How Do You Track Which Contractors Actually Stay on Budget?

How Do You Track Which Contractors Actually Stay on Budget?

Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes

Flippers, how do you actually keep track of which contractors come in on bid vs. who blows your budget? I keep getting burned by guys who quote low then run 30-40% over, and I realized I have zero record of who's actually reliable across my past jobs. Do you track this somewhere, or is everyone just going on memory? Genuinely curious how you all handle it.

2Reply
515 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 608 posts · 768 votes
3mo
Quote from @Ismael El Hamdouchi:

Flippers, how do you actually keep track of which contractors come in on bid vs. who blows your budget? I keep getting burned by guys who quote low then run 30-40% over, and I realized I have zero record of who's actually reliable across my past jobs. Do you track this somewhere, or is everyone just going on memory? Genuinely curious how you all handle it.

I actually do keep a spreadsheet to track this and jot down exactly why the numbers changed. But honestly, my main trick is stopping those overages before they even happen.

Once we lock in that final estimate, my contractors know they can't change a thing without my say-so. Something broke? Call me. Materials out of stock? Call me. A fix is way more complicated than we thought? Call me. I have to greenlight any and all changes outside the original bid.

This setup works great for me, but at the end of the day, a trustworthy GC is worth their weight in gold.
See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3mo

    You don't need a spreadsheet to keep track of this. But I would start up front - when you request bids, let the Contrs. know that you insist on a 'written-in-stone'  bid/proposal. Barring any unforeseen items, you will not pay more than contract price. This will get their attention.

    Kinda like a 'Best and Final' bid when buying a property.

    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @Bruce Woodruff Solid advice, and the "best and final" framing is sharp. Real question though, how often do the "unforeseen items" become the fight? Seems like every flipper I talk to says the fixed bid holds until the walls open up and suddenly everything's a change order. Does that happen to you, or have you got a way to keep the change orders honest too?

    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      3mo
      Quote from @Ismael El Hamdouchi:

      @Bruce Woodruff Solid advice, and the "best and final" framing is sharp. Real question though, how often do the "unforeseen items" become the fight? Seems like every flipper I talk to says the fixed bid holds until the walls open up and suddenly everything's a change order. Does that happen to you, or have you got a way to keep the change orders honest too?

      " says the fixed bid holds until the walls open up and suddenly everything's a change order. Does that happen to you, or have you got a way to keep the change orders honest too?"

      Look, there is absolutely no way to see inside the walls. And there are (almost) always issues waiting inside. All we can do is add a number (10% - 20%) that both Contractor and Client understand is inevitable. This will make the Contractor feel more comfortable and actually lower his initial bid number.

      Investors and remodel customers should try to understand the Contractor mindset - we know with certainty that Change Orders will be necessary. We also know that we will be getting blamed for these and that the customer thinks we are buying a yacht with the proceeds, Lol... No Contractor in his right mind wants a single CO, we don't make money on them, we lose money on them.

      Every day costs us a lot of money to keep our companies running. Even a small-ish company like mine with 10 employees has enormous Overhead. if there are 20 CO's on a job and each adds a week to the project, I am screwed. The actual cost of the CO is never enough to pay for lost time.

      So the 'game-on' is to have a solid SOW and limit COs to the lowest number possible. But Investors also realize that the SOW is a living creature and must grow to match the project. If this reality makes anyone too nervous then they need to find another job.

    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @Bruce Woodruff This is the most useful thing anyone's said in the thread, and it flips how I was thinking. You're right that treating every CO as the contractor's fault is naive most are surprises nobody could've priced. Here's what I'm actually chewing on after your comment: the honest contractor who hits 15% on real hidden issues looks identical, on paper, to the guy who sandbagged the bid. Same number. And it sounds like that lumping-together is exactly what frustrates good contractors. So genuinely from your side of the table, what would fairly distinguish you from a sandbagger? What would you actually want an investor to see about how your COs played out, so you're not tarred with the same brush?

    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      3mo
      Quote from @Ismael El Hamdouchi:

      @Bruce Woodruff This is the most useful thing anyone's said in the thread, and it flips how I was thinking. You're right that treating every CO as the contractor's fault is naive most are surprises nobody could've priced. Here's what I'm actually chewing on after your comment: the honest contractor who hits 15% on real hidden issues looks identical, on paper, to the guy who sandbagged the bid. Same number. And it sounds like that lumping-together is exactly what frustrates good contractors. So genuinely from your side of the table, what would fairly distinguish you from a sandbagger? What would you actually want an investor to see about how your COs played out, so you're not tarred with the same brush?

      "So genuinely from your side of the table, what would fairly distinguish you from a sandbagger? What would you actually want an investor to see about how your COs played out"

      With a good Contractor, you will notice right away the organization and attention to detail. From the first meeting on..... 
      CO's are a big deal in a project, they can make or break the deal for an Investor ($$-wise), and they can decide for a Contr if he wants to work with an investor again.

      Remember that most CO's come from the customer/investor adding to or changing the SOW, and only a couple will come from the Contr side of the deal. After the walls are opened up and the work is underway, the 'surprises' will be dealt with in 1-2 CO's. Almost every change after that will come from the customer.

      Also remember that when working with an Investor, a GC is sacrificing some profit now for more jobs in the future. Which usually never materialize, Lol.... SO if the Investor keeps adding and changing the SOW, they will lose any decent GC.

      So once again I will say - do NOT change anything once you get started. ANYTHING. A few 'behind the walls' things will change... ok, fine....that is expected. Just don't add anything else...
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3mo

    As Bruce said have the scope of work lined out. If there is change orders see why. See if it's something hidden or they simply underbid. If you use that contractor again I would adjust their bid from the percentage they last went over so you are not surprised.

    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @Caleb Brown That percentage-adjustment trick is smart basically pricing in their track record on the next bid. Curious where the line is for you: when a change order comes up mid-job, how do you actually tell "real hidden issue" from "he underbid to win the job and is making it back now"? That call seems like where the money's actually won or lost, and it feels way harder than the tracking part. How do you handle it in the moment?

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 608 posts · 768 votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Ismael El Hamdouchi:

    Flippers, how do you actually keep track of which contractors come in on bid vs. who blows your budget? I keep getting burned by guys who quote low then run 30-40% over, and I realized I have zero record of who's actually reliable across my past jobs. Do you track this somewhere, or is everyone just going on memory? Genuinely curious how you all handle it.

    I actually do keep a spreadsheet to track this and jot down exactly why the numbers changed. But honestly, my main trick is stopping those overages before they even happen.

    Once we lock in that final estimate, my contractors know they can't change a thing without my say-so. Something broke? Call me. Materials out of stock? Call me. A fix is way more complicated than we thought? Call me. I have to greenlight any and all changes outside the original bid.

    This setup works great for me, but at the end of the day, a trustworthy GC is worth their weight in gold.
    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @Anthony L Amos Jr Makes total sense  sounds like the real system is "approve every change + work with a GC you trust," and the spreadsheet's just backup. That's pretty much what everyone who's replied has landed on. Genuinely useful for me to hear. Last thing I'm curious about: back when you were newer first couple flips, before you had a GC you trusted  was this more of a problem then? Trying to figure out if it's a pain that mostly goes away with experience, or one people just learn to live with.

  • Investor · Sterling, VA · Member since 2026 · 89 posts · 48 votes
    3mo

    I think a lot of investors rely on memory longer than they should.

    If I were running multiple projects, I’d track every contractor in a simple spreadsheet with:

    • Original bid
    • Final cost
    • % over/under budget
    • Estimated timeline
    • Actual completion date
    • Number of change orders
    • Communication rating
    • Quality rating
    • Whether I’d hire them again

    After 5–10 projects, you’d have actual data instead of gut feelings.

    I’ve found the bigger issue isn’t necessarily contractors going over budget—it’s understanding why. Was the scope incomplete? Were there legitimate surprises behind the walls? Or was the original bid intentionally low to win the job?

    A contractor who comes in 10% over budget but communicates well and delivers quality work may be more valuable than someone who comes in at budget but creates delays and headaches.

    I’d be curious how others handle this. Has anyone built a contractor scorecard or vendor database they use across all their flips?

    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @Tabish Masood This is exactly the list I kept landing on too, especially the "why did it go over" part, which is the thing a raw number misses. Funny you ask if anyone's built it: I actually got fed up and built exactly this. A scorecard that tracks bid vs final, change orders, schedule, quality, and scores each contractor per trade across all your flips so you can see "great on flooring, always over on electrical" at a glance. It's rough and early. Would you want to throw a couple of your past projects into it and tell me where it's wrong? Genuinely want a real flipper's eyes on it, not a sales thing happy to just give you access.

  • Lender · United States · Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    3mo

    The tracking spreadsheet is the right idea but the bigger unlock is what happens before the bid, not after.

    Two things that cut overages down fast:

    Scope of work document before anyone quotes. Not "renovate kitchen" — line by line. Cabinet brand, handle style, tile size, grout colour, appliance model numbers. Vague scope is where low bids hide.

    Milestone payments tied to inspections, not dates. Don't pay the next draw until the previous phase is done and you've walked it. Contractors who get paid on schedule regardless of progress have zero urgency. Tie payment to completion and watch how fast things move.

    On the tracking side — Tabish's scorecard columns are solid. The "why did it go over" column is the one that actually helps on the next job.

    A contractor who goes 8% over because of legitimate hidden plumbing is completely different from one who sandbagged the bid to win it. Same number, totally different rehire decision.

    One Austin-specific thing: permits and inspections here can add 3 to 6 weeks you didn't plan for. Build that buffer in before the contractor quotes or the schedule overrun becomes a budget overrun even when the work comes in clean.

    The capital side of this matters too. Most investors fund rehab draws from personal savings or credit cards running at 20%+ interest. Every week of delay on a contractor is another week of expensive carry. Worth thinking about how your rehab float is funded before the project starts, not halfway through when the overruns hit.

    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @Mick Wadley The "why did it go over" point keeps coming up and I think it's the actual core sandbagged bid vs. real hidden plumbing is the same number but the opposite rehire call, and a notes column doesn't really capture it. That's basically what I'm trying to build: structured reasons for each variance, scored per contractor over time, so the pattern (chronic sandbagger vs. honest surprises) becomes obvious by job 5 instead of job 15. Scope-before-bid and milestone draws are great prevention  I'm focused on the part that's left after you've done both and still need to know who to call next time. Appreciate the detail, this is genuinely helpful.

  • Investor · Gulf Coast · Member since 2026 · 37 posts · 13 votes
    3mo

    As a retired architect, appraiser and current investor the first thing you need to do is walk the property with your potential GC. Open some walls where work will take place. Look around to make sure the property hasn't been eaten up by termites. Look at the electrical srv, breaker box, and so on with GC eyes on. Try appliances etc. Turn on lights, Close and open doors and windows... Look for minor cracks in the slab... That's either before or after you execute your construction contract. If things change due to the property inspection so be it. Change them. Make the contract reflect the present condition. In your contract reflect the scope of work GC shall accomplish by his own means (labor, material, ways). Don't skim over this. It's one of the most important parts of rehab. Item for item spell out what's expected, with quality, type of finish and equipment spec numbers, etc. It might seem like it's a waste of time but in the end it's your safeguard. It'll stop all these CO's. Change Orders must be negotiated with the owner and have to be in writing with specifics outlined. Not some general BS. Specify when the work is to begin and when is the work to finish, specific dates. Make draw schedules are performance determined, penalties enumerated for not meeting the deadline, additional benefits the GC earns for finishing before time. Insurance criteria spelled out etc. These are the high points and will help keep you out of trouble for more info you can purchase an AIA contract at blueprint supply companies or go to the AIA website. I have to warn you those contracts are mostly blank for you to fill in the details.  

    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @JV Kaufman This is the most complete answer in the thread  the property walk with GC eyes and an item-by-item scope with finish specs is clearly where the real prevention happens. I'm not trying to replace any of that.  I'm focused on the narrow bit that's left after you've done it right: across a bunch of flips, which GC actually delivered, and why their jobs moved  real hidden conditions vs. a soft bid. Sounds like for you the contract does most of that work up front. Genuinely useful, thank you.

  • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
    3mo

    @Account Closed Makes sense sounds like consolidating into one system was the real win, not any single feature. Quick one since you've used a few: does myFlipOS (or whatever you've used) actually track contractor performance across multiple flips  like which GC tends to come in over and why or is it more per-project budgeting? Trying to figure out if that cross-project view exists anywhere or if everyone just rebuilds it each job.

  • Real Estate Coach · Austin, TX · Member since 2026 · 70 posts · 26 votes
    3mo

    Key risk on BRRRR: the refi rate matters more than the purchase rate. If rates move up 0.5% by the time you refinance in 6 months, long-term cash flow changes significantly. Have you modeled both scenarios?

    One thing to watch in Texas: property tax rates run 2.0-2.5% of assessed value, which compresses margins more than most markets.

    Are you including a capex reserve in the expense breakdown?

    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @Marnit Brown Good points on the Texas tax drag that's real. I was really asking about the contractor-tracking side though. Appreciate it.

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 866 votes
    3mo

    A simple spreadsheet goes a long way. I track original bid vs. final cost and completion date for every contractor. Also the lowest bid isn't always the cheapest contractor once the project is finished.

    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @G. Brian Davis The lowest bid isn't always the cheapest contractor once it's finished"  that's the whole thing in one sentence, honestly. The spreadsheet works; I just found that once I was juggling a bunch of contractors across projects, the patterns got buried. Curious  at how many projects did the spreadsheet start feeling like a chore for you?

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 984 posts · 643 votes
    3mo

    I wouldn't rely on memory alone. Even a simple spreadsheet can be incredibly helpful. I'd track the original bid, final cost, timeline, communication, and whether I'd hire them again. After a few projects, patterns start to emerge pretty quickly, and those records can save you a lot of money and frustration.

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club580 Reviews
    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @Denise Supplee That's almost exactly the list I landed on too  especially "would I hire them again," which is the one that really matters and the one memory lies about most. Do you find the patterns easy to spot in the spreadsheet once you're a few contractors deep, or does it get messy?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Member since 2025 · 133 posts · 84 votes
    3mo
    One thing I’d track separately: Owner-driven change orders vs contractor-driven change orders. Otherwise, a contractor can look like he blew the budget when the scope actually changed multiple times during the project. That distinction would probably make a contractor scorecard much more useful.
    • Member since 2025 · 68 posts · 28 votes
      3mo

      @Georgii Grigoriants You just described a feature I built in last week  the scorecard tags each variance by reason (owner scope change, hidden condition, material price change, or contractor underbid), and owner-driven changes don't count against the contractor's score at all. Honest overruns and sandbagged bids get scored completely differently. You clearly think about this the right way want to take a look and tell me if I got the distinction right? Genuinely want eyes from someone who sees the owner-vs-contractor nuance.

  • J CastroBusiness Member
    Lender · Florida · Member since 2025 · 698 posts · 253 votes
    3mo

    From a lender's perspective, the investors who consistently stay profitable are usually the ones who treat contractor performance like a business metric, not a memory exercise.

    I recommend tracking every contractor on three key metrics: Original Bid vs. Final Cost, Projected Timeline vs. Actual Completion, and Number of Change Orders. After a few projects, you'll quickly see who's actually saving you money and who's winning jobs with low bids only to make it up later through overruns.

    One thing I've noticed with many successful fix-and-flip borrowers is that they'd rather hire a contractor who comes in at 105% of budget every time than one who bids low and finishes at 140% of budget. Predictability is often more valuable than the lowest price.

    Another best practice is requiring detailed scopes of work and written change-order approvals before additional work begins. Many budget blowouts happen because the original scope wasn't specific enough, making it difficult to hold anyone accountable.

    The fact that you're asking this question is probably a sign that it's time to create a contractor scorecard. After 5–10 projects, you'll have hard data showing which contractors deserve repeat business and which ones are costing you profits.

    Out of curiosity, are the overruns you're experiencing mostly due to legitimate unforeseen issues behind the walls, or are they coming from scope creep and contractor underbidding? Those are two very different problems that require different solutions.

    JCREIG Capital Funding
  • Amit PrasadBusiness Member
    Investor · Member since 2026 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    3mo

    Do you sit down with your GC after every project? This is the best time to go over scope vs actual and address what went right/wrong. Every project is a learning lesson so you don't repeat the same mistakes next time. 

    MyFlipOS
    View Page
  • Member since 2026 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    3mo

    Tracking if a sub was in budget vs blew the budget is  useful but only if there is good basis in the evaluation. 

    I agree that unknown conditions are inevitable in most rehab projects and that a contingency should be carried to account for them. However, I don't think it's accurate to say there's no way to investigate what's behind the walls before work begins.

    Depending on the project's size and risk profile, owners can perform varying levels of due diligence, including exploratory demolition, selective wall and ceiling openings, sewer scope inspections, electrical evaluations, plumbing inspections, moisture assessments, roof inspections, and structural reviews. The goal isn't to eliminate all surprises, it's to reduce uncertainty and better define the scope before awarding the work.

    The procurement process also plays a significant role in minimizing change orders. Once the investigative work is complete, I prefer to have multiple contractors bid the same scope and provide detailed breakdowns of their assumptions, clarifications, exclusions, and allowances. This helps identify scope gaps early and allows owners to negotiate those items into the contract upfront rather than discovering them later as change orders.

    Contract structure matters as well. In my experience, all change orders should be documented and approved in writing before the work proceeds. If a contractor performs additional work before receiving authorization, they are generally doing so at their own risk. The same principle should apply to schedule impacts. Any request for additional time should be formally documented so the owner can track schedule creep and understand how project changes affect completion dates.

    I also believe in carrying a healthy contingency. A 20% or more contingency when possible for older homes and heavy rehabs, although the goal should be to utilize significantly less. It's always easier to manage a project with adequate contingency reserves than to find additional capital once construction is underway.

    At the end of the day, the best projects aren't the ones with zero change orders. They're the ones where the owner, contractor, and project team invest enough effort upfront to define the work, allocate risk appropriately, maintain transparency, and hold all parties accountable throughout execution.

    When schedule certainty is critical, contract provisions such as liquidated damages can also help align incentives and keep everyone focused on delivering the project on time.

    Ultimately, if you set a GC up for success and they still fall flat on their face, put them on the “do not call” list. For the ones that do well, take note of their strong suits so you know when it’s best to call them, or a different GC.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3mo

    Some good points here! 

    A couple of thoughts: All change order should be written up and approved before said work is done, they should also include any additional time expected, and they should be paid when signed.

    Having a penalty clause for going over schedule is fine, but it should always include bonuses for finishing early. Most customers balk at this part of it, and only want the contractor penalized not themselves....

    • Member since 2026 · 12 posts · 2 votes
      3mo
      Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

      Some good points here! 

       ..they should be paid when signed.

      Having a penalty clause for going over schedule is fine, but it should always include bonuses for finishing early. Most customers balk at this part of it, and only want the contractor penalized not themselves....

      Hi Bruce!

      I have to disagree to an extent with your statement “paid when signed” if the full CO is paid then there is no leverage for the owner. I’m accustomed to progress payment terms. However, I’d say it can depend on the change. If it is sizable or very large material cost, I’d say the GC should make it known that they require payment for the material once approved so they aren’t so out of pocket… I bring this up as a caution because I had a client who paid for work to get done and it took months for them to do simple work, until eventually they just stopped showing up. With a trusted GC, terms can be more flexible for sure.

      Now to your schedule point, I think there can, for sure be a conversation. When there is open and transparent communication regarding the timeline and updating the owner, I have found the owner typically has enough built-in buffer and can see first hand how honest the GC has been, that they are willing to dismiss liquidated damages at turnover. 

      It’s not often GCs or subs try to get compensated for early completion. I think that could be a talking point during contract negotiation. Usually finishing early gets you put on the favorites list; clients call you in a pinch, call you first to price a job, and recommend you to others. In my opinion that does way more for business than scraping off the top. What do you think?
    • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
      Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
      3mo
      Quote from @Octavia Richardson:
      Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

      Some good points here! 

       ..they should be paid when signed.

      Having a penalty clause for going over schedule is fine, but it should always include bonuses for finishing early. Most customers balk at this part of it, and only want the contractor penalized not themselves....

      Hi Bruce!

      I have to disagree to an extent with your statement “paid when signed” if the full CO is paid then there is no leverage for the owner. I’m accustomed to progress payment terms. However, I’d say it can depend on the change. If it is sizable or very large material cost, I’d say the GC should make it known that they require payment for the material once approved so they aren’t so out of pocket… I bring this up as a caution because I had a client who paid for work to get done and it took months for them to do simple work, until eventually they just stopped showing up. With a trusted GC, terms can be more flexible for sure.

      Now to your schedule point, I think there can, for sure be a conversation. When there is open and transparent communication regarding the timeline and updating the owner, I have found the owner typically has enough built-in buffer and can see first hand how honest the GC has been, that they are willing to dismiss liquidated damages at turnover. 

      It’s not often GCs or subs try to get compensated for early completion. I think that could be a talking point during contract negotiation. Usually finishing early gets you put on the favorites list; clients call you in a pinch, call you first to price a job, and recommend you to others. In my opinion that does way more for business than scraping off the top. What do you think?

       What do I think? Well, CO's should be paid for when requested. The GC does not initiate these and they are a royal PITA for a good GCs schedule. The customer (or Mr Murphy) usually dictates the COs and the customer should pay up-front.

      In my experience, customers always want the GC to have a penalty for late completion, but never want to take responsibility for the delays that they cause. And after decades of doing this, in my experience, most delays are directly caused by the customer. So a customer can easily cause a project to go over schedule, either by accident, or on purpose.....

      Whenever a customer mentioned doing a over-run penalty of say, $500 per day, I would say sure....but if I finish early I get the same amount as a bonus. No one ever took me up on that.

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 866 votes
    3mo

    I’d keep it simple: spreadsheet with contractor name, original bid, final cost, timeline, and notes on reliability.

    After a few projects, you’ll start to see patterns fast who hit their numbers, who constantly inflate costs, and who’s actually worth rehiring. Memory doesn’t scale once you’re doing more than a couple of flips.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.