Skip to content
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Doug Ferguson
  • Reisterstown, MD
Votes |
Is a sharp eye for detail a blessing or a curse when flipping?

Doug Ferguson
  • Reisterstown, MD
Posted Jan 4 2015, 15:28

Hey Guys,

I went to an open house at a recently finished flip today and left a little perplexed.  This was by a company that has about 12 houses on the market in the state.  Just by their scale I would have to say they must know what they are doing.  

I was not overly impressed with the details of the rehab.  The kitchen and bathrooms were done to a fine detail including the tile work, but the laminated wood floors felt very bouncy and cheap when walking through a $600,000+ house.  The painters did not prep the drywall very well and they had some thin spots in the color.  Floor transitions and the quality of the carpet install were also lacking as well as some other things I would call detail problems.   

If I were running the rehab I would have required better paint prep and detail before going to market.  I know I will have to rein in my eye for detail to stay on my budgets but I would have thought 600,000 would be when the real hardwood and thorough paint inspections kick in.  I do think this company must know what they are doing based on their inventory, but this has left me thinking...

Is having a good eye for detail a blessing or a curse when flipping?

I look forward to hearing what your experiences have been.

Loading replies...