house smells really bad from a dog

8 Replies

I'm in the process of buying a house of which the owner died and the dog stayed in the house for a few months alone (some neighbors brought him food). The entire house smells really bad. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get out the smell? Maybe some kind of paint?

If a dog lived in the house alone I'm willing to bet you're going to have to replace flooring. Soiled carpet pads won't ever smell better. 

Ryan Dossey, Real Estate Agent in IN (#RB15001099)

You will need to strip all the flooring out.  

Look at HomeDepot for a paint that is marketed as odor-suppressing.  Kilz is one primer brand I believe sells itself that way.  

Good bye to anything carpet! Also a fresh coat of paint to the walls.

Thanks all for the response,

I was planning on replacing all the floors with laminate floors and repaint entire house, will that resolve the problem.

Originally posted by @Barry Alter:

I'm in the process of buying a house of which the owner died and the dog stayed in the house for a few months alone (some neighbors brought him food). The entire house smells really bad. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get out the smell? Maybe some kind of paint?

You want to buy in a neighborhood where the neighbors left an animal for several MONTHS.  ??

Originally posted by @Barry Alt

will that resolve the problem.

How would that get rid of the idiot neighbors?

Originally posted by @Bob Bowling:
Originally posted by @Barry Alt

will that resolve the problem.

How would that get rid of the idiot neighbors?

I think he was referring to whether or not it would resolve the odor. I think that depends on if the soilage made it to the subfloor and saturated the wood. 

Usually it's really not that big of deal. Ive made some good profits of of similar houses. as long as it isn't mold. usually with pets its only takes redoing flooring. And a good airing out

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.