• Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Votes |
Apps for flipping walk throughs

Sheri Fluellen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Posted May 20 2023, 19:26

What do flippers use to track the repairs needed based on walk throughs? We could bring a standardized form printed on paper, but using an app on our phone would be more efficient. Anyone have ideas?

User Stats

Votes
Carlton B.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied May 21 2023, 06:42

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but the flipping calculator here on Biggerpockets is useful.

User Stats

Votes
Melvyn Rodriguez
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Central Florida
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Central Florida
Replied May 21 2023, 09:58

When I worked in the SFR industry as a Renovations Project Manager, each company (at least the large ones I worked for - Zillow and SMS Assist now Lessen) had it's own proprietary software that I would use to track the renovations progress after each site-walk. I would incorporate a punch-list app (there are several good / relatively inexpensive options out there) to share my notes with contractors. You may find Notion useful as you have access to it on your phone and can take quick notes during your visit.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 21 2023, 11:13
Quote from @Sheri Fluellen:

What do flippers use to track the repairs needed based on walk throughs? We could bring a standardized form printed on paper, but using an app on our phone would be more efficient. Anyone have ideas?

Notes and video, 

User Stats

Votes
Andy Sabisch
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wilkes-Barre, PA
Replied May 21 2023, 18:26

Sometimes technology makes a simple task complex.  Going through a property with a clipboard that has rooms and you take notes as far as what is needed and then supplement it with photos allows you to go over the notes after a walk through and develop estimates or define what supplemental walk through / inspections are warranted.  We have tried some applications on tablets and spent more time fooling with the application than focusing on the conditions that needed work and would cost money.  

Now we go in with a clipboard, a laser tape measure, a good flashlight, an electrical tester (plug in and proximity probe) and a cell phone camera.  We can get what we need to develop a pretty close estimate on a walk through without fiddling with the application which may not capture all the right issues to focus on.

User Stats

Votes
Carlton B.
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied May 22 2023, 06:08
Quote from @Andy Sabisch:

Sometimes technology makes a simple task complex.  Going through a property with a clipboard that has rooms and you take notes as far as what is needed and then supplement it with photos allows you to go over the notes after a walk through and develop estimates or define what supplemental walk through / inspections are warranted.  We have tried some applications on tablets and spent more time fooling with the application than focusing on the conditions that needed work and would cost money.  

Now we go in with a clipboard, a laser tape measure, a good flashlight, an electrical tester (plug in and proximity probe) and a cell phone camera.  We can get what we need to develop a pretty close estimate on a walk through without fiddling with the application which may not capture all the right issues to focus on.

Just did a walk thru with my son and the plumber. I created a video so I have the rough estimate from the plumber the measurements and enough to go back and use the biggerpockets calculator and setup a decent spreadsheet to track going forward. Like @Andy Sabisch said you don't have to over complicate the process. 

User Stats

Votes
Sheri Fluellen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Replied May 22 2023, 06:47

@Carlton B., I do use the flipping calculator for doing the evals on if we want to go forward or not.  I am referring to a way to track what we think will need fixing in the moment while we're doing a walk through at a potential flip property.

User Stats

Votes
Sheri Fluellen
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cheyenne, WY
Replied May 22 2023, 06:49
Quote from @Andy Sabisch:

I hear what you're saying!!  I was hoping that there would be a simple app to help with the documentation!  But you're right in that when technology goes wrong, it makes everything take longer and be more challenging.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied May 22 2023, 10:18

Just walk it, In no time you can do it all in your head.