Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes

Possible Mediation or Firing GC

Benjamin Amaral
Posted Mar 28 2024, 09:54

I have been working with a GC since June 2023 on a gut and rebuild of a duplex in NH. This is my first time working on a rebuild or working with a GC. The gut was necessary due to a fire that occurred and the water damage from putting out the fire. I received an insurance pay out and lost rental income through September 2023, which has since ended. The GC provided an initial very rough turn around time of 3-4 months to completion, which would have been to the end of October at the latest. We are now upon April 2024, and at the rate things have been going, still have a ways to go (finish ducting for forced hot air, insulation, sheet rock, paint, flooring, kitchens, bathrooms, finishes, and anything I am missing to bring the units to whole). I have caught the GC in a couple of lies about the status of why there have been major delays, and I'm guessing there have been more along the way. Currently, the ducting and furnaces should have been completed and fired up a few weeks ago, which should have been knocked out in a few days by the plumber, but the process is still ongoing and being piecemealed together. HE indicated he only has one sub for each category he subs, so there is just one plumber he uses for all of his projects. It feels like the GC is treating this major gut rebuild as an after though, or side gig, and not prioritizing it in relation to other jobs he has. He has indicated he has 40 employees that work for him, and he has multiple projects going on at one time. There are many details left out, but to keep it relatively concise that is the gist of the situation. I am considering hiring a mediator to attempt to encourage him to move more quickly, or possibly firing him and finishing the rest myself or hiring another GC to finish the project. I would need to research how quickly I could do this myself or how long another GC may take to complete the rebuild. I am in the Rochester/Somerthworth/Dover area. The GC commutes from Concord, NH, in case that is relevant.

I have learned my lesson to vet the GC selection much more thoughtfully and thoroughly going forward. I will not make that mistake again! Considering where I fund myself now, I am wondering your thoughts on the following:

1. What would you recommend as next steps to obtain the goal of finishing the rebuild as quickly as possible?

2. If you recommend mediation, would you point to any specific mediation association? A friend from Oregon recommended I reach out to the equivalent of the CCB (Construction Contractor's Board) in NH, but it does not look like we have an equivalent association.

I appreciate any input in advance!

Loading replies...