Blinds / Window Treatment - What to do?

8 Replies

Below is a big window in my new rental property.  Currently, there are no window treatments or curtain rod.  Since this is my first rental, I am looking for an approach to this issue.  Should I leave it as is and let tenants put up rods?  Or should I supply rods or blinds?

Rental is higher end area and neighborhood.

You can put up a sturdy curtain rod (or 2) with some sheer type curtains and be done for less than $35 ( think Wal Mart, Big Lots, or Dollar General). This may give prospective tenants a better sense of privacy when they are viewing property. Address ownership of these items in the lease as well.

Originally posted by @Tyler H. :

You can put up a sturdy curtain rod (or 2) with some sheer type curtains and be done for less than $35 ( think Wal Mart, Big Lots, or Dollar General). This may give prospective tenants a better sense of privacy when they are viewing property. Address ownership of these items in the lease as well.

I agree with @Tyler H.. Very important to install sturdy curtain rods. If not, the new tenants may nail blankets over the windows. It wouldn't be a bad idea to install the double rods. Remember everything in a rental need to be very durable or it's sure to get broke, even then, some tenants still find a way.

I actually did buy the blind rods.  But I may have made the mistake of buying the cheapo plastic ones.  Oh well, I'll replace them with better ones once they break.  Thanks for the advice

I have gotten to the point where I am replacing closet clothes rods with EMT tubing.  I wonder if something like that might be a good option for that long of a space. You could use an enamel paint for metal to make it match the walls or trim and secure it with some good brackets and long screws into studs on the walls.  That will last a lot longer than most curtain rods and probably not cost as much.

We have just gone from verticals to a sturdy rod and curtains in one of our student rentals. Every turnover we needed to charge tenants for the broken blinds but you can just buy a pack and fill in so it is like $15 if they don't do too much damage but the rods wear out and get sticky. Since you can charge them for it , it is a non-issue.   Most of the tenants will return curtains to me when they change them out to something they want.

Make sure you check them on move out. We have sturdy wooden blinds in our home but we charge if the tenant breaks them!

We install sturdy curtain rods nothing else. But often previous tenants will leave good quality curtains/blinds that stay.

During the last rental we rehabbed I missed a large black plastic construction bag the guys stapled to over one of the the windows. After the lady moved in she asked me if it was OK to replace it with curtains!!

I'm a big fan of curtains over mini-blinds.  Mini-blinds just always seem to get destroyed whereas curtains at the most have gotten dusty but a washing solved that quickly, then they can be re-used.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here