Recommendations for CPA/Tax Prep

14 Replies

It's that time of year.  Looking for recommendations for a local CPA/Tax expert specializing in real-estate.  Who do you use/trust?

Same question, Jack

Hey guys, I've been using Attaway Linville for a few years, great people who really know real estate and are active investors. 

Steven Peake with Morris Stevens Tiller is who we use.  We've been very pleased.   Message me for contact info.

Originally posted by @Chris Brown :

Hey guys, I've been using Attaway Linville for a few years, great people who really know real estate and are active investors. 

Do you have to meet in their office, or is it all done online/remote? 

@Jack Forester , we do everything remotely. I have met at their offices to get some face time, but I have not needed to go down there in a while. 

Originally posted by @Chris Brown :

@Jack Forester, we do everything remotely. I have met at their offices to get some face time, but I have not needed to go down there in a while. 

How big of Operation are you? I struggle with the thought that I may be too small to offset the costs. I currently only have 4 long term rentals. 

I rehab 4-8 houses per year. I don't have any rentals as of yet. In my opinion, I need to have someone that specializes in taxes to assist with, not only taxes, but other various issues that come up in regards to taxes and how I operate the business. 

You could give them a call and discuss to get an idea of the costs and benefits. I would suggest speaking with them as well as a local CPA and get a feel for who understands your needs the best and who you feel like you can work best with. 

I have learned that speaking with other professionals in the industry or related industries is the cheapest education I can get and I always learn something when I do. 

Best of luck!

@Jack Forester

Congrats on acquiring rental properties!

It appears that you acquired your first rental property in 2011. Who have you been using to prepare your returns/provide you tax strategies since 2011?
Have you been preparing yourself or have you had an accountant.

Do you have all your properties in Georgia?

There are a lot of CPA's on BP who work with investors remotely. You should interview a couple and see if you connect with anyone.

If you would like to work with someone nearby - you may want to consider looking into Atlanta since it appears to be closeby to Cumming.

I had a CPA initially, but discovered some oddities that made me question their knowledge of the real estate specific side of things.  I've been doing them myself for the past 3 years. 

Functionally, it's not difficult to track income, expenses, and capital depreciation,  but I'm wondering if there are some tricks I'm missing.

@Jack Forester

What percentage of your prior CPA's were real estate investors?
The issue with a lot of accountants is that they dont necessarily specialize in one field are instead a "jack of all trades". 

Early in my career - I worked under CPA's who would prepare returns for doctors, contractors, architects, real estate investors, day traders etc. 

The tax code is infiniti pages long and the code is updated constantly. It is hard for these jack of all trade CPA's to provide advice to clients if they try to cater to everyone.

You might be better off working with a CPA who only works with real estate investors.

@Jack Forester , I am also in the Atlanta area and I can provide you with some recommendations. Send me a PM or give me a call. 

Originally posted by @Basit Siddiqi :

@Jack Forester

What percentage of your prior CPA's were real estate investors?
The issue with a lot of accountants is that they dont necessarily specialize in one field are instead a "jack of all trades". 

Early in my career - I worked under CPA's who would prepare returns for doctors, contractors, architects, real estate investors, day traders etc. 

The tax code is infiniti pages long and the code is updated constantly. It is hard for these jack of all trade CPA's to provide advice to clients if they try to cater to everyone.

You might be better off working with a CPA who only works with real estate investors.

And this is why I posted here for recommendations. 

If you have recommendations, post them here. A DM does not help others who would like the same information. I'm trying to figure out why someone would not publicly recommend someone. Is it because they are recommending themselves?  I'd like recommendations for people you use and are pleased with. Thanks in advance.

Following to get some recommendations also! Thanks.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.