2 ton AC unit cost

11 Replies

For those in Tampa, Fl, what are you paying to have 2 ton AC American Standard units installed?

The cost of a new 2 ton split system heat pump is about $1500 on acwholesalers.com. I'm sure you could find someone to install and charge it for about $250-1000.

Rob I just sent you a message. I could also get a Rough estimate from him. does it need duct work,wiring a copper line set.

@Jassem A. , if you purchase a unit from acwholesalers.com, do you have any problem with the warranty being impaired?

I would just worry that if we purchased a unit from the website for one of our flips and then had someone else install it, if there was a problem, would the installer try to blame the manufacturer and vice versa?

I'm always looking at places to save a buck, but not want to cause problems in the process.  We have 3 flips we are about to start and 2 out of the 3 need new units.

a completely new system costs about $5,000.  this includes inside unit, outside (condenser) unit, and repair of easily accessed ductwork (required by law).  not included is new copper, or costs if new unit is larger and has to be located elsewhere.  installation requires a permit, and permit requires an energy form calculated by the A/C company.

if you just need either the inside or the outside unit replaced, make sure the old unit that remains uses the new R-410A freon (since 2010), not the older R-22.  R-410A is more efficient, but uses higher pressure, thus the upgrade of your old copper tubing.

I replaced a 2 1/2 ton air handler and 2 ton condenser at a rental last Oct (builders sometimes did that to squeak out a little more cooling than a 2 ton but less than 2 1/2 and save a little on the equipment cost). My guy charged $3000.

This Aug he did a 2 1/2 ton system for me for $3200. So I'd guess somewhere around $2800-3100...this is in Orlando. These were replacements not new installs requiring duct work or new line sets ect.

I just did a 3 ton split unit and got it done for $2700. I think I got a pretty good deal. I got quotes from A/C companies running around $3300 for a 3 ton split unit.

the condensers we get from acwholesalers are pre-charged & the last 2ton unit was $668 but I see they are running around $717 now.

But you also need the correctly sized/corresponding 'Evap Coil' $198 plus the line set. The cost of the latter depends on the length required.

As far as "warranty" you need to have it installed by an authorized HVAC guy. If there is a claim it needs to go back to the manufacturer for replacement, not the above supplier.

We do our own & so far out of 8 we have not had a single problem with the brand we prefer but we have had 2 failures on two other brand installs we had done over the last several years.

In both cases it was the blower/inducer motors that seized plus the need for a new capacitor.

@Julia Blythe

I've purchased from there before and the unit is warrantied by the manufacturer

If a warrantied part goes bad, I can have my HVAC guy take it to a supply house that sells goodman products and get a new part 

I've found that acwholesalers is oftentimes cheaper than the supply houses or that they will match the price of acwholesalers 

acwholesalers also sometimes has coupon codes you can enter to get 5-10% off

Originally posted by @Rob Strawder :

For those in Tampa, Fl, what are you paying to have 2 ton AC American Standard units installed? These guys are totally off as a heating and air tech for 17 years I can tell it all depends on the job and what is needed no company will send out their installers to install a complete system up to state code for $3000 unless you found someone to do a side job with no warranty and inspection with a good company you're looking around $6000 

Originally posted by @Julia Blythe :

@Jassem A. , if you purchase a unit from acwholesalers.com, do you have any problem with the warranty being impaired?

I would just worry that if we purchased a unit from the website for one of our flips and then had someone else install it, if there was a problem, would the installer try to blame the manufacturer and vice versa?

I'm always looking at places to save a buck, but not want to cause problems in the process.  We have 3 flips we are about to start and 2 out of the 3 need new units.

I see a lot of people asking on these forums about the cost of certain products.  This is a great place to get a lot of information and help arm you with an idea of what you should be spending so you don't get screwed.  But, make sure you are also using your brain!  I see several comments about buying dry systems and having a contractor install/ charge the system after the purchase.  

You can talk about upfront "cost" till your fingers / ears bleed and you are avoiding what is really important.  Don't cut corners on a system as integral as a home HVAC system!  In reality There are only about 5 actual manufacturers out there.  Here are some brands that come off the same manufacturing lines — just different paint, labels, and marketing:

• Lennox, Armstrong and Concord
• Trane and American Standard
• Carrier, Payne, Bryant and Tempstar
• York, Lux and Coleman
• Goodman and Amana

And, most of the components that make up these brands’ products are made by even fewer companies: Emerson, Johnson Controls and Honeywell.  

The real difference is the contractor that you hire to install the system.  

So, when you want the best bang for your buck talk to several heating and air conditioning contractors, look at their reviews, and when it comes down to it spending a little extra on a higher quality system and a higher quality contractor will cut huge cost in the future and eliminate multiple opportunities for headaches in your future.  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here