• Real Estate Agent
  • Syracuse, NY
Votes |
Should I keep or flip?

Samira Jaber
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Syracuse, NY
Posted May 18 2023, 07:36

bought a house this year (40k) worth 80k in its current condition (needs rehab). My intention was to fix it up (estimated around 12k) and keep it to STR but now I am half way through the rehab and the Town just banned STR.

If I flip it I could sell it for $150-170,000. Should I flip it or keep it?

My goal has always been to keep everything I buy, but I live in NY and the Landlord Tenant laws have made it difficult to want to lease to long term tenants.

If you are unfamiliar with the Landlord Tenant law here are a few examples..

Landlord can only charge up to one month rent for a security deposit or “advanced deposit”

If tenant with a criminal history is denied the law assumes the Landlord denied this tenant because of their criminal history and can be fined

If tenant leaves the unit before their lease is up the landlord has to make good faith effort to fill the vacancy. If the landlord find a new tenant and the new tenants rent is equal to or higher than previous tenants rent the previous lease is considered terminated and the previous tenant can no longer be held liable for the rent

If tenant loses a house case and the judge grants the eviction, the tenant can ask the court for up to 1 year to move if they can show they can not find a similar apartment in the same neighborhood

Loading replies...