enclosed bathroom problem

6 Replies

A current property that I am looking at has an enclosed kitchen.  The unit is in good condition otherwise and does not justify full rehab.  Lets say median two bedroom rents in the area are $1200 with an open concept kitchen, how much of a detriment would this be to rent?  I also plan on rehabbing the floors and kitchen counter tops.

What would you guys do with this kitchen?  How would you factor this in to the deal?

I have no idea what's in the wall or what is load bearing, but if the opportunity is there, I would open up the rest of the wall where the pass through is.  If possible, I'd take it around the corner as well and give it a really open feel.  My 2 cents.

@Rob Randle 

Renters seem to tear stuff up.  As long as you could get it rented - I would take a little hit on rental price & then when your renters beat it up and move out maybe do some.  Maybe even leave the flooring and counter tops.  I really wouldn't spend any money on it.

Originally posted by @Kirk R.:

@Rob Randle 

Renters seem to tear stuff up.  As long as you could get it rented - I would take a little hit on rental price & then when your renters beat it up and move out maybe do some.  Maybe even leave the flooring and counter tops.  I really wouldn't spend any money on it.

Yeah, unless the feedback is particularly negative, I don't see much wrong with that kitchen. It's not ideal, but it's in good shape right now and doesn't look like it's 40 years old.

That wall is most likely there to provide real estate for cabinetry and is not load bearing ... it would be quite easy to determine this with certainty. 

You could remove it and put in a large peninsula with {step down} breakfast bar on the living/dining room side.   If you really need the cabinetry space (or if there is ductwork, etc) you could still have a short bulkhead from the ceiling (making it a pass through).

As for the bathroom in the title ... aren't most bathrooms enclosed .. at least in North America.

Medium greenapartmenthires 1024x1024Roy N., Louer Louer Ltd. | 1.506.471.4126

If you're planning on new counter-tops then I'd open up the wall. If not, perhaps leave it. I hate small enclosed kitchens, but if you're not adding a breakfast bar of some kind then losing that storage simply to open it up may not be worth it. 

Having CASH is always good.  Hey maybe I should try that.