Votes
Chris Brall
  • Crown Point, IN
Votes |
Building department trouble’s

Chris Brall
  • Crown Point, IN
Posted Feb 16 2024, 07:18

In lake county Indiana. I rehabbed a home and was caught without building permit I went through the process of getting a permit but my original plan needed a variance after the process and being denied the variance at the board meeting I decided to change the plans to build the structure in the same footprint and received two building permits. One for the house construction and one for the garage. I completed both and received my final inspection off the house but not the garage permit. While under contract to sell the property the buyer went to get a permit for an out building and the building department said I have open permits. I tried to schedule an inspection but the manager said I didn’t complete the variance process and is stating I need to go through the whole process again and won’t inspect the property and give a final approval on the garage permit. This will cost thousands more to complete and loose many potential buyers . i have started the process for a land survey. I have been trying to be as nice as peach pie in order to move the situation along as fast as possible. i was present when my listing broker called the manager to try and get a resolution and the manager lied twice during the conversation and contradicted himself at least twice during that conversation. I am at the mercy of this department and just want to move forward but seem to be going backward. 
Anyone else who has been through this kind of thing?

Any suggestions on what direction to take? 

Thank you.

Loading replies...