Add a new electric meter?

Add a new electric meter?

Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 68 votes

So I have a two flat, but it has common stairways and a laundry room. Will ComEd add a meter that I can have an electrician just wire to those areas even if it doesn't directly correspond to a unit? We'd be looking at adding a third meter that we'd pay so the tenants wouldn't be responsible for the common areas at all.

If possible, has anyone done this or have an estimate of the cost to see if it's worth it?

0Reply
165 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 66 votes
7y

Just did this in Jefferson Park. You'll need a new meter and electric panel. Had to update the other meters as well and it ran me about $3,500. You have to have an electrician prepare everything and he tells ComEd, then ComEd will come out and install the new meter within a month. Message me and I can refer an electrician who was great to work with. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    What are you trying to accomplish? The energy usage would be minimal unless the laundry room is a laundrymat in disguise. You should be able to estimate common stairway lighting pretty accurately. That leaves only the laundry.

    Much better to split out the second apartment.

    No harm in asking ComEd to wire in two new meters, I guess, but I don't see the point in busting out stairs and a laundry. You'd get killed each month on the service fee, too, which is over and above the electric use.
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 238 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    Fair point. The two units are already separated, but one unit is paying all of the laundry room costs and the other is paying all of the common area lighting costs, so that's where I was wondering if a third meter would be worth it. It easily won't be, but I'm just comparing all my options for how to handle the property when I move out of one of the units (hopefully soon).

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Lucas Hammer this is a fairly common item, and it would probably run in the 2-3k range to do this. This is something which is often required by code in 3 and 4 units in the suburbs, so I run across this repair fairly regularly. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    New 200amp service stack from the meter base to the roof, new 200 amp service panel & respective breakers. Utility installed their new meter & ran their wiring from the street to my new weather-head.

    Parts $800, NY State Inspection $54 & a Town Permit was NOT required for this property. I then sent the NY State Inspection to the Town & my Ins Carrier. Quotes from electrical service companies ran $3000-$4500.

    I also installed a new 100amp service panel last year in a flip. Got the permit & installed it all myself. I subsequently rewired the entire home to upgrade all the circuits to code. The Utility had removed the meter  & reinstalled an upgraded meter after the electrical Inspection. New Panel & breakers $250 Permit $150.

  • Lender · Chicago · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    Just did this in Jefferson Park. You'll need a new meter and electric panel. Had to update the other meters as well and it ran me about $3,500. You have to have an electrician prepare everything and he tells ComEd, then ComEd will come out and install the new meter within a month. Message me and I can refer an electrician who was great to work with. 

    • Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1 post · 0 votes
      3mo
      Hi Jason I wish I had known this before but just catching up on this. Do you still have that electricians number? Did you have the meter installed in the basement and how many meters were there before install? I’m being told by an electrician he probably needs to move the existing electric meters and service outside to the side of the building wall.

      Quote from @Jason Albasha:

      Just did this in Jefferson Park. You'll need a new meter and electric panel. Had to update the other meters as well and it ran me about $3,500. You have to have an electrician prepare everything and he tells ComEd, then ComEd will come out and install the new meter within a month. Message me and I can refer an electrician who was great to work with. 


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.