, CO
Posted Apr 24 2017, 16:27

Just got through a rather stressful afternoon with some tenants of mine in Federal Heights. A door-to-door salesman came and sold them a Direct TV Package. He was employed by a sales/installation sub-contractor called NOW Communications out of Tempe, AZ who did not verify that they if they had authorization to permit the installation of a system on the property. I caught their contractors working at the property, on the roof, and demanded a Proof of Insurance - as I do for any contractor working at my property. They could not produce one, and their "big boss" claimed to have idea what I was talking about and just kept repeating that they are authorized reseller and installer for Direct TV. 

Direct TV claimed that they would not perform an install without verifying the homeowner or tenant could authorize the install - in writing. Apparently their shady subcontractors do not follow these guidelines. Just a heads-up for other landlords to be careful of this, particularly in Fed Heights, Westminster, Thornton and other north-of-Denver neighborhoods. It's worth sending a notice out, in this case my tenants were just ignorant but should have realized there are specifically satellite TV clauses in their Lease Agreement... I do not allow any contractors on my properties without consent from me, and I require a CoI with their bid. 

Always something new to learn in this business... 

Chris

Loading replies...