Should I List My Flip Now or Wait Until It’s 100% Ready?

Should I List My Flip Now or Wait Until It’s 100% Ready?

Member since 2023 · 20 posts · 8 votes
Hey everyone, I’m currently finishing up a fix and flip with an estimated ARV around $500,000. The property is almost ready for the market, but there are a few final details to wrap up. The main holdup right now is that a few window seals are broken. I’ve already ordered the replacements, but they won’t arrive for about a week and a half. Once they’re installed, everything else will be ready — which puts me at the end of this month or early December for a full completion. I’m also a licensed agent, so I’ll be listing the property myself. My plan was to go ahead and list it now and just note in the remarks that the windows are being replaced. However, one of my investor buddies thinks I should wait until the renovation is 100% complete before listing so that the property shows perfectly. Another buddy says to list now to start building interest and get ahead of the slower winter market. Curious to hear what others would do in this situation — list now and disclose the pending window replacements, or wait until it’s completely finished? Thanks in advance for the feedback!
2Reply
239 views

Most Popular Reply

Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 650 votes
11mo

I’d lean toward waiting until the windows are fully replaced. Since you’re listing yourself, you can time the market strategically, a short wait of a week or two for full completion is unlikely to hurt, and it ensures the property shows perfectly. Buyers tend to respond better when everything is turnkey, and it saves you the hassle of disclosing pending repairs.

Spark Rental Co-Investing Club582 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Enrique Toledo:
    Hey everyone, I’m currently finishing up a fix and flip with an estimated ARV around $500,000. The property is almost ready for the market, but there are a few final details to wrap up. The main holdup right now is that a few window seals are broken. I’ve already ordered the replacements, but they won’t arrive for about a week and a half. Once they’re installed, everything else will be ready — which puts me at the end of this month or early December for a full completion. I’m also a licensed agent, so I’ll be listing the property myself. My plan was to go ahead and list it now and just note in the remarks that the windows are being replaced. However, one of my investor buddies thinks I should wait until the renovation is 100% complete before listing so that the property shows perfectly. Another buddy says to list now to start building interest and get ahead of the slower winter market. Curious to hear what others would do in this situation — list now and disclose the pending window replacements, or wait until it’s completely finished? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

     Hey @Enrique Toledo. I assume the property is a single family that you expect to sell to a homeowner (rather than an investor), is that correct?

  • Member since 2023 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    11mo

    .

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 937 votes
    11mo

    You can list it as "Coming Soon" which gets the property online visibility, but no foot traffic until your "open" date. The goal is to attract the interest, a stampede when the property becomes available and a bidding war as a result.

    Your pictures can show the property with all of its glory and be taken such that the problematic windows are not shown.

    • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      11mo
      Quote from @James Mc Ree:

      You can list it as "Coming Soon" which gets the property online visibility, but no foot traffic until your "open" date. The goal is to attract the interest, a stampede when the property becomes available and a bidding war as a result.

      Your pictures can show the property with all of its glory and be taken such that the problematic windows are not shown.

       That is a good idea. I'd be hesitant to allow prospective homeowners inside with unaddressed deficiencies present. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11mo

    People have a hard time looking beyond first impressions and condensation/fogging in windows would be problematic.

  • Property Manager · Toledo, OH · Member since 2021 · 58 posts · 92 votes
    11mo

    Absolutely wait until you’re 100% finished! 

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 650 votes
    11mo

    I’d lean toward waiting until the windows are fully replaced. Since you’re listing yourself, you can time the market strategically, a short wait of a week or two for full completion is unlikely to hurt, and it ensures the property shows perfectly. Buyers tend to respond better when everything is turnkey, and it saves you the hassle of disclosing pending repairs.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club582 Reviews
  • Andy SabischPro Member
    Investor · Jackson, MS · Member since 2021 · 660 posts · 561 votes
    11mo

    Wait . . . if buyers see one issue they wonder what others they do not see . . . put a quality product out there and you will get top dollar

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11mo
    Quote from @Enrique Toledo:

    If it is just window seals yes list it now. I would clean it and get everything staged, if you are staging and do all other items to get it on the market. If it is more stuff like minor details, QC and other stuff I think you wait till it is fully ready for listing. 

    The McKernan Group4.958 Reviews
  • Deano VulcanoPro Member
    Investor · Fort Mill, SC · Member since 2013 · 129 posts · 70 votes
    11mo

    100% wait, as soon as a potential buyer sees one flaw, they tend to get out the microscope and look for other thing s wrong.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11mo

    As others mentioned I would list it as coming soon. We had a $1M+ property and during coming soon we let them view it knowing it needed some finishing touches, they were ok with it and actually bought the home 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Belmont, MA · Member since 2025 · 150 posts · 65 votes
    11mo

    Enrique, I'd suggest holding off on the official listing until the windows are replaced. Even with a disclosure, unfinished details can make buyers hesitant or give them reason to push the price down. Since your ARV is around $500k, having the property completely finished will make it more appealing and easier to sell at full value. In the meantime, you could start soft marketing like letting interested buyers or other agents know it's coming soon so you're not losing time over the slower winter months, but keep the full listing live only once everything is truly ready. This balances generating interest with protecting your final sale price.

  • Lindsay DavisBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2019 · 327 posts · 203 votes
    10mo

    @Enrique Toledo,

    I know it’s been a while since you asked this question. What approach did you ultimately opt for?

    As a general rule of thumb for anyone else reading this thread, though, I believe that doing some pre-marketing is usually a good idea. I’d give some serious thought to @James Mc Ree's idea on doing a “Coming Soon” listing.

    If you're an agent (like the OP) with access to an MLS, you can list a property with a "Coming Soon" status and it'll show up on marketplaces like Zillow or Redfin.

    You can additionally drum up interest with yard signs and social media posts with “Coming Soon” banners. Then, you can post pictures and offer showings once everything is fixed up and the property is 100% ready to go.

  • Real Estate Broker · Belmont, MA · Member since 2025 · 150 posts · 65 votes
    10mo

    Enrique, if the only issue is a few broken window seals that will be replaced shortly, listing now can help you start generating interest and possibly capture early buyers, especially during a slower winter market. As a licensed agent, you can clearly disclose in the remarks that windows are being replaced and provide the expected completion date. Most buyers are okay with a short wait if they know the work is already planned and budgeted. This approach also gives you time to gauge interest and even collect potential offers, which can reduce your days on market once fully finished.

    On the other hand, waiting until everything is 100 percent done ensures the property shows perfectly, which can create a stronger first impression and reduce any negotiation over “unfinished work.” For higher-end buyers or properties where presentation is critical, this can sometimes justify waiting.

    A practical middle ground is to prepare the listing now, take high-quality photos of the completed sections, and note the pending window replacements with a clear completion date. This way, you’re transparent and can start building momentum while still finishing the project properly. It balances marketing early with maintaining credibility and trust with buyers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.