• Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Buy, Rehab, Refinance & Hold

Michael Wentzel
  • Investor
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Posted May 22 2014, 21:43

So I'm still relatively new to the game and I'm just finishing my first rehab. My "new" strategy is to purchase run-down properties, rehab them, refinance my rehab costs back out (and hopefully my down payment) and then add the cash-flowing property to my portfolio. I'm sure I'm not the first one to try this, but I haven't come across many others doing it.

Back in January I bought a house and cottage for $32,000. I put $8,000 down and my regional bank gave me a 15-year portfolio loan for $24,000. I bought this without walking through it, which was probably my first and last time doing that. I estimated my rehab costs at $18,000, but I'm going to be closer to $23,000 when I'm done. The appraisal came back at $65,000. My bank is now loaning me 75% of that $65,000 ($48,750) on a 20-year portfolio loan at 5%.

I basically get all my rehab cash back and paid about $7000 out of pocket for two renovated houses sitting on the same property. The gross rents should be about $1150 per month and my cash flow after all expenses should be $280.

Pros-

-I would guess my maintenance costs will be lower over the next 5 years due to the rehab.

-I paid about 10% as a down payment on an investment property instead of 20% or 25%.

-I learned a lot about rehab costs and contractors.

Cons-

-It took of ton of time, work and stress.

-My loan is only fixed at 5% for five years.

My hope is that I can get my rehab costs and ARV numbers down so that I could do more deals like this and actually recoup all of my down payment and rehab costs.

Any advice or insight from those who are more experienced than me?

Mike

Loading replies...