Ozone Generator Recommendation, Usage Tips?

9 Replies

I have read a lot of recommendations from other REI and want to buy a Ozone generator for myself now, the immediate issue is slight dog smell and bad smoke smell.

I am hoping to get a decent one on Amazon for around $250, it seems like they have some nice units for around $250.

Are there any brands or features, output etc. that I should look for in a unit that would work well for normal sized SFH's?

From what I gather you may need to let them run for several days to really work well. Any tips on how to use them and the best way to make them work like they should?

The over all plan with the current project is, remove all carpet and padding, clean the walls and cement floor with TSP, wash everything else down with TSP or a cabinet cleaner and then run the ozone machine before painting with Zinsser BIN. Anything else I must do to get rid of the smoke and odor?

I'd say you've got it all figured out.

(Not sure if linking to a product is a no-no, apologies if it is)

We use this one -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0083UIXLW/ref=pe_385040_...

It works pretty well. The biggest key is that it needs to be in an enclosed area and left to run for a goodly period of time. Remember that ozone is heavy but dissipates quickly when the area is opened up. Use plastic sheeting to maximize effectiveness and close areas off.

@Aaron McGinnis  

That's one of the units I was considering. Do you know how many SQF is it rated for? If you were to tape off a large living room how long would it take to clean and deodorize the room? Would the idea be to move it from one room to the next until the whole house is done?

We've run it in spaces up to about 1000sqft with good results, but usually it takes at least 24 hours of continuous running and sometimes several treatments. 

One house in particular had a basement with a very strong dog smell. We didn't want to replace the floor... hit it with the ozone generator a few times for 20-24 hour treatments and then painted the walls. Problem solved... problem staying solved.

We searched on Amazon and bought the brand called "Bare Bones Ozone Generator" for $55. It's a simple looking set up and really pumps out the ozone. It requires that you place a box fan behind the unit to circulate ozone. Guess you could add a timer outlet if you wanted to leave it on for longer periods. 

just a note I think that Original Killz does a better job the Binz. It is usually slightly cheaper as well.

Good to know. I think I will go with that one on Amazon.

@Jeremy Tillotson 

Do you think that applies to the BIN Shelac primer? I noticed at Lowes there are several different types of Zinsser products.

Originally posted by @Michael J. :

Good to know. I think I will go with that one on Amazon.

@Jeremy Tillotson 

Do you think that applies to the BIN Shelac primer? I noticed at Lowes there are several different types of Zinsser products.

The Zinsser BIN shellac-based primer covers better than the oil-based Kilz, but does cost more.  You will want very good ventilation or a respirator when you apply either ... though the alcohol in the Zinsser will dry and dissipate more quickly.