asbestos wrapped boiler piping, covered in a protective jacket.

3 Replies

Hey all!

I was hoping to get some feedback on a scenario on ran into with a client yesterday.  The home had a boiler, all of the piping (asbestos) leading to the radiators was wrapped or jacketed in a protective jacket, ( to keep the asbestos from becoming disturbed and air born.)  Whoever wrapped it did a professional job.  Just looking for some opinions.  My thoughts are that it is cheaper to contain, rather than to abate the asbestos. My mind set is it's perfectly fine for the time being, however when it comes time to make any repairs in the piping or replace pipes it will be a Major expense for the homeowner.  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris Duffy 

These Class I interior asbestos jobs are the most labor intensive and have the most rigid protocols. I am looking at an exterior Class II job that should not be too bad. Your risk is in future pipe issues that, as you state, would be expensive if you contain the ACM correctly before fixing the pipes. Might be worth getting some professional estimates.

It's good to think ahead but there are a lot of hypotheticals at play and if the buyer is only going to live there 5-7 years there may never be an issue.
The average home in my market is about 70!years. With a ductwork system it's a little different than say and eletrical that would need upgraded. If it's been wrapper and contained and probably won't be disturbed anytime soon,then let it be. At the end of the day, the price of house should reflect what's needed. If it was updated would your client pay X more?

It's good to think ahead but there are a lot of hypotheticals at play and if the buyer is only going to live there 5-7 years there may never be an issue.
The average home in my market is about 70 years. With a ductwork system it's a little different than say an eletrical that would need upgraded due to safety hazard. If it's been wrapped and contained and probably won't be disturbed anytime soon,then let it be. At the end of the day, the price of the house should reflect what's needed. If it was updated would your client pay X more?

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.