Investor · Member since 2024 · 79 posts · 30 votes
In my last two deals, I asked sellers for bigger credits to cover closing costs instead of negotiating a lower purchase price — trying to bring less cash to the table. But both times, the hard money lender still calculated the LTV based on purchase price minus credits, even though the appraisal came in much higher.
Example: $260k purchase price, $10k credit → lender used $250k for LTV.
I'm curious — how do other investors handle this? Is it standard for lenders to do this, or are there ways to structure credits so they don't impact LTV as much? Would love to hear what's worked for you!
Flipper/Rehabber · Marysville, WA · Member since 2020 · 216 posts · 126 votes
6mo
As seller I prefer just a lower price. It saves me on commission, excise tax and anything else percentage based at closing. I also have long and heated debates on how credit, buy down, what ever you want to call the "kick back" falsely inflates houe prices and comps as they aren't disclosed or hard to find and unwind to actual value.
Short answer is the HML guys know you have less skin in the game and act in accordance.