• Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Finding your target market

Curtis Robbins
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Nov 14 2018, 13:02

So I'm planning to buy multiple properties in Indy for 2019 (3 or more). I've lived here all my life, and recognize good numbers when I see them, but I'm really struggling to determine a targeting approach. I'm a complete numbers guy, and don't find myself inclined by appearances or location, which really leaves me blowing in the wind. I've read about this a lot, and have heard all the popular advice;

• Buy Where You would want to live
  • Make sure you hit the 1% rule (which is apparently easy in Indy)
  • Expect increasing/decreasing costs of maintenance, vacancy, and supervision as you move up/down the tenancy quality scale
  • Focus on just a few niche areas of your market, and become the expert
  • etc.

However, i'm having a hard time pulling all of this info together and applying it. I look around Indy, and I see obvious places to invest, but they seem over-saturated with investors already and I wonder how much success I could actually achieve there (fountain square, I'm looking at you). Conversely, I see areas with lots of deals, where the numbers look pretty but the neighbors don't. 

There seems to be plenty of opportunity and great places to buy in Indy, but they are all stiff with competition. The deals I see from wholesalers seem to focus on D-Class communities that fail the 'would I live here?' test. Implying to me, that the B/C properties change hands prior to hitting the whole sale lists (other than turnkeys). Meaning, I need to find those on my own.

So with all that said, I have a few questions;

1. How do you choose a target market, in a city full of great choices? And how worried should I be about competition in those markets? Should I be concerned with my competition at all?
  2. Are there markets I should never buy in, no matter how good the deal? Or do numbers dictate all (assuming appropriate risk tolerance is present)?
    • Further, would something like this really be worth-while, because of the lower competition in these markets? I mean, I'm sure there are already investors in these high risk areas, but I really question whether a house like that could be mathematically worth it given the risk of poor tenants, crime, vacancy, and listing challenges. Am I wrong?
  3. Should I be casting a broad net, say all of indy where math works? Or would I be better, as some would say, to focus on a few sub-markets?

Thanks in advance.

Loading replies...