I’m looking a better systems for fix and flips and wanted to get your input.
I know home inspectors are usually used by end buyers before closing, but I’m curious how other flippers here use inspectors strategically throughout the project.
Specifically:
Do you hire inspectors before acquisition to uncover hidden issues and negotiate price drops?
Do you use them during renovation planning to help prioritize your scope of work and avoid over-improving?
Has anyone here done a post-renovation inspection before listing to catch issues before buyer inspections and use the clean report for marketing?
I want to make sure I’m not leaving money on the table or exposing myself to surprise repairs later on. Any tips on:
Best timing to bring them in Key questions you ask inspectors to get the most value How they’ve helped you increase profit or avoid major losses
Would love to hear your experiences and strategies.
Handyman · Long Island · Member since 2024 · 14 posts · 5 votes
1y
Hey I'm new here but I would also think that some of these questions could be applied to a good realtor for building resale value and appraisal without over spending for your market
Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2021 · 657 posts · 559 votes
1y
I know this will probably generate some heated responses but our experience in more than 20 years of buying & selling is that the vast majority of home inspectors add little to the deal and in many cases derail them especially when there is a newbie involved. Home inspectors can get training and canned software for reports online from multiple sources. Ever wonder how they can produce a 60+ page report within an hour after leaving a property?
What we do is contact trades people we have come to depend on for repairs such as HVAC, plumbing, roofing and electrical. If we look at a property, we can see most of what is required. If we have questions on the big ticket areas, we call the professionals who know if we buy it they will get the work. If you look at inspection reports, they always say "Recommend contacted a licensed professional for an assessment" . . . . so why not go to that source initially and if you have done work with them, their assessment is usually free.
Some people have said getting an inspection done when you sell the property which you can give to the buyer is an option but often they will still get their own done . . .