6 Family Unit Inspection Repeating The Same Problem

9 Replies | Chicago, Illinois

Having the same problem again.  6 Family unit property, all cash deal, and the seller's agent is saying that 6-8 hours is too long and has a person that can do it in 3 hours.  We having concerns all around about the standard protocol for an inspection. 

"We having concerns all around about the standard protocol for an inspection. "

The standard protocol is very simple: "He who has the money makes the rules." The seller's agent has a fiduciary duty to the seller, not to you. Tell him your guy, 6 to 8 hours, or no deal.

Remember, the seller agent's inspector wants repeat business from the agent, so he's got a bias against full and fair problem disclosures right from the jump; you're just a one off buyer

Originally posted by @Nathan Platter :

Hey @Calvin Lipscomb ,

Can you provide more specifics? What is taking 6 hours versus the seller agent taking only 3 hours?

The inspector we are using state that they need the time to do a thorough inspection.  6 units at 1200 sq ft per unit and they want to do a thorough inspection.  

Originally posted by @Nathan Platter :

Hey @Calvin Lipscomb ,

Can you provide more specifics? What is taking 6 hours versus the seller agent taking only 3 hours?

Also this is a long term, 15+ years, buy and hold property.   We would want to know what we are dealing with for the long haul.

If they won’t allow the appropriate amount of time for an inspection then tell the listing agent you and your team will walk away. Only allowing 3 hours for a 6-unit inspection sounds like a major red flag. 

@Calvin Lipscomb

Same advice as in your similar thread;

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/664/topics/57...

No way that 3 hours is enough time, 8 may be a little much if the units are the same and/or if any of the mechanicals are centralized.  Agents will tell you a lot of things.  Who knows who the real objector is?  Could be the owner, could be seller's agent or it could be your own agent.  Typically both agents would stick around for the inspection.  

I like the post from @Roy N. who stated that you could offer to remove the contingency and offer 30% less.

I agree if the seller has nothing to hide what difference does it make to take 3 or 6 hours for an good inspection that’s protecting your interest. The inspection is one of the most important due diligence process that you can do. I agree let me inspect or walk ...

Better than closing then discovering oh we missed that on the inspection.... the seller should let you inspect the property unless they have something to hide.

Thanks again all.  The seller did cave in for the time needed by the inspector chosen.  In calling other inspectors we were reminded that time spent does not always equal quality.  We did needed to be reminded of that point.  The inspector we have on deck is relatively new and therefore not as deeply experience as others.  An experience inspector who knows the specific stock of an area probably can get it done within in a 4 hour time frame.  I just have issues with someone limiting the time of an inspection.  My group is planning on holding for 15+ years so every detail will matter to us. 

Originally posted by @John Clark :

"We having concerns all around about the standard protocol for an inspection. "

The standard protocol is very simple: "He who has the money makes the rules." The seller's agent has a fiduciary duty to the seller, not to you. Tell him your guy, 6 to 8 hours, or no deal.

Remember, the seller agent's inspector wants repeat business from the agent, so he's got a bias against full and fair problem disclosures right from the jump; you're just a one off buyer

Thanks for your response.  That was our official position to the seller.  However, we were having an internal debate that needed a resolution.  We are planning on being active in the area and knowing what they typical time frame is important for us to be aware of.  Buyers and sellers can become unreasonable in their demands.