Look at this waterproofed basement

7 Replies

The owner had a french drain installed on the perimeter, but they also have raised plywood on the floor.

Has anyone seen this before? Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

How's the plywood installed? It looks like a subfloor for flooring that didn't happen.

I had the same interior drain tile system installed on my home. It looks good from what I can see. I would have had the drain line tucked closer to the wall. It appears that there is adequate ceiling height and the raised floor made it possible to level everything out nicely. I did not choose to raise the floor in my basement but there was a couple inches difference in elevation throughout the basement.

I had water coming into the basement primarily through cracks in the floor. I had the system put in in the fall and walled up shortly after. This time of year is when the seepage was the worst and it has been dry as a bone thus far.

Originally posted by @Kyle Hipp :
I had the same interior drain tile system installed on my home. It looks good from what I can see. I would have had the drain line tucked closer to the wall. It appears that there is adequate ceiling height and the raised floor made it possible to level everything out nicely. I did not choose to raise the floor in my basement but there was a couple inches difference in elevation throughout the basement.

I had water coming into the basement primarily through cracks in the floor. I had the system put in in the fall and walled up shortly after. This time of year is when the seepage was the worst and it has been dry as a bone thus far.

So what is that system called? I'd like to find out more about it.

Water from coming from the floor is funneled to the edges and into the sump pump? Did you leave the floor like that? Or do you finish it off?

Just called "interior drain tile system". Many times drain tile is installed on the exterior of the footing but it was much more cost effective to do it from the inside. We cut out the cement about a foot from the exterior walls. And dug below the footing. Decided where the pit would be installed and then pitch it all to the pit. We also installed access ports in the line if we needed to clear a clog at some point. The drain tile was covered with a expanded netting to prevent clogs. The hole was then filled with clean gravel. That black plastic went over the footing and left a gap on the wall. The cinder block foundation wall had a drain hole drilled into each pocket so if any water does penetrate into the block it will drain into the pit and the tile. It is then cemented over.

If there was a spring under the floor or a high water table then bleeder line could be intalled into the center of the floor more to bring away more water but mine did not require that at least at this point. A part of the basement is storage. Another part will be a finished room and another a new bathroom and laundry area. I will most likely be putting down sheet vinyl to follow the contour of the floor and will adjust the base moldings for the changing floor heights.

I have seen that flooring system before , it is osb mated to a raised plastic backing . The only thing that would concern me is water sitting under that flooring and becoming moldy . In my previous home it had a basement , and yes it flooded and soaked the old carpet . I ripped it out and replaced it with ceramic tile , next flood will be mop it up and move on .

@Matthew Paul @Kyle Hipp

Is this similar to the product you are talking about?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DRIcore-7-8-in-x-2-ft-x-2-ft-Aspen-Subfloor-Panel-CDGNUS750024024/202268752

That product looks like it would go right onto a flat surface. I would imagine that basement and many older basements would need to be boxed up in order to bring the new floor into a consistent level surface. From the pitcures the osb floor appears to be higher off the floor than that product would achieve.

It sounds like Matthew is talking about that though.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here