• Investor
  • NJ
Votes |
How to screen good contractors & set up a scope of work

Frank Del Corso
  • Investor
  • NJ
Posted Dec 7 2021, 13:21

I am nearly at the end of my first reno on a BRRR property and used a contractor that my Realtor referred to me. I really like my Realtor who is super professional and does what he says he's going to do and goes the extra mile. His contractor friend however is the opposite, he tells me things have been done when in fact they have not been. He doesn't do what he says he's going to do and often times can't be reached and goes missing for days. I texted him this morning letting him know I'd be at the house expecting him to be there hustling to finish the job since I haven't heard from him in days and I need the CO in order to list the 2 units for rent. So he wasn't at the house and there was no sign of any progress since last week. So I decide to go to the zoning office to see what can be done if my contractor disappears in the middle of a job. I then find out the this guy hasn't even submitted the permits for the job despite telling me that they were filed and he got them back! I can't get a clear CO without that inspection since I am converting the property.

Now I am in super hustle mode to find a new plumber and electrician to get these permits submitted (in between my day job) so I can get this place done and move on. Just venting here and I'm sure there are plenty of stories like this one out there and would love to hear them. I would also love to hear about how to outline the scope of work in the future so that I could have fired this guy sooner.

Signed an exasperated first time investor

Loading replies...